Danny Baker sacked by the BBC

The theme in common perhaps is ridiculing an innocent minor or someone without capacity, royal or not, it’s not really funny whatever the intent.

He was ridiculing the institution, not the baby.

1 Like

Of course, but tell that to the mother.

Maybe it’s just poor comic timing :slight_smile:

So we’ve come round from him being an awful racist ba…rd, to being a bit rude to a mother? Progress at least.

1 Like

Don’t think I ever said that.

Neither (imho) did DB intend to be racist. In both cases we can claim the opposite tho.

From his £2M home ironically, most likely funded from the public purse.

Please provide my comment, in context, suggesting I described him as such.

You clearly worship the ground he walks. I have merely said I don’t know much about this ‘celebrity’, that PC/social media attitudes strike again with him being sacked, but I don’t necessarily regard it as being that funny (though probably would have in the late 70’s/early 80’s on a satirical TV show) and that I reserve the right to consider him a bit of a prat.

Blimey. He bought it in the 80s with the income from doing The 6 o’clock show for Thames. Or maybe LWT.

It’s suddenly got a bit Daily Mail in here.

4 Likes

Perhaps the Brexit thread is less contentious :smiling_imp:

You suggested that ridiculing an innocent with no capacity to respond was bad, I responded that he was ridiculing the institution, you brought the mother in to it, to which I pointed out that we - the royal we there - the forum, have apparently moved positions. I was careful to use we not you there.

Worship him? No, but his radio shows have entertained me for a long while, his chat show was ok, his books have made interesting reading esp the one that deals with his cancer treatment, and his stage shows were very entertaining. Yh I like the bloke, he was a gent to chat to when I met him. Worship is a bit much tho.

What I don’t like is seeing the mob going nuts and bringing someone down for what was obviously a silly mistake that he tried to rectify as soon as.

3 Likes

Yes I brought the mother into it - as the mother of the child not due to her ethnic heritage. The Royal couple might even have found it amusing, tearing down the stereotypes, I have no idea just it’s not something I’d have personally posted in a tweet.

Perhaps it’s not coming across well, but I think my views are rather moderate here.

I just don’t get this. Casual racism is and always has been racism. Only popular media figures get to rewrite historical fact.

That aside we’re so obviously being played I’m embarrassed for him. Given that the royals are something he “doesn’t follow” he’s commented a fair bit in the media as I recall.

That’s the same Danny Baker who hosted the Diana memorial gig at Wembley is it not? The same Danny Baker who clams he was blocked from making a “too expressive” speech aimed at her sons.

To claim he didn’t know is magnificent.

2 Likes

If it quacks like a duck it’s a duck.

If you post a racist tweet you’re a racist, no matter what smart arse excuses you come up with.

2 Likes

Gosh. Do we have to start all over again?

It’s not casual racism if he posted a joke tweet about class and celebrtiy making a big thing out of a normal event, not realising that Mr & Mrs Windsor are a mixed marriage and that the baby is of African descent.

It would be an act of absolutle stupidty to decide that yesterday was the moment to out himself as a racist by posting something that even the most ardent Ukip member would realise will be bad news.

His comments in the media before today are limited to laughing at the institurion, not commenting on the family.

AFAIK he wrote the scripts for the memorial concert but didn’t front it. That’s his daytime job, script writer, which he would reserarch and shape to fit the moment. Btw you can’t seriously claim that he couldn’t be anti-monarchist yet still know about Diana…?

He does have a tale of how he was invited backstage by Princes William & Harry after that show but chose to locate his wife & then young family in Wmebley Stadium as he hadn’t seem them all day. He jokes that declining the kind offer probably cost him a knighthood.

It’s not racist if it’s not sent with the knowledge that the subject of the joke fits into a category that transforms a silly picture into something more serious.

4 Likes

Oh well, time to watch Mr Farage destroy the other panellists on QT…it shouldn’t be too hard for him given the parlous state of the other parties. So utterly sad that we’ve come to this…

1 Like

You Brits are always entertaining, that’s for sure. If it’s any consolation we have the same “age of outrage” and PC madness in New Zealand too.

Yeah, you will have to start all over again.

The above quote is a magnificent example of someone redefining racism without apparently the first idea what the law says. You are simply 100% incorrect.

Intention has nothing to do with racism. You may want to read the relevant legislation and a bit of caselaw before you comment further. If you don’t know how UK law works then you’re simply not in a position to comment with any credibility.

Little point in commenting on the rest of your post until you get to grips with the basics of what legally constitutes racism as opposed to what you think it ought to look like.

I saw the pic on TV news. I don’t see what was racist about it, though certainly tasteless and potentially offensive to some. What is racist about a monkey - I don’t think there was any likening of the ancestry on one side of the family, which is the only potential interpretation I can see as racist, rather it appeared to be ridiculing the monarchy. That is not racist - though I can see how ridiculing the monarchy may be seen by the BBC as unacceptable behaviour by an employee in the public eye.

The trouble is, it seems to be common these days to attempt to paste unintended meanings on all sorts of things, the gutter press in particular seemingly delighting in so doing.

2 Likes

Try this eh.