dCS Bartok as a one box solution

I was lucky and got a free remote control with my rossini, but as said its an option.
But you dont really need one, as you can control it all on the dcs app, from your phone or tablet.
From volume and all the different settings, etc

Yes the volume can be controlled from within ROON

Thanks
I have essentially the same function of the Bartok in my ND-555, HiCap and Headline 2.
The problem is l can’t remotely control the volume on the Headline.
Headphones are more important to me than speakers. I have NAC 252, 300 DR and Harbeth 30.2’s but when I do serious listening I listen with headphones. If I’m just listening to background music I use the amazing Gen 2 Mu-Mo.

I’m also using Roon more and more and I can’t control the volume on the 300 DR through Roon.

Finally, the HiCap plus Headline 2 is quite good but I have to think the Bartok could be better.

I would seem insane to veer off from my carefully assembled Naim kit but I would if I could demo a Bartok and found it better. Unfortunately, there are no dealers near Phoenix. I may ask a friend who is a Naim 500 owner to do it once things open up.

Leatherneck
If you look back in this thread you will see some feedback and comparisons I made on the Bartok’s performance vs. my Linn Klimax DS - everything judged exclusively using headphones. Hope it helps.

The Bartok combined with a quality external headphone amplifier is a giant killer imho. It nipped right on the heels of a $25k Linn. That was enough to tempt me into trying the Rossini. My anticipation is that it “should” thoroughly see off the Linn.

Best
Gregg

I think you can with your set up @leatherneck. I have my headphone amp (Heed Canalot) connected to the RCA output of a NDX2, and my SN connected via the Din. When I use headphones, I switch the NDX2 output to RCA through the app, turn of system automation, and set volume to variable. Then you can control the volume with the NDX2 remote or the app, and you have the source direct to the headphone amp. Easy peasy and sounds superb.

I know I could do that but I had a bad experience once going variable out into variable in. If you are not careful you can damage speakers. I also didn’t want to have to turn system automation off and on…
I bought a headphone amp with remote volume control. It’s the Violectric V281 out of Germany. It easily beats my HiCap/Headline. Check the rave review on Innerfidelity.

1 Like

+1 for the V281, much better than my Headline was.

I never went for the Headline in the end and Vioelectric isn’t common in New Zealand. I went with the Heed Canalot and Q PS, but getting the Oblesik PS shortly - this is reviewed to be on par with the Vioelectric with my HD800s and is really very good.

A beast…incredible details and space, I‘m shocked…

7 Likes

Congratulations - it is quite an impressive source component.

I originally bought my Bartok to use in a headphone only system in the bedroom. I was so impressed with its performance that after one month I gave it back to the dealer and swapped it for a Rossini+Master Clock.

The Rossini has now kicked my Linn Klimax DS out of the 552/500 system and relegated it to bedroom headphone duties.

dCS is firing on all cylinders these past several years with new product and software updates.

Best
Gregg

1 Like

How does it compare to the ND555 in your system?

M

Have the dcs in for a test, well,… right now it‘s the best source I‘ve heard. Running upnp mode, roon endpoint mode, usb stick…details and resolution without ends, a bass precision that‘s really incredible (Cope‘s fanfare for the common man…never heard bass layers and deep tunes so levelled) my fav. music is baroque music, and here the sun shines with details and harmoy without killing the rhythm and inner connection in music. Voices are leaving the speakers, they just jump out in my room…and the dcs is only a few hours in! Tested Bill Callahan, Steely Dan, Bartoli, Aldous Harding, Massive Attack, Andreas Scholz, Bill Evans so far…right now Alexandre Tharaud Couperin…I‘m curious how things go on in the next days…

4 Likes

Bartock is great and for the price its hard to beat, plus its easy to live with, just plug it in and off you go.
The rossini and clock, just builds on the great sound and like you, I also found it the best source I have ever heard, and I have heard quite a few from various top brands.

1 Like

What brings the clock Dunc? Is this a must have?

So you will move the ND555 on ? Or was it also on home demo. ?

Adding a clock brings an even more natural and reel sound to it all, its quite hard to explain, as it sounds great without it but adding it, everything just sounds better.
You know when its not switched on, as I myself have forgotten to turn the clock off standby a few times, and while listening to tracks, had that feeling its not sounding quite right, and then noticed the clock wasn’t on.
The real question is, if you are going for a bartock and clock, you would be better to buy a Rossini, as this is better than the pair, then add a clock later.
But as you are finding the DCS range off dac’s are superb and hard to beat and I can see the ND555 being traded in.

1 Like

The ND555 is my device, I tested dcs because my dealer told me great things about it:-)

Thanks Dunc- just cecked the Rossini DAC costs roughly 20k… has it roon endpoint or do you neet the Rossini player as well?

It has roon end point

I have the player, only because it was available at a great price and cheaper than the dac only.
The player is the same as the dac but with the CD transport, all be it in a slightly higher box.
The only thing with the built in player over the standalone CD transport is that the player can’t play sacd, i dont have any, so not a problem.
But the CD player is very good and certainly worth the extra over the dac, if you still want the option of cd play back