Cross Roads CDX2 or a streamer

G’day bailyhill, I worked that out after reading your post for a second time. Thank you for responding. AFter reading all the replies for a third time. I am gathering a better understanding of the terms. I am not sure which device to start with, Though I gather there are CD rippers that rip CDs error free to a SSD. Therefore I require a ripper and mass storage unit of some sort. Using the CDX MK2 as a standard. Are there any recommendations for a ripper and storage unit please? Possibly time to re-visit the dealer again.

Warm regards,

Paul.

Cleverer than the NDX2 hardware optimisation?

.sjb

The NDX2 is not optimised for CD… and the CDX2 uses the Texas Instruments PCM1704K, the same as used in the ND555, CD555, NDS and NDAC… albeit a lesser implementation. The streamers use a more generealised DSP using an Analog Devices SHARC processor engine running oversampling and low pass filter… and some other conversion functions.
The CDX2 is very special and it’s DSP had similarities with the CD555…

But all this is kind of irrelevant, it’s the performance that counts… you spin up a CDX2 mk1 on a Fraim shelf with a Hiline interconnect into a top class NAC like a 252 or 552 and what it brings to the party is obvious. Sure not all CDs and masters gel with the CDX2… but you feed it some 70s and 80s rock, Bob Dylan or Lou Reed… it sounds wonderful within it’s comfort zone.

All audio playback is a compromise and every playback device imparts it’s character… to me you choose those replay devices where you enjoy that character and the style of reproduction gels with you. It’s why some have turntables and CD and/or streamers…… The CDX2 is one of my choices…

4 Likes

Thank you Simon-in-Suffolk.

I’m not sure that anyone has mentioned the special pleasure you can get by swinging open the door on the CDX2, lowering the CD gently onto the tray, adding the puck and closing the door again, which shuts with a quiet and satisfying well-engineered clunk. Then settling back to listen to the music. It’s a special Naim thing and you participate yourself in a part of that Naim history when you play a CD on a CDX2.

I’m lucky enough to have a CDX2 and a 272/Core, so I can stream or I can play CDs. I wouldn’t want to be without either (but I have resisted going back to vinyl so I have saved the cost of all that). In terms of SQ, I’m not sure I hear any difference between the CDX2 and upnp from the Core. So it’s all about the theatre.
Best
David

7 Likes

Hello Paul

I use the Naim Unity Core for ripping. Soon to acquire a Roon/Nucleus+ with storage. I use a pc all day for my work, hobby, and paying bills. I fight with computer issues all the time with Astronomy software on my remote telescope, so I wanted to go separately for my music system.

Started with CDP last year but quickly morphed into streaming so I could put more resources there. I TIDAL first and then download the Hi Res if available.

1 Like

Agree on this, plus with a CD, having the pleasure of handling a well made card digipak or box. Not a CD in a plastic jewel case though, which are horrible. I can’t believe there are respected recording companies out there still using the plastic cases, as ECM do, for example.

1 Like

Buy a turntable

1 Like

If you own many CDs, like buying them, collecting them, the ritual of a single album go for Cd2x, it sounds excellent and might be the last cd that you own

But…

Streaming is a huge convenince, far easier to find everything, Tidal is a bliss for discovering new music, checking everything…

So I don’t see cd and streaming as a this or that… both are very good

If you like classical music and buy box sets cd is a must

I listen cds and got a top source, streaming is less critical so I use a sp1000 at the moment but eying a ndx2, I don’t want to go nd555 route because of the price, this tech is fast and will be faster

For headphones, open ones are always better but if you are in a noisy environment or somebody is near you the story changes, they are like Bluetooth speakers

Even a mojo will rock your word with a hd6xx… no need to spend too much for headphone amp/dac at a start… there are so many good value options

1 Like

My impression is that 99% of CDs are in plastic “jewel cases”, and most of the remainder in flimsier cardboard cases.

If you rip to stream the case is irrelevant - and to my eyes much of the text in CD inserts is too small to be easily readable in anything other than strong light, so on a tablet where I can enlarge at will is great.

As a generalisation, to my mind LPs are the only recordings where sleeves and their notes and inserts are pleasurable, enjoyable to hold and view/read - shame that the medium is too flawed, otherwise retention of the best ones in that format would be an option. Having said that, I suppose there is no reason why not have the LP for the sleeve, and stream from one’s own digital store. If limited to the most interesting albums that might not require massive storage space, though obviously with the added cost of buying the LP - except even then for that purpose it may be possible to buy secondhand, not worrying what state the vinyl is in as long as tge sleeve is in good condition…

1 Like

Did you mean buying that way as a box set and ripping from that to play? If so I can see the benefit if there is a booklet, such as one with the libretto that you can follow while the music is playing, while realising the advantages of streaming from your own store including the removal of any the need to change disks part of the way through a long work.

1 Like

Much of what you suggest would seem a good strategy for reading the notes. Most of the CDs I buy, though, have never been released on vinyl. Anyway, I find most of the CDs arriving now are in card cases, Harmonia Mundi, Naive, Alpha, DG, and it is good to note, BIS are moving to what they call their ecopak for their future releases.

no not ripping, buying them and listen them one by one… I can not imagine ripping 333 Bach Cds… by the way they are at great price in amazon de at the moment, I just pulled the trigger on them after the Mozart one

1 Like

I ripped over 500 CDs fairly quickly after deciding not to replace my CD player, converting to streaming. A fairly quick and easy process, I just did it on a computer while doing other things. It took a lot longer few years earlier to rip over 400 LPs, because they had to be done in real time - mind you that was a great exercise, playing every single LP I had…

1 Like

With CDs coming in cardboard disk holders. Would they not scratch the disk when removing and inserting the CD? I did purchase a Fleetwood Mac triple CD cardboard pack. Only to have some glue on the CD. Yes the disk was exchanged but this is not the point. It was a disappointment. I suppose I cannot complain if this is all I have to worry about.

As has been pointed out previously. I also enjoy selecting the CD and if it becomes one of my favourites. It may end up in the lefthand stack pigeon hole where I place all my favourite CDs reside. Some times they are removed and others take their place. Further enjoyment is received when inserting the CD into its draw. Pushing the draw closed. Sitting back in our comfy lounge and pressing play on the remote control when I am settled. Then entering another world when the music starts.

Will I receive the same enjoyment from a Streamer? I will have to speak to my HiFI dealer about this. I do not know if there are any native streamed music databases located in Australia. If they are not local that may mean possible buffering as I share my line with the slow connection everybody else is on in our neighbourhood, then Australia, Then the world. Our internet connection is about 40 MB/s. It is due to our location and fibre to the node. That is as fast as it is ever likely to be until a government decides to take fibre to the premises.

Question? If a Streamer is capable of downloading, playing music off the internet at 24bit/192kHz. Does this mean I will require an internet bandwidth of 24 x 192kHz = 4.6GB/s?

My current internet is 43MB/s

Warm regards,

Paul.

192kHz/24bit is 9,216 mbps.

1 Like

Whether you would get the enjoyment is not something on which your dealer can advise, other than simply:

If your enjoyment is from the physical media and action of closing drawer etc, then the answer is no.

If your enjoyment is from sitting in your comfy lounge and pressing play on the remote control when I am settled, then entering another world when the music starts, then exactly the same (though with streaming, at least from your own store, has the potential to sound better). You also can browse and choose your next piece of music and queue it before the first finishes, or change your mind and play something else without leaving he comfort of your seat (but you can still get up if you feel the need for the exercise!) Depending on the size of your collection, potentially it may be easier with streaming to browse and pick out forgotten gems, while most software allows you to identify favourites in some way or another - but without moving them out of their proper filing location.

2 Likes

Thank you again to every one’s thoughts, experiences and recommendations. All is very much appreciated.

In the short term I think will go with a CD player as both my wife and I will be able to use it. I do all the networking and setup issues at home and unless it is simple to select music like a CD or a Vinyl record I do not think Shelley will use it. Our record player is a novelty floating disc record player which can be viewed at https://www.gramovox.com/pages/floating-record which does take up less physical space. There is a phono output for a phono amplifier or maybe an amp input for a phono stage. I am a little out of touch.

As Shelley likes to Netflix and use her iPad at the same time. I may have to purchase an iPad for myself at a later date and then look at a streamer. We both own iPhones, though mine is a 5SE which does not have the largest of screens though serves its purpose as a GPS for my motor bike when I am on overnighters and new RV points with the boys.

I do own a lot of Bach which has been recommended by forum members here on this Forum site. I also do own a Decca complete collection of Luciano Pavarotti. Plus a lot of rock from the 80’s and 90’s. Before, in my opinion it all went down hill with dooph dooph music that our adult children listen too. Our parents probably said the same about us. As I recall my father listening to Frank Sinatra and my grandmother to Vera Lynn.

The headphones will be a closed headphone type and I will probably spend lots of dollars on these as the loud speakers will only be used in moments when I am by myself or enjoying a single malt with my brother.

Then I will purchase a Ripper and a Streamer. At first I was put off by streamers. Though I think it will be fun setting up playlists and chasing down old and new music from Apple Music and other streamer websites. Which leads to the next question. Which can possibly answered here or by my dealer as we are located in Australia. I do not know as yet what works best here for our local situation as which streaming site to sign up with.

Warm regards,

Paul.

I appreciate that the CD case design as never been to everyone’s liking but to me it’s just so simple to use.

1 Like