Dac V1 and Qutest?

Maybe the V1 needs [better] isolation on its USB input? I certainly found my Mac Mini, running Audirvana fully optimised with dedicated USB bus, via Gustard U12 isolator-converter then SPDIF into Hugo1 Better sounding than ND5XS into Hugo1. And In a brief comparison same Mac Mini direct into Chord Dave was indistinguishable from a Melco N1.

Sure, but you also arenā€™t going straight into a V1 with a mini. Not sure how what you list above is related (different dacs, spdif convertors, etc etc). IME Iā€™ve found the better the streamer into the V1, the better it gets, but of course like all things in audio, YMMV.

1 Like

I have never had the chance to test a Qutest.
But I have a headless Apple MacMINI dedicated as a transport (using Audirvana+) only to the Naim DAC V1. The USB cable is Audioquest Carbon. And Iā€™m very pleased with this duo. The biggest difference in the SQ, to me at least, is coming from the sound engineerā€™s mastering work. Even a CD quality FLAC can bring me a real musical pleasure and in the same time a poor mastered DSD file can disappoint me.
So I canā€™t discussed my personal experience with the difference between the two DACs but just before reading this thread I red ā€œSpotify! It ainā€™t so badā€ one. And there you can find that a lot of members with more than entry level Naim systems are quite satisfied with Spotifyā€™s 320 kps. So if you are content with such a source quality maybe there is no big issue Qutest or V1. But if you are more critical the best option will be a home demonstration if thatā€™s possible. And you could decide based on you personal experience.

2 Likes

Great impressions and advice.
Although I donā€™t use Spotify (cannot stand it as a corp., but thatā€™s a separate issue), 320kps sounds really quite awesome on any number of pre-programmed Internet Radio stations I switch between.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.