DBL PAXO Service

I gave you the abbreviated version of Jason‘s conversation. He mentioned that the service department had only ever had one set of ‘cooked’ DBL x-overs to his recollection and that was because the customer had been using them at extreme volume levels for a Very long time. He said, if your speakers sounded good and nicely balanced then it’s unlikely there’s anything wrong with the x-overs.

I’d also say that the quality of the components look pretty good to me. They certainly look better than my Isobarik x-overs, which I still have.

You may get a greater sonic benefit by playing around with how the x-over is mounted to the back of the DBL’s. There’s lots of tips on how this should be.

I had my NBL crossovers serviced last year. I imagine that was just before @Steve had his done because I was told Naim Audio had never serviced a pair before. I wanted to get them serviced as they’d not been done since new and the system was going to be dismantled for some time while other changes happened in the house. It’s difficult to say if it made a difference because I had a few other changes at the same time (dedicated mains, second PS on ND555 and additional Fraim shelf and arrangement on shelves). It certainly went through a short period of settling in, but I cannot say if that could be attributed in any way to the crossovers or if it was just my ears getting used to the change in presentation. It does sound rather good now though.

2 Likes

Thanks for the insight Geko

Very interrresting topic; Thanks Mario for bringing it up!
Final word seems not spoken yet, though.
I have my DBL PAXOs currently stored away but definitely would consider a service, if it were possible from naims side.

I’m sure, if pushed, someone would be prepared to change the caps in your DBL crossovers, but it’ll be a waste of time. They’re not subject to the same voltages and currents as those in a power amp, and are likely to last longer than a very long time!

1 Like

Not sure i follow there Tony, I’d imagine huge currents in big speaker like the DBL that have to pass through the crossovers? Or is my logic wrong!

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.