dCS Network Bridge SQ? See end of thread for conclusion

I agree the Katalyst-capable KDSM is a better investment than the KDS it superseded.

a kds upgrade to katalyst is like a new klimax ds3, but without the preamp? all parts are changed, so itā€™s finally a completely new item for half the price ?
i donā€™t need a pre, so it may be the best solution for me.

What is adsm with katalyst dac? which is the difference vs ds3 katalyst ?

As I understand it, the Katalyst DAC in the ADSM is a very different architecture from the Katalyst DAC in the DS/3. An Akurate DSM upgrade to Katalyst is also very much cheaper (at around half the price) than a Katalyst upgrade to a Klimax DSM or DS.

1 Like

I already have dumped my Naim Preamp Mr U, I traded my 272 in on the NDS. Like I mentioned earlier, I had two complete systems in my old house, so my home theatre that I had in the basement used a Cary Audio Cinema 12 Pre/Processor. Currently I use it as a 2 channel Pre, and I actually prefer it to the 272. Cary are known for tube based preamps, built in US, and quite good to my ears. If I end up not liking the Mscaler/TT2 as a Pre, I can go back to using the Cary and use the combo as a DAC, and I also wanted the pair for headphones tooā€¦since I live in an apartment building now. I have pretty much thought of every scenario, and I could also move up the Naim Preamp ladder if I feel the need later. Right now I use the Cary with my home theatre amp (Anthem) to drive my Sopraā€™s, and like the results while I wait.

you said Ā« new Adsm with katalyst dac will be very close Ā« ? very close to the ds3 klimax ? have you compared both ? thanks Tiberio

Hi NQ,

So you are using a pre-amp, just not Naim?

Like you I use an AV pre-amp (part of my Oppo 105D) & a ā€˜properā€™ one for music, my EAR868pl.

even if you want to keep your existing preamp ?

Yes, but I have home demoed the Hugo 2 and Dave for several weeks, and used both as a Preamp/DAc directly driving my Anthem amp. I like the results a lot, and I truly believe driving a Naim amp directly with Chord Dacā€™s Is NOT a good ideaā€¦based on impressions I have read on this forum. But, driving non Naim amps is very good, from my own experience, and what I read online. My plan though, is driving my Sopra 1ā€™s directly off the TT2ā€¦which gives the ultimate transparency, based on what I have read on head-fi. When I have the funds, I plan on seeking out a demo before buying, and who knows, I may end up just going with a 555 DR for my NDS.

Hi NQ, re naim amp direct from Chord dac, Iā€™m doing just that (HMS/DAVE to 300DR) and the result is very good (to my ears) so worth checking.

Gives you more flexibility e.g if you want to connect a TV because of all the extra inputs.

Interesting, when I demoed the H2 and Dave I still had my 250 DR, but did not have the cable I needed to connect to the Naim amp. Are you sticking with your current setup?

Hi NQ,

Yes, I have used Naim power amps with a range of non-Naim pre-amps too.

Be very interested in your thoughts on TT2 > Sopra 1s; is there enough grunt, I thought it put out about 18W?

I guess you need a set of good cables to test the set-up otherwise you wonā€™t hear at its best, have some Atlas Mavros rca to xlr. Iā€™m definitely sticking to this set-up. Have another system that is NDS based and have replaced the pre with an Allegri+ (into 250DR).

I am considering going back to the old CDX2 + XPS2. Or audio cassettes.

What is the advantage of going higher than redbook? It already gives you a lower noise floor than available naturally. Analog electronics limits dynamic range to 20bits. As for sample-rate I dont hear 20kHz tones. If the bats want to listen to recordings of themselves whistling they can go buy their own supertweeter,

Higher bitrates stress the equipment, dont give it enough time to be accurate.

With the redbook things were tied down and couldnt move. So at least some of the effort was spent improving reproduction of music, not just sounds. And companies like Naim, Linn, Exposure, Rega did some really good work.

NQ why is driving a Naim amp directly with a Chord dac a bad idea in your view?
Do you mean a .naim power amp, or any Naim amp?
And any Chord dac?
What is it that would sound bad in that combination?
Or is there a technical reason for this opinion?

Hi Jimdog
I donā€™t believe there is any technical reason why any Chord DAC canā€™t drive a Naim Preamp. I based these conclusions solely on reading this forum, and of the few that have tried it, do not usually like the results. Then most Naim veterans usually chime in and say Naim power amps need Naim preamps to work their best. When I home demoed the H2 and Dave, I was able to use RCA to RCA cables that I have to connect to my Anthem. My dealer did not have the cable I needed to connect my 250 DR, so I never got to try it myself.

Did you mean preamp, or power amp?

Yes I have compared new KDSM to ADSM. KDSM is better and much nicer looking, but ADSM worked well enough for me. The difference wasnā€™t huge. I spent price difference on Urika II which was a big uograde to Urika phono stage.

Not sure if it helps, LP12 Urika II ADSM Katalyst sounds significantly better than LP12 Urika Klimax Kontrol to me.

As you have a pre amp you feally like a s/h KDS Katalyst from a reputable dealer is where I would look. If you like it and sell your NDS and 555 PS then it wonā€™t work out to be expensive. Of course, you have to be sure you like the sound.

If you find Space Optimisation does not work as well for then I would consider adding Chkrd Hugo MScaler &TT2 to process digital out from your NDS. Downside is 4 boxes instead of one, upside should be it sounds superb (a little bit of guesswork here as I heard Chord setup with MacBook as source and Iā€™m assuming NDS is better than MacBook).

Linn solution is very neat and you get Space Optimisation.

I had DAVE drive NAP200 with no problem.
Sounded as good as when I used to use 282 pre.
Of course, itā€™s pretty useless for LP12

but the problem be the upgrade from the kds3. Linn doesnā€™t make it, right? If i buy a kds0 which was upgraded to kdsm katalyst, will it be possible to upgrade in some years this item? because itā€™s not entirely new, but old streamer upgraded to new one.