Dave came round

The ‘damn good thrashing’ wasn’t in Fawlty Towers but in the film Clockwise where Cleese plays a headmaster maned Brian Stimpson so ‘Chris’ is actually Brian not Basil.

Svetty, I have just checked YouTube and it definitely was Fawlty Towers.

So Chris is Basil, not Brian.

1 Like

A quick Google suggests that both characters performed essentially the same act in each respective show, with the colour of the Austin 1100 being different…

1 Like

Anyway, we are supposed to be talking about Dave, not Chris, Basil or Brian.

would love to hear those yg speakers in the flesh

Correct, I have spent quite a bit of time with Dave now, with and without the 282. My feelings are the same - with the 282, the sound is different, smoother, and I imagine some may prefer that. With Dave direct into my 250DR, it sounds a little clearer, as if the window onto the recording is open wider. Separation of instruments and voices is clearer, making music a little easier to follow, with a better stereo image. Bass is more extended (probably treble, too, but I think I’ve spent a bit too long in very noisy industrial workplaces to be the judge of that.)
If I had stuck with my Hugo, I would never have considered losing the preamp, although I did try it briefly out if curiosity. I also doubt that I would be ditching my preamp if it was a 552, but it’s not. Still, it feels a little odd to be parting with my trusty 282, and until recently, I would never have envisaged doing so, but for me, I think it’s now the right decision.

Yours,

Basil

3 Likes

Interesting.

All you need now is a 552 to see if it really is possible to dispense with a NAC.:wink:

Enjoy the music.

Or John

Of course, we all know Dave’s real name is Rodney. I keep calling him Dave because my broom has had 3 heads and 4 handles.

Sorry…

1 Like

Steady on, Trigger, we’ve moved on from the LP12 on this thread.

Oh my, that’s interesting.

make some Yoga Mike, you will not think on the future possible upgrade called Dave. or Bartok, or Rossini, or Klimax kdsm…all having fine volume control inside. :upside_down_face::new_moon_with_face:

1 Like

It almost begs the question as to whether a NDX2 into a 250DR is a better option than a SN2 since it has a variable out volume control through the app?

there was a thread on that and most responded : no. much better with a preamp. But for the Dave it seems different.

2 Likes

The output stage may make a significant difference, that of Dave designed to be able to feed anything, even speakers direct, but that of NDX2 presumably designed to feed only to a preamp. Likewise the implementation of the volume control, that of the NDX2 through the app, said to have been purely for compliance with some other party’s (Apple’s?) app requirement, maybe sub-optimal.

Spot on…
Further Naim amps are designed in two parts, the controller, input buffer and impedance optimiser stage (NAC) and the power amp stage… (NAP). Clearly you can use third party NACs, but one needs to understand one is changing the intended performance of the Naim power amp.
The heart of a Naim system is its NAC which is why many seasoned Naimites suggest getting the best NAC you can afford. It drives the performance of the other components with it.
I wish Chris well with his Chord Electronics DAVE based system, to which he is connecting his Naim NAP to… it’s all about what works best for you.

2 Likes

however i would not be surprised if Chrissu would prefer 252/dave or 552/dave vs bare Dave. I have often read in reviews like stereophile that a very good preamp is still the best sound solution vs volume control of a dac.

1 Like

DAVE has an integrated pre-amp. I’ve heard a 552, Linn Klimax (my own, now sold) and Chord pre between DAVE and power amps NAP 500 (dealer’s), Linn KCT (mine). I preferred no additional pre … of course another listener may prefer a different combo. I could not know which @ChrisSU would prefer as he’s only posted about 282. You know my view - ignore Stereophile’s subjective commentary - you have to listen for yourself to find a combo that suits you. I know it’s not easy, but it’s the only way.

@ChrisSU - please could you post what ICs and power cords are you using with DAVE? Sorry if you have already answered this.

2 Likes

I’m not surprised with the outcome although I wished the 282 would stay. It looks like the built-in digital preamp of the DAVE is high quality, negating the need of a quality preamp. Or perhaps the 282 isn’t up to the mark and the outcome would be different if it’s a 252 or 552 as some have suggested. The DAVE reminded me of the Benchmark DAC1 (a cheaper version of the DAVE) which also comes with a digital preamp. I used to have the Benchmark DAC1 in my radar many years ago but didn’t manage to try one.

The DAVE costs £8,499 and the NAC 282 plus NAPSC costs £4,778. Not a surprise that the DAVE performs admirably well as a preamp looking at the price. It’s truly a high quality reference DAC preamp. I use a Chord QBD76 DAC with my 282 and the sound quality is sublime. I can just imagine what the DAVE is doing in your system since it has managed to dislodge the 282.

2 Likes

Did you decided to drive the 250dr directly??? I listened to a Dave driving a NAP300dr that was disappointing it lost the drive and sounded un-interesting but that setup was driving Concept 500 speakers not known for speed