Dedicated Roon Core

I run ROCK on a NUC 7i5BNH with a 1tb ssd inside for music storage. Better sounding than when I was trialing Roon on my 2013 Mac Pro. I also use a Chinese Zero Zone 12v 6a LPS to power it. No idea how much better that is as I had it on hand. Use a thumb drive attached to one of the USB inputs for backups. Couldn’t be happier. Doing my research I found the i5 to be the sweet spot between processing power, power usage, and price. No idea about the current 8th gen. I wouldn’t hesitate.

1 Like

You can roonify a UQ using the Bridge app in the SonicOrbiter software. Either the Sonicorbiter SE, or a used microRendu would be good choices imo.

1 Like

Hi Camphuw,
We have an HDPLEX200 linear power supply. It has 4 independently earthed DC outputs.
One output powers the Prestige 3
A second powers the opticalRendu
A third could power either an EtherRegen (if there is a benefit from having one with an OpticalRendu) or a Sonore OpticalModule (again, same caveat applies)
This leaves the fourth supply line as a spare in case there is another essential audio streaming wonder about to be launched on an unsuspecting public.

While there will no doubt be even better LPS models out there, we just have to draw a line somewhere.

Hope this helps, BF

1 Like

Thanks -that’s helpful it would make sense to power more than beast from the LPS.

I use my iMac as core via WiFi. Connecting via cable does not improve SQ in my experience so I happily stick to WiFi.
A key advantage is that I don’t get hung up with, or tempted by, the ‘upgrade’ of cables, switches etc.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.