DBL room advice

Ah okay, interesting. Tbh old naim speakers here in Malaysia is kinda hard to find. People just keep them and they don’t sell them.

You rang? :blush:

The first pair of DBLs I heard properly, i.e. not at a hi-fi show, was at a certain well known ex-forum member’s pad, in a pretty small room. Once I’d peeled myself off the back wall (he likes to play them rather loudly) I begain to marvel at how wonderful they sounded is such a relatively cosy space. The gentleman I bought my pair of DBLs from (he had bought another pair in a different finish) had them in an even smaller room.

Someone mentioned DBLs sound like Kans, but a better comparison is SBLs but with enormous bass capabilities. I think the fact they’re sealed boxes and designed for use against a wall helps them to work in small rooms.

Regarding floors, my pair have responded very well indeed to various isolating options betwixt them and the wood floor (which, in my case, rests on compressed mud and flint). The previous owner of my speakers used the old Mana Acoustics Sound Bases, and when I was picking the DBLs up I took the trouble to photograph and measure them. I’ve since made up a pair, and they really do work well. Once I’d got the bloody things up onto them… I did also find that using Fraim Chips “Upside down” (a Darke Bear trick) improved the sound also.

10 Likes

Thanks Tony.
Re isolation, pity Mana is not found anymore (or hardly). Of the other isolation products you refer to, which ones did you try and prefer?

Stefano

Thank you M’lud :grin:

2 Likes

They really are beasts! They look great Tony.

1 Like

Hello sbilotta,
DBLs doesn’t need big rooms.
Either some experiments with the space between them and distance froom the walls behind and on sides, especially on sides.
Your room seems to have same dimensions as mine.
It would be regrettable to sell such a great speaker.
Have a nice day
Daniel

Yes Daniel, I perfectly understand.
I’ve put a lot of TLC into my speakers and don’t want to sell them, but just concerned that I am not doing them justice :slight_smile:
Bit worried about bass performance, also because in Italy my room is treated with DAADs in the corners while in London I don’t think that I’ll have much room for low frequency acoustic treatment.
I’ll also be DRing my 500 once all the kit is in London.

Thanks for your feedback!
Stefano

Remember that your speakers are only there to present enjoyable music. You don’t need to ‘do them justice’. Just wait, try them out, and keep them if they work in your new home.

Hello sbilotta,
An good sign the DBL are correctly installed and positioned in the room : they don’t need loud listening to give a plenty of PRAT, groove and allow to follow the intensity of the songs.
With the DBL it is also possible to listening quite confidentialy. It’s a very versatile speaker!
Br

1 Like

I have not heard a pair of DBLs for many a decade but this thread makes be yearn to try a pair at home although I doubt my wife would approve!

Richard

1 Like

Hello Richard,
You’re right, in some aeras, DBL is a no compromise speaker…
Daniel

It would be very odd for a speaker to do really deep bass when there isn’t a really deep bass note! But many speakers, if they manage any audible output at all, reproduce deep bass at a lower sound level relative to higher frequencies, curtailing the sound.

1 Like

Considering the room, I don’t know what effect the non square end will have. It might be beneficial to have the speakers firing the length of the room, also with the listening seat away from the wall (permanently, or pulled out for serious listening) - and positioning options are limited a bit by the doors, But which end for which would sound better I can’t predict, nor how it would sound compared to the way drawn.

If it was me, with speakers I love, I would take them but be open minded as to layout and prepared to experiment and only give up on them if I really can’t sort it: speakers have so much effect on the sound that finding something new that is as enjoyable may take an awful lot more time than playing around with the room. The REW measurement computer program and a measuring microphone may help with practical assessment in the room.

1 Like

I tried some speakers once, which seemed to achieve this feat. I remember posting on here that they seemed to add bass when none existed. They were absolute bass monsters.

Thanks IB.
Unfortunately, any other speaker position would simply be unpractical and probably not best for sound quality as the DBLs wouldn’t have a wall behind them (either because of the door or the window /glass recess).
Also the Fraim racks can’t be moved as I have already put two dedicated MK Logic Plus plugs on the left of the door entrance.
I agree however that I will bring them over (pandemic allowing…) and see how they work out, keeping an open mind should they not.

Best
Stefano

Hello,
DBL are very well balanced and ajusted speakers with perfect treble and bass integration.
For a dosmetical use, there is far enough bass.
It shoudn’t be any problem to place them in the room.
One of the best speaker I ever heard and still actuel.
The only real negative point is their « format » not especially room friendly…
But that’s an other question!
Br

Well, actually Jacques, they may have some WAF issues but the fact that you can place them right in front of a wall and not need to place them a fair distance within the room, makes them more room friendly for me.
In my scenario, I have considered some back ported speakers but their placement could prove problematic.

2 Likes

Hi Stefano
Maybe you can comment on my dbl refurbishing thread. I recall you posted in the old forum on replacing the foaming in the bass cabinet of your dbls. I’d need to know where I can get the foaming from. :smiley::pray:

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.