Curiosity killed the cat…

In a way, but it is for shielding between the two signal conductors: separate shields rather than a common one is to reduce crosstalk between the two channels. How significant crosstalk may be, likely depends on cable length and signal strength.

So is the cable making and adding the extruded sheath all done in a single process? If you are making say a coax lead, how does that work where the two smaller cables are made, then the ground added, and then the outer sheath? I imagine the smaller cables are made first, stored, and then put through a second or third process. As you can tell, it’s not something I’ve really thought about before!

Do you mean when making rca? The lavender doesn’t have individual shields on the +ve channels as far as I can see.

Ah you mean the chord offerings😅

They would then have two different ground wires running from one grounding point. I wonder how that affects the sound?

Just before it closed, I went to the old Pirelli factory in Southampton. It used to make submarine cables (to go underwater, not in the boat) in one run, reeled straight onto the ship.
Obviously, it had little to do with hi-fi cables, but it was impressive.

2 Likes

Naim used to use Pirelli cable for their mains leads ( look for the Pirelli marking on the outer sheath) - still excellent all these years later. Somewhere I still have a 4 or 5 metres for making up custom length leads.

1 Like

Hi,

I’m using just lavenders in my system - one DIN 5/180 - DIN 5/180, one DIN 4/240 to DIN 5/180, one 2xRCA to DIN 5/180, one 2xRCA to 2xRCA. They were assembled by an authorized technician bar the first, a standard one. They all sound perfect to me…

1 Like

I have a Hiline that is significantly better than my Lavenders and an rca to din Lavender from riaa. Then of course burndies and snaics all Naim original.

One of the more fun cables is the din 4 to xlr for the 250. It’s a simple looking power cord that Naim has chosen and in my system it is very good! It shows all changes in cables and tweaks in the system and the system sound sublime.

1 Like

The original “lamp” wire cable or?

I’ve tried to simplify the process as there are so many variants.

All cable starts from basically 8mm copper rod which is drawn down to the required size.

If it is single core, it is then has an extruded sheath put on.

If it is multi-strand it’s made to the right size and number of strands, which could be single core or multi-strand. Insulation, such as PTFE tape is added, then it is wound together, then the extruded sheath is put on.

DG…

Bunch of One Hit Wonders and as for the singer’s name, well…

Oh, wait.

Yes the original.

I’ve had a couple of HiLines, but now I use only lavenders… :slight_smile:

This must be a way to prove that there is more ways than one to skin and extrude a cat ?

2 Likes