DBpoweramp CD Ripper settings

I can definitely say that its worthwhile being able to do something else at the same time. My 1000 CDs took 2 or 3 weeks to do (from memory, it was a few years ago). Each CD took around 3 to 7 minutes (maybe a bit more) - so it does drive you a bit crazy! So being able to watch tv, listen to music or read at the same time is necessary

Note once you have copied them all, you can do a batch conversion/copy of the whole library to Mp3 (at whatever resolution) - which is quite useful if you want to also have on your phone or other portable without taking up to much memory. Wait until you’ve done all your CDs to Flac, and then do the conversion “overnight” - and it’ll be ready for you in the morning.

1 Like

Only if your CDs are dirty! I’ve ripped hundreds and have never washed one in my life. I guess I don’t throw them around and they are kept in their case when not in use.

In fairness the 4 I did this afternoon were 75% good. 1 however just error, error, error and it didn’t look any different to the other 3🤷🏻‍♂️
Cleaning didn’t help, but then there wasn’t even a fingerprint on it. Lots of fine scratches though, which is probably the problem.
It’s one of Mrs Q’s and lived in her car for years I think. Might be beyond use…

If you’re brave you can use a light abrasive to remove scratches.

I found normal domestic glass cleaner spray effective for several CDs.

1 Like

Here’s what we used:

1. Warm water and kitchen roll, dried with micro fibre cloth - fingerprints, smears
  2. Mr Muscle glass cleaner - more stubborn marks, light scratches
  3. Baking soda toothpaste - the 10 CD we had covered in scratches

Selection 1 enabled 90% with errors to be ripped, Glass cleaner fixed the other 10% and abrasive treatment was only required on 10 or so CD which were quite badly damaged.

The ones which required surface abrasion didn’t work on our USB CD drive even after polishing but worked in another DVD drive.

2 Likes

Now and then, despite my best cleaning efforts, I just cannot get dBpoweramp to do an accurate rip and fall back on the following nugget that I found on a forum many moons ago:
Q. No matter how much I tweaked the ripping and encoding settings, I couldn’t get a proper lossless copy.
A. You might try using iTunes to rip to AIFF with error correction turned on, then convert from AIFF.

Health warning: high risk of the green eyed monster making you desperately wish that you could use that Apple database as a Meta-Source.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.