Decision time - what parts for hifi radial?

I’m in pretty much the same position as @JimDog on this, had my sparks outlast week for similar conversation and I did indeed have this reaction

1 Like

I would look for another electrician in that case, rather than having them do what you’re asking reluctantly or maybe even not to the spec you want. Obviously it has to conform to the regs, but even these are open to interpretation in many respects.

1 Like

Not sure there’s any need to find a different electrician. He’s not reluctant and he’ll do everything the way I want it done and within regs, he just can’t get his head around why I want 10mm2 radials on a separate CU for my hifi. He thinks it’s bonkers. Doesn’t mean he won’t do a good job does it.

If you trust him, fine. I’ve come across more than one case where an electrician says yes, only to downrate the installation with thinner cable etc thinking that it’s not going to make a difference or you’ll never notice.

Yeah I trust him and he won’t be downgrading anything. He’s a good guy and has done work for me before, he just thinking I’m nuts for overspec-ing everything

I had the same confused response, but I just said its a Big Earth thing, and he was more than happy to oblige, although I don’t think he fully considered the effort needed to run this big heavy cable (SWA in my case) 40ft up and over the house

Hi @BBWan

How’s your radial project going?

Best wishes
James

1 Like

Hi @JimDog
All in and sorted. Been enjoying it for 3 weeks now.
It’s certainly made an instant positive improvement, even though the kit had been off for a couple of hours.
How about you?
Regards,
Neil

2 Likes

Hi Neil

That’s great news.
Can you say what parts you used?

I’m planning mine now.
The room’s nearly ready so I just need to make final decisions, order the parts and get it installed.

James

I bought a Hager CU (VML-106) with Hager RCD and MCBs. I might look at Gigawatt MCBs and a Doepke DFS2 Audio in time, but decided I wanted to see what difference a standard install brought to the party first. Very pleased with the results so far. Easily the best VFM upgrade of all time!

1 Like

Just read your thread on this subject over on PFM @JimDog , you’re a braver man than me posting it there! A lot of the replies were as to be expected, narrow-minded and not based on personal experience of actually listening to any differences that may or may not occur. I’ve absolutely no interest in what a book or a theory says, I want to listen for myself. If it makes a difference great, if it doesn’t fine. If it all amounts to expectation bias then I really don’t care, as long as I am pleased with the result and deem the financial outlay to be worthwhile, I couldn’t give a toss what anyone else thinks, least of all an electrician…they’re just there to do as I ask and ensure its done safely and within regs. I really hope they haven’t put you off the idea!

3 Likes

Thanks Neil - I’m not at all put off from doing it.

Just trying to decide exactly how to rig the whole thing and get it done.

Can you post a photo of the busbars?

Can you say how the cables are attached to the busbars?

Did you ever try Rhodium-plated sockets?

They connect to the bottom of the main switch and mcb’s. The new busbar simply screws in over the top of the existing one.
The other thing that made a difference was getting the supply company to change the main service head fuse from 60A to 100A.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.