DAC-V1 with a NAP200?

I currently run a Uniti-1 (2010 with upgraded streamer board) into a NAP200. The Uniti screen is almost dead and is now reporting an error 28 - I think!

I only ever use the digital source inputs on the Uniti - mainly local UPnP from NAS. No need for analog, CD, radio etc.

Would a used DAC-V1 into the NAP200 provide a sensible replacement to the Uniti rather than send it to Naim for repair?

Is the DAC and pre-amp of the DAC-V1 an improvement to the Uniti?

Thanks in advance for any guidance.

You will need to find a way to get the music data into the V1 as it’s a DAC , not a streamer, so a UPnP server is no use. It needs a USB or SPDIF source.

If you can do this I suspect you will find that it sounds pretty good, and probably a nice improvement over the Uniti.

Having said that, what will you do with the Uniti? If you don’t get it serviced it’s just a doorstop.

Hi ChrisSU

Yes, understand I need a streaming transport or computer to feed the DAC.

You are right that repairing the Uniti is probably the sensible approach in that I get a working unit that meets my needs for a few more years. As it is it is worthless. The cost to repair it is almost exactly what I might expect if I tried to sell it on fully working.

Given I have to part with cash either way, I wondered if I could get an upgrade in sound (with less features) for not a lot more than a repair.

I’ve never compared them side by side, but I suspect you will find the V1 to be an upgrade from the Uniti when used into a 200. Remember that it has the same type of screen as the Uniti so that probably won’t last forever either.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.