Dead XPSDR

No. I’ll carry that risk.

Good luck

And what does this mean? Can’t be bothered to order new ones?

1 Like

He told me fitting 2.5A fuses would just keep blowing. Hence why they fit 3.15A which he has discussed with Naim. As as to whether Naim approved, I don’t know.
But reading Richards words above, the original fuse characteristics for 2.5A was marginal. Fine line between protection and nuisance tripping.

Just don’t turn it off. And if you do, wait 30 secs before turning it on. I had blow a fuse on a non-DR XPS2 once, and that was with a non-Naim power cable that I had not pushed in completely, as it turned out. When I fumbled around with the cable dressing I touched this cable, it arced in the plug and blew the fuse.

As for the wrong fuse your dealer fits, this is what Richard writes in the FAQ that I linked further up:

NEVER be tempted to bypass or “uprate” the equipment fuse. Doing so is extremely dangerous. Among other things, the fuse is there to protect against fire in the event of a catastrophic failure. Not only will you void any warranty but you will also put your home, your life and those of your family and possibly even neighbours at risk.

1 Like

I leave on 24/7.
I will get a ticket into Naim support and see what their view is. 2.5A is clearly marginal. I’m hoping there is some science behind the 3.15A rather than " its the next size up".

To my knowledge this is definitely not Naim approved and potentially unsafe. 3.15A is the next size up and NOT suitable here (otherwise Naim would have used it).

2 Likes

Two very different things. The plug fuse (in the UK) is there to protect the mains flex from overcurrent. The fuse in the inlet to the equipment is there to protect you, your kit, and your property should there be a catastrophic failure of some kind. If you’ve ever seen the kind of fire that occurs when you cut through a mains transformer, you’ll be ensuring your kit fuses are all intact and correct…

3 Likes

In many countries, including where I live, there is no fuse in the plug due to different local electric specifications and regulations. I prefer the Naim policy of including a fuse (and a spare) at the IEC inlet.

4 Likes

An update on this situation. I had to power down again yesterday (have McIntosh pre/power amps on home demo as can’t get hold of Naim equivalents right now due to delays etc) and again on power up the XPS DR fuse blew.

When I say blew it actually exploded. Cleaned up the broken glass and used a hoover to suck up anything left inside the IEC socket and then tried again.

Same thing. The fuse just completely disintegrated. Have never seen anything like it. Have emailed my dealer but I think the XPS will have to go back to Naim to check there isn’t a serious fault.

A shame because the NDX2 does not sound anywhere near as good under its own power.

First impression on the McIntosh gear is positive. Very engaging/live presentation. Huge, heavy and a tad ugly IMHO though. Will be interesting to compare with 282/252 & 250/300DR when my dealer can get stock back in.

It’s rare for the fuse to explode from the start up inrush but it has happened before. Was the fuse the exact make, type and spec that Naim supply? As I say, this is critical with the XPS2/DR. If a different make then tolerances may be not so good. Check that the mains lead is properly inserted, as a poor contact can create an arc and this will definitely blow the fuse - if you’re using a Powerline, check the FAQ on how to install.

It’s best to keep the XPS powered up…

1 Like

Thanks Richard. I can confirm that the fuses are correct spec (see rest of thread above) but I have no idea on manufacturer. They were supplied by my dealer so would assume they are correct.

I have one more fuse left so will try again this evening, triple checking the mains plug is firmly seated in the socket. (Using a Powerline lite)

If no success I’ll contact Naim support direct and request details of where I can purchase the exact same fuse as is supplied.

I had actually thought I was being diligent in powering down before unplugging the various inputs to the SN3! Will learn the lesson and keep the power to sources on in future…

OK great. Good luck…

Let us all know how you get on.
You can see that I’m in a similar position to yourself albeit, mine is ( dealer) fitted with a different fuse.
I’m in 2 minds what to do next.
Nothing and live with the risk.
Take it back to the deal and insist it gets returned to Naim for an approved fixed.
Covid and general buggeration is why I have not gone down the 2nd route so far.

@Thegreatroberto I received a reply from Naim customer support. The type of fuse you need is Littelfuse part number 021302.5XP

They are Glass Fuse, 5x20mm, anti surge (T) rated at 2.5A.

I’ve ordered a pack of 10 from a popular online components store.

3 Likes

Whiskyguy, please respect and abide by forum rules. Thank you.

I have never had problems getting the correct Fuses for my Naim kit (for my 250 - or for my XPS2), from whichever Naim dealer I was using at the time (currently @Cymbiosis).

All Free Of Charge, on polite request. Excellent Service :smile: :smile:

1 Like

My experience too.

1 Like

Tom Tom Audio can supply genuine fuses online - XPS DR here working rock solid.

2 Likes

So I’m confused… why did the fuse blow?

1 Like