Dave came round

Not strictly true, if the output and input between two stages is not optimised to work together may be more distortion and/or phase distortion (smearing) when connecting the two devices together directly, rather than going via a suitable buffering stage like a preamp.

Good call Nigel…

Although i’m wondering if anyone will chime in how DAVE and the TT2 compare when driving headphones…

Nigel it’s ok… still listening to the DAVE, will report back in due course

3 Likes

Not all that much thread drift, as we were talking about implementation of Dave.

Did you go back and re-read the post of mine you incorrectly onterpreted.?

1 Like

This is true, no thanks to you! LOL☺

HM

If you connect these DACS to a dedicated preamp you are in effect connecting one preamp to another preamp . Of course, you may like the colour that the second preamp might bring to the party:

Nigel

If I am not mistaken, SIS is indeed connecting his DAVE (and its pre amp) to his 552, and why wouldn’t he as Naim design their pre and power amps to work together.

Only a comparative demo can untangle this one but many have bypassed a Naim pre amp with mostly unsatisfactory results.

It is a nice idea to dispense with the £20k 552, but there is a reason it is £20k!

"July 5, 2017 by Paul McGowan

Pity the preamp. It sits alone neither a source nor an output. Its status is elevated beyond a power amplifier because we interact with it. Its very existence comes into question when others are available to do the same job.

Yet, a great preamp is essential. Its contribution to overall sound quality cannot be ignored. And woe to those who haven’t tasted its fruits. There isn’t a system I know of that wouldn’t benefit from a BHK Signature—or any of a small handful of quality preamps.

There are those that will tell you the preamp’s the heart of the system, yet we all know great systems live without benefit of one.

It’s a lonely job being a component that’s not needed. Yet, there is hope. Once installed and the sweet nectar of its fruits tasted, preamps cannot be lived without.

Preamp’s have to prove their worth to be accepted but stand back and smile once they do.

Speakers don’t worry about acceptance. They’re as essential as air is to breathing.

So are preamps. They just have an inferiority complex."

Perhaps you can start a new thread!

Remember, I have no hands on experience!

Plus I just read some stuff about active preamps vs passive preamps that deflated my ego!

PS. Purpose of Preamp, Straight line Preamp, and focus on transparency, no added colouring of the intended signal!

When I read that stuff, I only understand 70% of it at most!

Ok, you have your task! Lol😁

Or SIS can elaborate on this similar topic about the preamp!

I effectively changed from NAP200 to Chord Etude. I sold NAP because I got a good offer and had intended my upstairs Chord system for headphone only listening. After the sale, I reconsidered and decided a power amp and speakers were better for me. I didn’t go back to Naim because I’ve been unlucky with transformer buzz. So I tried an Etude and without hesitation decided I didn’t want it to go back.

I could trial the WAVE cables, but was being a bit lazy and as there were quite a few Chord admirers hereon. I thought somebody may have tried them.

1 Like

I can compare Hugo with DAVE with cans (Audeze LCD3s) and find DAVE more refined than Hugo (it sounds more natural to me and I can pick out the words more easily), but this is all highly subjective and only my opinion. I’ve heard TT2 at a show, but didn’t like the sound which I put down to the use of HiFi-Man headphones.

Blu2 DAVE through LCD3s is best sound I’ve ever achieved through headphone. Though I’m far from experienced in this area. My headphone listening is mainly for when I travel (quite rare these days thankfully) so Hugo comes in to its own.

1 Like

I have the Chord Étude power amp on demo with my HMS and TT2. I am asking myself if this is the best I have ever heard recorded music. Previously I have tried various combinations of Chord [Hugo/HMS/TT2] and Naim [555/552/250]. I am only in the early days of testing with the Étude but once I have more time in I’ll report back.

1 Like

The fan is very quiet on the Étude, only noticeable from within a foot or so. Into a pair of Fact 8 with one Etude there is enough volume to blow my mind away. But I am wondering what two might sound like.

2 Likes

Yeh, we all can relate to that! For some reason, I like to stay with the same manufacturer, and trust what they do throughout my system! I would imagine Chord’s $30K Pre-Amp is an excellent partner with Blu M-scaler just as Naim’s S1 partners with HP Statement Amps!

For the most part I just buy from reputable manufacturers, and live with the sound! I really never buy into these exotic cables etc…

But DB nailed it, it’s something you have to try for yourself. Ok, to the point, that dreaded HUM!

Purchased a corian shelf and inserted it beneath my HCDR within my Fraimlite rack, and noticed a 60% reduction in hum.

Then a couple of weeks later, I purchased two more FRAIMLITE shelves, one up top my 282, which towered over both stacks, and the other over the bronze rack. No joke, the HUM is barely noticable, I would have to say a 90% reduction, if not more! Not a Placebo effect! No Naim pills, just Cdx2>282>HCDR>3 x 250s, and I have to listen hard to see if the unit is on!

What that tells me, maybe the geometry of IC and SC can play a noticable difference in SQ!

That’s what I did during the demo. I felt the Chord pre was transparent as I could hear no difference with it between DAVE and amplifier. Introducing NAC 552 appeared to colour the sound and I could hear a difference. I believe there is a Naim sound as advocated by Naim on its web site (it’s a great sound too). My preference though in that demo was DAVE straight into power amp.

I agree somebody else might have really liked what the 552 did. I simply thought I like A & B more than C and then was told the makeup of A, B and C (which I think is an episode of The Prisoner). My take would be before buying a pre to slot between DAVE and whatever power amplifier you use, try Blu2 DAVE onto that same power amplifier. I would definitely opt for Blu2 (in fact I did).

The Chord pre is a wonderful beast with the best tone controls I have ever come across (not used for the demo, of course), but it was £30k+ of kit, I don’t need. My conclusion is that if neither of these superb preamps from Naim or Chord enhanced my enjoyment of music then I could save a bit of money (in fact I have), Chord has brought out a phono stage and pre to match DAVE, but I’ll give both a miss.

Reading about how DAVE doesn’t need a pre (and in fact is better without a pre), and then reading Chord has brought out a pre to match DAVE, I admit to being really confused, unless the DAVE pre is simply a source switch.

Have I misunderstood?

2 Likes

To be honest and it’s only my opinion unless you need its superb tone controls or have some analogue things to put through it, I think you don’t really need it. I couldn’t tell it was in line and $30k is a lot of money,

At least with the Naim pre there was a difference, so if you liked what it added then then I could see good reason for buying it.

Naim is great company and makes great kit, but my cottage mains supply is not right for some Naim power supplies. When I tried a SuperLine I got great reception: an unwanted radio station. So I phoned my dealer and exclaimed “help”. He did and I ended up with a much simpler system, which has evolved in to Linn for vinyl downstairs and Chord for CDs upstairs. I still keep my Naim fraims, of course.

And I think I’ve stopped as far as upgrades or changes go.

I think your Naim system looks great by the way,

2 Likes

I read a post where he says he uses TT2 with m-scaler direct to his speakers.

@NigelB, I’m guessing the Chord Choral Pre is to go with the Choral phono stage for vinyl lovers, I can’t see why I’d ever need it. They must anticipate a demand. You could feed DAVE through as well without it having any effect on the sound. It would purely facilitate switching and add a second volume control - I’m not aware it has tone controls like its big cousin.

I wonder why he uses a TT2 at home when he uses Dave travelling (unless that has changed). As for driving speakers, he clearly must prefer not to play ar “realistic” levels!

I just inserted my TT2 on my Fraim, so I took a few photos. Starting at the top of the Fraim is NDS, next is Teac PD 501 CD/DSD player, TT2 ,Naim Core, XPSDR.
You can also see my XD 600’s, excite 12’s, which are being driven by the TT2 direct to the Anthem amp. Listening to just Scala radio right now, sounds terrific, but eventually I will try the Cinema 12 as Pre in the chain.

2 Likes

i presume the chord pre is to be used with more than 1 digital source. A turntable needs a pre.
The 30k chord pre is normally also better sounding than the Dave pre. It’s just a higher level of pre vs the Dave i guess.

we have the same fraimlite. Nice system No Quarter ! Can you just make a photo in more light, or sun?