Dave came round

Inspired by your good self Simon I just had an early Sunday morning blast with ‘The Wall’ (original cd first pressing) and, for an album I know really really well, It sounds majestic.

I’ve listened to it over the years with a 72, 102, 202 & 252 in front of 250.2 & 300.

Regardless of all the ‘technical’ reasons why the H2/250DR shouldn’t sound optimal without a naim pre, I can honestly say ‘The Wall’ sounds as good as I’ve ever heard it.

I’m not saying it’s at DAVE 552 level but sound per pound I’ll go with my ears on this one and skip the 252/SC.

G

1 Like

reading some of the comments here.

The Dave and Hugo families of DACs do not have an analogue preamp in the chain. Confirmed this with RW

What they do have is an output stage, and the volume control is done digitally.

so there is no issue with having a Naim preamp follow the Chord Dac output stage.

There is no duplication of Preamps.

Also as S-i-S mentioned and @Richard.Dane many times, the Naim amplifier is really the combination of Naim preamp and Naim power amp.

1 Like

interesting IB - as there is no dedicated analogue preamp inside the Dave !

There is a volume control which is done digitally. That is something else altogether.

Please check this with Chord. Why would they recently have released their own pre-amplifier if the Dave has one…

1 Like

Somewhat patronising, especially when addressing someone who compared Dave as pre-amp to the 552 and then concluded that he prefers Dave…

1 Like

I am interested to understand in what way. Dave will happily drive any impedance right down to low ohms so any input impedance variation of NAPs is of no consequence, and it can be set to limit bandwidth at the top end.

Wow!!! Very interesting! It’s 6:00 am across the pond. I do my best texting in the strangest hours.

On the sidelines enjoying the forum at its best!

Now please don’t get the wrong idea!

DB said it the best! Paraphrasing: It’s something you must try for yourself. It’s easy to state your view and past judgement but how valid is your perception when you haven’t got your feet wet!

I’ve been guilty of that on more than one occasion! Ok, where am I going with this. Before one can experience something, they must be persuaded.

Engineers, educators, and some very bright pragmatic individuals has contributed to this post: These individuals, rather they know it or not, are shaping and molding the mindset of the forum. What amazes me, is the connectivity of the threads:

Victor Hugo

Placebo Alterations

Etc…

Point and case:

GraemeH

19d

Naim_The_Dragon:

And that on the day of the SN3… I thought the new Nait was the way to go for my beloved Hugo 2. I had been thinking about the Hugo straight into a 250DR, but didn’t explore further given the importance ascribed to the preamp…

Time to reconsider my position? How would you describe the difference between the two options?

Cheers!

In the ear of the beholder.

PS. BTW thanks for the new word GraemeH

Non sequitur

When it’s all said and done, it’s really about love!

And I Love The Forum, you guys have helped me in my recovery.

Thanks😪

1 Like

Wow, I earned my first link!

This new system is wild!

1 Like

I heard it at Audio show east through some ATC small floorstanders, thought it sounded decent enough.

I thought he used Dave?

Although Dave (never looked into TT output spec) is capable of working direct into speakers, to me it would require very efficient speakers, of over 100dB/W to not limit peaks.

As I said there will be some, and indeed your good self, who will prefer it. However Naim themselves will readily admit their poweramps are designed to sound their best for use with their NACs for the reasons I state and no doubt others.
I am aware of Naim once modifying a variant of the 250 for the BBC that was designed to work standalone from a NAC, and that was a special. I have no idea what was done and indeed whether it was just superficial like changing the input connectors perhaps… I think @Richard.Dane was aware of the details.
Simon

Stop it Analog, I’m trying to go to :sleeping: LOL​:slight_smile:

Nice work!

I used the term without meaning preamp in the strict sense, and more correctly should have said Dave’s volume controlled output stage.

1 Like

Which is a preamp… all these active output stages are preamps… the variability is the power loading and output impedance.

Simon, I am a bit confused.

Does the ND555 output stage also quality as a preamp - given that it has a digitally controlled volume control. (to comply with Airplay 2)

In that case is the 552 then redundant ? Why would Naim then still manufacture the Statement S1 preamp?

Technically yes… but I certainly would not recommend it for direct connection to a NAP… it might not sound too impressive,

Simon, I take it you’re referring to the NAP250Pro. It was a model that was specifically designed to address the needs of the BBC, or any similar studio. I can’t recall the exact details, but it involved special balanced input circuits and new inductance networks on the output, that way it could be connected up to the BBCs balanced feeds and could drive any speaker cable of indeterminate characteristics and length without distress. One could argue that for out and to sound performance these were compromises over the standard NAP250, but it made it an ideal high performance power amp for long term, trouble-free studio use.

Perfect Richard, thanks… indeed that is what I was referring to.

But there appears to be a duplication of preamp in the ND555 connected to a 552 preamp

Similar to a Chord Hugo or Dave connected to say a 282 preamp ?

No… any gain stage ahead of the output stage of a poweramp is a preamp… in achain there are many such stages or pre amp stages … they critically buffer the signal between stages for each function and conditioning the signal for the next stage… now whether you have all stages in one box or various will depend on circumstance…
Now I agree having multiple NACs such as a 552 would be redundant… you only need one of those.

@Simon-in-Suffolk are you using ‘DR’ NAPs…If not then might this be accounting for why some of us find Chord DACs direct great, and others not so much?

Not asking from a position of technical know-how here. Merely speculating.

G