Daft Question Time - Active Speakers/System

Thanks for trying to explain but unless the frequencies are split and unique to that range of the drive unit the same as a separate Aktiv crossover works.
I’d be very interested to try the treble wires into the bass unit and see if it’s frequency generated or not.
I get all the processing before the power amps but unless the power amps are split to the different drive units frequency range then I’m not convinced with the terminology.
Maybe I’m having a Father Ted morning. :scream: :zipper_mouth_face:

I think you are. Logic says it has to be working as DG says. To connect two amplifiers to the Kudos 606, the metal links on the back have to be removed. If standard biamp was connected, both bass and treble drivers would receive full range signal and the tweeters would instantly fry.

Nothing fried with people bi amping they still get full range.
That’s what I’m trying yo ask are the outputs frequency dependant or not.
All bi amp systems are full range it’s only cut down by electronic crossover that isn’t.

I know, but in passive biamp you still use the passive crossover. By removing the links on the back of a Kudos 606 you bypass the crossover. Connecting biamp will fry the tweeters, therefore the Linn must be splitting the frequencies. Anyway, I’m not sure why we are even discussing this; if Linn says it’s active, Kudos says it’s active, Cymbiosis installed it as active, it’s clearly active.

Thanks everyone for chipping in, learning lots which is a great help understanding how systems get put together.

I only asked if the amp split the frequencies.
Removing the links is the same as removing plates it’s only access to that part of the passive crossover.
Unles the frequencies are split to match the drivers then it isn’t Aktiv it’s wonky Aktiv
And if the passive crossovers in the cabinet aren’t disconnected completely it still isn’t Aktiv
Simple. :+1:t2:
Just because someone calls something a name doesn’t mean it’s right.

Stay away from Naim Active systems if your goal is to avoid multiple boxes, cables, and interconnects. Addictive sound but much more complex set up. Naim speakers were designed for active and passive use back in the day…

2 Likes

Been there and done it all multi boxes and got rid and went minimised.

1 Like

This is what the Kudos website says.

There are two things to note, which support what I wrote above and which for some reason you choose not to believe. 1. Removing the links bypasses the crossover. It’s not like removing biwire links on a standard biwirable speaker. 2. Exakt can enable active operation.

Thanks for taking the effort with the info but still seems a fudge to what is properly Aktive not just multi amp split.
All I wanted to know was did the amps put out in different split frequencies.
I thought that was a simple question but it’s replied like politics.
I’ve had passive and multi amp and active “ real “ but this seems like a collection of gobbledygook avoiding the real question and renaming something for the sake of sounding technically superior.
I’d love to hear the treble outputs connected to the bass with the bass leads removed. :wink:

Oh and Exakt isn’t a crossover it’s a speed matching software technology not frequency splitting.

I think a key question regarding the Linn Approach is whether you can separately adjust levels and phase (timing) of bass/treble, and if relevant mid, power amp modules relative to each other, and crossover frequency(ies) and filter slope(s). Or does the Linn SO definitely do all that when particular speakers are selected in its list, having that info already in its memory bank? (I ask because last time I looked at their SO, a few years ago, it appeared to just tailor frequency response to get the best out of different speakers.)

The one thing I want to avoid is a big box count, at the moment I have TT/Power supply/Phono stage/CDT/Amp then obviously out to speakers, 5 boxes, 5 plugs, 5 mains leads, then all the other cables.

Hopefully through these discussions I can come up with a way to get the box count down whilst improving the overall SQ. So far it has been very enlightening.

2 Likes

The answer is ‘yes’… I don’t do politics… :wink:

1 Like

Thank you. :wink: :+1:t2:
What are they afraid off. :thinking:

Thats very right, there are however small active setups possible.

One thing I’d like to try is:
Nait 5 (pre amp and power amp splitted)
Ixo (LF to Hicap / Nait 5, HF to Nap 140)
Hicap
Nap 140
… into IBL’s

Thats an active setup which probably will let the IBLs sing. NDX2 would be the appropriate source I guess :slight_smile:

Thanks for the clarification. I hadn’t realised that the crossover in the Kudos 20As could be bypassed. I guess that’s what the “A” stands for. Doh!

Roger

There’s some info in the FAQs on ATC’s website about what they see as the advantages of active operation which might be worth a read. For me, quite apart from box count, active, or at least ATC’s implementation of it, brings something a bit special to the party which I find addictive. But we all prioritise different things in our pursuit of SQ and as I suggested above the result does not appeal to everyone. Auditioning where possible is always the safest way to choose.

Do keep us informed how you get on.

Roger

2 Likes

Slightly off topic but when I was at ATC, discussing various active approaches, Richard Newman (engineering manager) spoke about some “brand X” actives that they reviewed that used DSPs giving interesting results. A wide left to right separation but an uncomfortable overall effect. This was described as no depth, forward to back presentation.
I didn’t ask further questions regarding this approach as I always wanted fully analogue active speakers.
I would be very surprised if ATC are not evaluating DSPs, they seemed to be experimenting with everything else but I doubt they would promote them until there is a significant benefit.
Paul.

Yep you understand it completely

1 Like

If you want the benefit of active with low box count there are other options besides active speakers.

• Single driver full range crossoverless speakers. You won’t need an active crossover or even a separate pre and power amp. The benefit of an active system is less the active crossover and more that the amplifier is directly coupled to the drive units without a crossover. I actually do this in one system.
  • Multi channel amplifiers with active crossover. For example Daniel Herz integrated amps have an onboard crossover and four channels of amplification.

We are currently in an age where there is definitely many ways to skin the proverbial cat.

Let’s not forget passive crossovers have massively improved as have amplifiers’ capability to deal with them. Many high end speakers offer no active option at all.

I’d say active os a cherry on top rather than a goal unto itself. You have to like the speakers passive first. As such, I’d never restrict my choice to speakers that have a way to active.

3 Likes