Dave came round

Dave’s not here.

1 Like

Thanks Bart!
You pointed me in the right direction. Streaming Audio. Simon was very helpful along with some others! I think understand how this streaming works! But here’s the deal! All I want to do now, is stream locally!

Endless playlist

A library that can sing to 5 days non-stop

Constructed by ripping CDs and purchasing inferior quality songs via. Itunes

You gave me the plug Net gear!

Come to find out, I have three switches already!

Airport Extreme~Router with three switches

A. MM
B. FR (family room)
C. RR (rec …)

All I need is an inexpensive (CD/SACD/DAC/ Up-scaler) Arcam CDS50! For the FR!

Hardwire RR and FR with Cat 6!

I’m done:

MM>Airport Extreme>CDS50>Audioquest XLR>Primare Pre 30>Audioquest XLR> Arcam P1 Mono Blocks> Vienna Acoustic Baby Grands.

Then I can utilize my SACDs!

Only one problem, is the Arcam CDS50 up to the task?

Ok, getting long winded, but its 3:00 am in da morning across the pond!

Once Again Thanks Bart!

Guys, this is a Hi-Fi thread… which is why the focus of DAVE, TT2 etc… the streaming stuff is over in the other channel.

1 Like

I think it’s usually the battery, and it is relatively straightforward to replace and they are good as new again.

You have a fine setup. I owned CDX2+Naim DAC+555PS. 282+NAPSC+SC, but wanted simpler: DAVE (one box to rule them all), no transformer buzz or radio interference and cash back. Then I heard Blu2 and sound quality I’d sought all these years: best digital sound I’ve heard at home. But it’s opinion, you have a great setup too and if you don’t have problems I had or desire for simplicity then enjoy that Naim sound. 2 boxes replacing 6 plus computer audio is ideal for me: I believe I get additional clarity and hear more and no puck to lose. I kept my Naim fraim, of course. Have a listen if you can, be interesting to hear what you think.

2 Likes

My apologies Simon, streaming audio is the place for that! Just got a little excited with all the new found information!

Once again thanks for clearing things up!

Back on the sidelines.

Please comment on SQ once you’re done with your home demo of Dave!

PS. Compared to your 552 system.

1 Like

Blu2 DAVE is a wonderful CD player that can also front end computer audio. You don’t need any form of computer network to enjoy its superb sound. I often use it to play CDs although I do use it with Mac mini as well. I don’t consider it a streaming system, but it could be viewed that way,

One of my delights with Blu2 DAVE is no pre-amp required so less boxes and cost than some alternatives. It would not suit everybody, but it works very well for me.

Even though downstairs I have a streaming capable Linn system, I use it primarily for vinyl playback.

I’m moving away from network streaming for TV cricket coverage too as Broadband where I live is more than disappointing - absolute rubbish service to be honest from OpenReach. We are outside current plans for an upgrade according to our MP.

So I would say Hugo 1 & 2, Hugo TT and DAVE are not solely for streamers, but they are great for all music lovers.

3 Likes

I found the optimal sound(to me) for CD-level red book files was to scale to 88.2 to 176.4 and to use the optical link between the HMS and H2 (Rob Watts advocates using the optical link). Beyond that level of scaling the H2 didn’t sound any better. This may have been due to the chord-supplied digital cables. I note a lot of people upgrade these.

The TT2 has a broader sound range, and to me sounds more effortless and relaxed than the H2 (which in turn is a surprisingly big step up from the on-board DAC in the ND5 XS2).

I am aware a lot of people prefer the HMS/TT2 combo over the DAVE, but neither option was within my budget. I could have gone the NDX2 route, but that would have inevitably led to a £££555PSU - each to their own preference and no doubt the NDX2 is an excellent streamer/DAC. The NAIM Control APP, the streamer front-end, the multi-room, and the different connectivity options for the ND5XS2 and NDX2 make them both a great digital hub and source.

Adding Entreq Primer Pro and TQ Ultra Black interconnects into my system has also helped the SQ considerably. I use the Melco LAN-in and Player-out Ethernet to the ND5XS2 for TiDAL and Radio Paradise, with music library outputs straight from the Melco N1ZH/2 over USB into the TT2.

2 Likes

I’m still very much enjoying the H2 as DAC & PRE direct into 250DR. Digital out is from 272. All Chord Clearway cabling.

Sounds very insightful, balanced and, ultimately, musical.

G

2 Likes

I am one of those. However, Blu2 DAVE is better still IMHO.
I heard NDX2 and ND555 and neither grabbed me the way DAVE did when I first heard it. I like Naim kit a lot, but having discovered Chord DACs there is no turning back for me. Of course, others may listen and have different views.

I agree that no preamp is required. I use Canare cables made up by Mark Grant. Very happy with them though I’ve never tried the purpose made Wave cables. Be interested to hear from anybody who has.

2 Likes

This is one hell of a DAC… negative phase, Hf filter off, variable output into the 552DR it just is phenomenal … listening to one of my favourite reference albums, The Wall… this is one superbly recorded and produced album, the definition in the drum kit, the tune of the bass drum, the rhythmic pushing and exquisite timing of Mason’s drumming, the style of the guitars and pickups, all laid bare. and the tight percussive snap of the high hats and snares… no smeared ‘tsch’ type sound.
The helicopter sound which sounded like a real helicopter before is now so clearly a recording with its constrained dynamics… compared to the other instrumentation… and all regular 44.1/16/2

One observation, it does run rather warm to the touch…

5 Likes

I think the Chord DAC’s do something really special with standard red book files. I have some 88, 96 and 192 music, but I think I prefer what my TT2 does with red book more. Maybe because the file has not been altered in any way when the TT2 gets it.

Yes it’s always running quite warm but seems to be ok mine is more than 2 years old now.

While you are at it, try Roon upsampling to DSD, I think Chord Dacs is special with DSD feed in…

Mine occasionally does something odd when left on (on standby), distorting and metallic sounding without bass. Rebooting clears it (sometimes needing a couple of goes).

Anyone with a Dave experience that, or does it sound as if mine might have a fault? It’s done it since I first had it.

In the few days I have borrowed mine, it’s certainly not done anything like that… it does sound like you have a fault. That sort of thing would not be acceptable as BAU.

Mine never did that nor 4 others that belong to my friends

Sounds like the Hugo issue may have been a blessing in disguise… perhaps not for the wallet though :grinning:

Possibly… my Hugo is to be repaired… but there is no denying what the DAVE does on top… the Hugo has that wonderful Mandelbrot type effect, and that is the same with DAVE. what DAVE brings is additional resolution in the lower frequencies, even less smearing across the frequencies … just listen to hi hats, snares the tunefulness of the bass drum…and there is a layer of added texture, such that voices and stringed instruments can be even more sumptuous … it’s as if the chroma gain has been slightly notched up. There is also increased spatial presentation such that sounds not only leave the speakers and fill out the room, which is not uncommon in high end, but can convincingly leave the room if recorded that way… and that can be eerie.
it does show how incredible the original Hugo is, but DAVE clearly builds on Hugo’s strengths…
question is will this be optional or a mandatory requirement…

3 Likes

Find out next week in another gripping episode…:joy:

G

PS I have my fingers in my ears going ‘La, la, la ,la…’

1 Like