Critic NAP250 DR Review

I went through the order process, paid, received the confirmation and thank you email etc. Next day I got a refund from Paypal.

Turns out they are working on a new payment solution planned to be up & running when the next volume (#2) comes out. Till then, they refund EU orders.

The 250 DR is out for a good few years and the press coverage faded. It would be good indeed to have this fresh 2022 review on the Naim website imo.

5 Likes

Why not take a quick look at FB :wink: Maybe not all but a taster.

Dear Sir,

I’d like to ask if Martin provides any score for 250 DR at the end of the review as I’m now considering it with the Supernait Two which Martin scores 77. The original 250 just scores 26. Thank you.

Regards,
Paul

1 Like

MC seems to have gone away from his numerical scoring system, but gives the 250DR an ‘Audio Excellence’ rating.

1 Like

Thank you, James. I’ll get a copy for making decision.

1 Like

I added a witch hat xlr to din between the Hi Cap and a 250DR. Well worth it.

1 Like

The best part of the review for me was a timely reminder of why Julian started to design his own amplifiers in search of that elusive ‘liveness’ that you get with live music. Naim have stayed true to this vision in their products that I have heard and owned. Long may that continue…

6 Likes

The regular one or Morgana?

Cheers!

Hi I used Morgana cables with nap 250DR. I then upgraded the power cables and added an Audioquest Niagara 3000. I used Audioquest and Entreq cables for the power and entreq earth boxes. My hope is I have optimised the system with help of a well respected dealer. I have Tellurium ultra speaker cables. The difference to the sound is it is more whole and relaxed. The most noticeable was the hi cap to 250 and I believe worthwhile. I suppose I could have upgraded to a 300 but given how good a 250 is, it’s my view optimising what I have was the right way to go.

2 Likes

The NAP 250DR just shot up in value after your remark there although I suspect it may be an uncommon experience.

1 Like

Indeed, that is completely different to my experience. I would put the 300 way ahead of the 250 in any system I’ve heard. It shows the importance of matching components as you build a system and choosing with your own ears, as there are exceptions to every rule.

3 Likes

Yes, agreed. It would be weird to have a significantly costlier 2 boxes outperform a 1 box, same manufacturer.

Which Audioquest and Entreq power cables do you use? I currently evaluate AQ Blizzard and so happy with its performance I’ve ordered Thunder to compare. Also have Entreq Apollo power cord in the way for testing.

I did this as well, for the shielding. Just the Hatpin 4 DIN/XLR was a small but worthwhile improvement as my cables are in a cramped area and hard to dress properly.

1 Like

Hi Entreq Primer to the 250 and Audioquest Hurricane to the Niagara .

Have you compared Primer to anything else in the 250? Result?

I had a preference for a 250-2 over a 500 when I first installed the 500, and after I’d moved its ps up the right stack to lift the Burndys off the floor. It was only when I moved the 552 higher and further from all the ps that the 500 showed its worth. You buy yourself some tougher setup requirements when you go up the range.

Anyone compared the newer 250s versus a pair of 135s? I have 135s in two systems and an olive 250 in a third. The 135s are better at low volumes, and overall quite a step from older 250s.

1 Like

Naim recommend we keep electronics separated and separate racks if possible. I did that keeping power cables away from those between source and pre amp.

2 Likes

I’ve not read the article but my understanding is the HFC staff preferes the 250DR over the 500DR. Less is more being the explanation. Being a 500 owner I’m a bit skeptical, but I’d love to demo a new 250DR in my system just to see how good it sounds. I heard the 200DR a few years back and was very impressed with its sound. The 250DR must be very special.

1 Like