DAC and Phono Option with minimum boxes

Hi Craig - whilst you could do this, it would be so much easier, as you’ve already done the hard work of ripping your CDs, to just run a UPnP server and use the ND5XS2 that way. I know you’re not interested in streaming services at the moment, but at least going the ND5 route rather than the Naim DAC route gives you the option in the future.
I never thought I would use streaming services, but a trial of Tidal changed my mind. I now use Qobuz along with my ripped CDs and really enjoy having both options, in my case via Roon.

James

1 Like

If you’re not going to use a Naim streamer as a streamer (i.e. over a network) you are really wasting your money. Better to buy a DAC with suitable inputs, i.e. USB and/or SPDIF, then you’ll get something better for your money. The ND5XS2 is already a lower level device than a Supernait really deserves (An NDX2 would be a good match) so why buy one and make a large part of its abilities redundant by bypassing them.
A Naim NDAC or one of many other brands would give you better sound quality for the same price or less.

I’ve still to look in depth at UPnP servers that will support FLAC. I may build some virtual machines to evaluate different OS platforms and UPnP options.
I’ve always used a PC or Mac to directly output the audio to my “hifi” and, in the case of video music, also sending the video to a monitor/screen. Video music could be the issue with the streaming option and with the lack of native interface options on the Mac Mini.
I am curious about streaming as was stunned by the quality of Radio Paradise that I’ve heard for the first time so plenty to look into.

I can understand that it’s a costly option to use the streamer as a DAC - but I want to keep the same brand, benefit from a 5 year warranty (only available on new gear) and have an upgrade path. The cost of the NDX2 was to high for me to justify - would it not also be money spent on options I don’t need?
I’m pretty new to the current state of simple but upgradeable units that support turntable, RCA and digital inputs without going down the Uniti path, so I’ve had to compromise.

Yes, the NDX2 is same in terms of redundancy. I just mentioned it because it’s a sound quality match for the SN3 whereas the ND5 is a bit of a weak match in purely relative terms. It will still work well though.
You might think you’re not interested in streaming, but internet radio is a form of streaming, and something that Naim have been actively pushing as a high quality format. They have a long standing relationship with Radio Paradise and their streamers support their lossless FLAC streams natively.

This is not complicated. In practice there are two tried and tested, well supported UPnP servers for music, Asset and Minimserver. They will both work on a wide variety of platforms, and will find and serve FLAC and other music formats from network storage with ease. Sign up for their free trials, load them onto a NAS, PC, Mac or whatever, and choose the one you like best.

2 Likes

Thanks for that advice as it helps cut down the seemingly endless choices out there. I’ll definitely check into those two products.

I never had any intention of radio streaming so will look into option further.
I’ve bought the SN3 and NDX5 as a pair as it will give me the long term option to upgrade components should I think it warrants it.

Oh dear - my replacement SuperNait 3 arrived from Naim today but was left out in the rain - I’m waiting for it to dry out.

In anticipation, I connected the SNAIC to the NDX5 and there’s so much wobble in the connection it appears that the system board is not fasten to the chassis at that corner.

I’m awaiting a response but with 2 out of 2 units faulty, it has dented by confidence.

That’s awful about the SN3, sounds like the amp itself got wet?

The loose socket might be meant to be that way. I’m fairly sure some of them are, the ones on my Stageline do exactly that, I think it’s a decoupling thing. If I could caveat that any more I would, I’m sure someone else who knows for sure will confirm!

That’s dreadful - Hope it’s just the box that got wet.

Fortunately I think it’s only the box that got wet.
The courier that collected the original fauly SuperNait told me they’d never leave a delivery outside - the delivery courier that left it outside was a different company.
It was really heavy rain.

I hadn’t thought about it being part of a decoupling design. A video has been passed to Naim so I’ll hopefully find out soon.

2 Likes

I just got home and checked. You know when you’re sure you’re sure, but aren’t quite!? Anyway, all the DIN sockets on my Stageline, CD5 and XS3 wobble. The source components more than the amp, but they’re definitely not hard mounted to the chassis

The Din plug will wobble about in the socket but the socket itself shouldn’t. It’s not a Snaic that goes between source and SN3, but a standard 180° interconnect.

1 Like

Thanks for checking that - that sets my mind at ease.
I’d never had thought a wobble would have been designed into it.
That’ll let me crack on with hearing it for the first time.
I originally had to drive 400 miles to get it due to supply problems.

Well, Hungry Halibut isn’t often incorrect, so I’m a bit confused at this point! Maybe wait for the response from Naim themselves. Tell you what though, if they say it isn’t normal, I’ll be sorting a service out for my gear pretty quickly X) Maybe all three of us are describing a different thing though?

ok, I’ve now triple checked, the socket itself is definitely loose on all my source ends, a good few mm of travel, maybe as much as 5mm. The amp is less for sure, but they categorically are not mounted hard to the casing, maybe a mm or two of play. The cables fit snuggly to the sockets, if you wiggle the two together it’s the socket on the box that moves, not the cable/plug in the socket.

Yes, the wobble is intentional - all part of Naim’s decoupling to ameliorate the effects of microphonics. On the 5 series the sockets are hard soldered onto the PCB which is mounted on compliant mounts. The rear of the chassis has the holes cut out a few MM wider to clear the sockets and allow them some movement without coupling to the chassis. All clever stuff, but perhaps somewhat alarming if you didn’t know about it beforehand.

1 Like

I have an ND5XS2. I use wifi connection from a cheap network service and a generic router. I also use my old iPhone 6S to control the Naim app. I don’t seem to have any problems with it.

Since I also have an XS3 for amplification, I use system automation so I don’t use the Nait’s remote. I control volume, mute, and input selection via the Naim app in my Jurassic iPhone. Again, flawless operation.

1 Like

I’m very confused. I answered the post after checking the sockets on my SN3 and have checked again this morning. With the collar on a Naim interconnect locked, there is no movement of the socket when wiggled. The wire itself moves, so maybe the inside bit of the socket with the pins is compliant, while the outer is fixed. I’ve owned boxes in the past where the whole socket moves, but the SN3 certainly isn’t like that, and the NDX2 is just the same.

1 Like

The Supernait 3’s DIN sockets are fixed to the chassis (with wires connecting to the main board) so should not move. Same for the NDX2.

1 Like