Crisis of confidence...am I alone?

Like most here I’ve invested lots of hard earned cash for my stack and like you I love it. Mrs Pete isn’t that interested and has a hearing problem and as a result I don’t get a lot of feedback from her. Very few of my friends take much interest and most question the amount I’ve invested. Apart from the never ending help from my dealer the only critic I have is me, if I’m happy (and I am) that’s all that counts.

I find my love of music and my hi fi a very solitary endeavour.

16 Likes

It’s all just human nature!

To bastardise Forrest Gump, sound is as sound does!

My system, to me anyway, has never sounded better. I had a strategy and have kept to it and with the addition of some Witch Hat cables earlier this year has brought a refinement that I enjoy. There is always a gripe though, for me it is the loud transformer buzz from the 300PS, but most days I am able to ignore it and my last throw of the dice will be the arrival of an Airlink Balanced Transformer and if that doesn’t improve things I either have to live with it or get the transformer replaced.

Some days, are off days when I don’t enjoy the music so much, but that is just me and my mood. Most times I’m really into the sound and love to go off exploring on Tidal and following up on recommendations from this forum. An example is I settle down to read my camera magazine with the music on and I really don’t get very far as the magazine is put down and I’m really into the music.

I do often wonder if it would sound better with X or Y, but don’t want to upset the balance. I suppose in a perfect world I would have two systems, one for listening and another to try out new equipment…

Tim

2 Likes

Yes, but it’s in block capitals entirely, which is irritating to read, as if I were being shouted at. So I gave up. (Probably the opposite of what was intended by the shouty Member.)

2 Likes

Something not often recognised is that our hearing is not a constant, and changes from time to time, sometimes abruptly, sometimes more gradually, sometimes subtly, sometimes more noticeably, and due to physiological effects (I’m talking reversible changes, nothing to do with age-related hearing loss) - which may explain times when a system doesn’t sound so good.

3 Likes

“ I have the odd friend who gets it” so do I , but he isn’ an audiophile , he used to make atomic bombs :bomb: for this country.

The idea of high performance cables was one he got immediately

4 Likes

I’ve recently changed my entire system, and there is no realistic upgrade path for it.

Because of this when I listen to music I am not thinking could it sound better if I added another expensive box, or a fancy switch, a dedicated mains supply? I can tell you that makes listening to music so much more enjoyable! I tried EQ with Roon, but always come back to the original sound, so don’t bother any more.

Your setup looks well balanced to me, so in the words of Bobby McFerrin “Don’t worry, be happy”

7 Likes

It has been a long time since I’ve had pre power Naim kit and even then nothing as rarified as your system.

However, I have been a regular reader of this forum for a few years…

When forumites ask questions related to where next, not happy with xxx, suffering from upgraditis etc. The frequent reply from many experienced members is “power supply”

I am not familiar with the CHC ‘super cap’ non-Naim PSU listed in your profile but it stands out as a possible weak link?
Others, more knowledgeable, may have further insight

But if you’re basically happy with the sound just enjoy the music and not listen to the boxes

2 Likes

I had been running at the lower cost side of the Audiophile equipment scale for years.
My previous system peeked at sub £10k and was fine up to a point, but I had wanted an LP12 for over 30 years.
Last year I finally jumped in and agreed a spec with my dealer and he built my wonderful deck for me.
This was a big problem, as it immediately showed up my amplifiers and left me wanting everything it COULD deliver. The ‘Rabbit Hole’ opened before me and now I am only 1 sleep away from realising my dream of a Linn LP 12 fronted Naim System that cost significantly more.:man_shrugging:t2:
I expect to gain many months of frustrating listening as the whole system beds in and opens up.
THERE WILL BE NO UPGRADES!… he lied to himself…
The moral to this missive is “…don’t seek perfection, just follow your bliss and enjoy the fruits…”
If it ain’t broke enjoy it!
If it is, then seek the solution and enjoy the ride😊

4 Likes

Does the perceived degradation apply to all recordings? Then probably something needs fixing … but if some recordings sound amazing and others naff then that’s just a quality system doing its job. Some say forget the sound its’ all about the music. If that were true we’d all be listening on transistor radios (or Alexa :)) But with fantastic resolving power (which all of our systems have to one degree or another) comes the truth about masters mixed down for car stereos or halls where they just couldn’t get the mikes right in the time available. Don’t start chasing the “perfect sound” by fiddling with cables etc. would be my advice, after a week the improvements will be forgotten in my experience.

1 Like

I never listen to music just as background noise. When I use my system I always pick out some music and sit and listen. I do this alone, my wife has no interest in my system or most of the music I play. I don’t have anyone to ask if in there opinion the system sounds good. Sometimes I sit down to listen and it just doesn’t engage me, I put this down to being overtired or not in the mood in which case I just turn it off and come back gresh another time. I do often wonder what upgrading say the cartridge or power supply would do but when it’s sounding great I think how much better can this get and leave it alone. I think my system is well balanced except maybe the power amp but instead of upgrading I’ve decided to get it serviced and keep it. There is always something better out there you just have to decide for yourself if the level you have reached satisfies you. If you are enjoying the system and all you want to do is go and buy more music then I would say leave it alone and enjoy your investment.

1 Like

‘Blimey’.

G

That’s 27 years of collecting G :upside_down_face:

3 Likes

I’ve been at it 40 years and have also found my stopping point. That second 555PSDR snapped everything in to place.

Thankfully.

G

2 Likes

Totally agree Dave two obvious candidates for crappy sounding albums ‘Crosby Stills & Nash’ and Meatloaf ‘Bat Out Of Hell’ Both sound awful on a well set up rig - nothing can make them sound good
IMO :smile:

4 Likes

You couldn’t let it lie, could you!

2 Likes

:joy::joy::joy:

G

1 Like

100%. Even if I try that the music takes over. It is immersive but also rewarding and reinvigorating.

2 Likes

Hi.

When the hairs on the back of your neck stand tall you know it sounds good. Maybe others may judge differently but other peoples views really don’t matter, only yours.

Keep enjoying not worrying!

Regards,
Colin.

3 Likes

Next time just edge down the row a little … you’ll discover many more artists beginning with many other letters.

2 Likes