Deleting files from UnitiCor

I cannot edit music files that were imported into my Unicor from a HDD (Files that were imported direct from CD’s are not an issue)
Following advise from Naim Support, I purchased a Digitech HDD caddy and installed the HDD from my UnitiCor and connected to my pc (Disk 1)
However I cannot see the caddy on my pc, possibly because the HDD is formatted GPT and not MBR (I hope the technical terms are correct as it is above my IT level)

Can anyone help please?

Naim

I suspect Linux will have no issues accessing that drive. Hence I would try the following:
Download Lubuntu iso https://cdimage.ubuntu.com/lubuntu/releases/20.10/release/lubuntu-20.10-desktop-amd64.iso
Write the iso to a usb memory stick using rufus https://github.com/pbatard/rufus/releases/download/v3.13/rufus-3.13.exe
Boot your computer from the usb stick
Select the “try it but don’t install” option
When lubuntu is running, attach the uniticore hard drive and do whatever you need.

Alternatively, you could access the Core over your home network. The imported files will be in the downloads folder. If you look at the online guide on the Naim website, it explains how you access the downloads folder from another PC or Mac.

Best

David

Thanks heaps Robert
I will try that

Why are Naim suggesting that you do this when you can simply navigate to the relevant Core Downloads folder over your network and use your computer to make edits without removing its hard drive? That, as David says, is how Naim normally tell you to access it, and it seems you are trying to do it in an unnecessarily complicated alternative way.

1 Like

I have now been able to access my Uniti Core music folder on my network and the delete function is now enabled.
However, when i try to delete or alter any file, i get this message
I have googled error 0x8007003A and get no result

Any ideas?

This method of accessing and editing files is only for use in the Downloads folder. The Music folder is where the Core stores its CD rips, and these must only be edited in the Naim app.

Hi Chris

Firstly, thanks for your most valued replies.
It looks like my methodology has caused the issue
What I have been doing is:

1. Copying all my vinyl (& other downloaded music files) to my pc
  2. Copying these files from my pc to my Naim backup HDD
  3. Restoring the Naim UnitiCore from the Naim backup HDD

So it seems all these restored music files end up in the music folder, not the downloads folder.
My question is: am I stuck with redundant files forever in the music folder, or is there any way to delete (amend) them?

Cheers Geoff

Hi Geoff
To be sure that everything works properly in future I think it might be best if you start again from scratch, assuming that you have a complete backup of your music files. That would mean reformatting the Core hard drive and restoring the data, observing the convention that the Music folder is for CD rips and the Downloads folder is for everything else.
When restoring your existing files I would manually copy them to the Downloads folder rather than doing a restore from backup, as you don’t want any of this in the Music folder.
Then remember to use the Naim app to edit the Music folder, and a third party metadata editor (such as MP3tag) for the Downloads folder.

Hi Robert
Just trying your methodology
All good up to the Boot your Computer stage, but i didn’t get the “try” option
I can’t locate the Naim HDD folder, but I get a “ASMT2115” folder when i plug the HDD in. This folder won’t open
I am not IT trained and it looks a bit hard from here.

Any suggestions?

Cheers Geoff

That will be the id for the usb caddy. Does it give you any options to mount the drive? Unfortunately I don’t have access to a ‘core so I can’t experiment.
Booting into the lubuntu live cd you just need to avoid the “install it now” option. If you get to a desktop with a few icons, and a “start” menu bottom left corner, then it’s running successfully. This should let you access hard drives etc. If I ever have the need to check disks, this is always my solution as Linux can access a greater number of drive formats than windows out of the box.

I’m wondering whether another approach might be to get the Core to take ownership of all the files in the Music/MQ folder by rebuilding the database and then using the delete action in the app for files you want to delete.

I have no idea whether this would work but it would be easy to try once the HDD/SSD is back inside the Core.

Best

David

Hi David
Any chance you could send me a step by step procedure for this please

It’s not difficult. You go to the Core page in the app, then settings (the gear wheel), then “other settings”, then “Rebuild music database”. You may have to confirm - I can’t remember. That is all for IOS but Android will be similar.

When the database has been rebuilt, which could take many minutes depending on how many albums you have, you will see that it’s finished by all of the albums appearing in the Album listing in app. In IOS the total numbers of albums is at the end of the Album listing, so scroll all the way down. If the number is still incrementing, it’s not finished yet.

Then once it has finished select an album you want to delete. Then touch the three dots icon in the top right corner and you will get a drop down menu. Select “Edit metadata”. If that option is there then you can alter the metadata or delete the album in the app. If that option isn’t there, then normally that means it’s an album in the download folder and you have to alter metadata or delete the album using a PC or Mac looking at the downloads folder over your home network.

Taking the HDD out and attaching it to a PC or Mac is a last resort and most people would never need to do that.

Let us know how you get on!

Best

David

Hi Robert
Everything goes fine until i strike a hurdle when i try to access the Naim HDD
All i can see is the hdd caddy id
I have googled and tried all methods to attach the HDD to Lubuntu so i can see it, but all have failed
Any ideas? Any chance you could login remotely?

@gsan it wont be possible to remote connect to a computer running a live linux cd from outside of your network.
But here are the commands needed that should allow you access to the usb drive.
Open a terminal window. Either type Ctrl and Alt and T, or use the menu to launch lxterminal, it should be in system tools.
Type the following command and then reply back with the results:
lsblk
That command lists attached disks, it should give back something like this:

Next command;
sudo su
That is to get elevated access, it should respond back mentioning “root”
If it asks for a password, press enter
If it says it is not possible, try the following command;
sudo passwd
You will then be prompted to make a password on the system, type something easy to remember
Assuming above has been successful, do following:
type this command;
sudo mkdir -p /media/naim
Which means, using elevated access, make a new directory called naim inside media. The -p is in case media directory doesn’t exist, it will make that as well.
After this, we are going to attempt to mount the attached Naim hard drive, but I need to see the results of lsblk first to work out the device id.

If you can recognise the device yourself, then go ahead with attempting to mount it using the next command. The size column should help you, plus the type will be “part” i.e. partitiion, and the mountpoint should be blank.

Your primary computer harddrive is likely to be sda with partitions sda1, sda2 etc.
I would expect the usd drive to be sdb. You can always type lsblk with the usb drive disconnected, then connect it again and repeat lsblk, and your drive will be whatever wasn’t listed the first time round. That’s a surefire way of getting it right.

The command needed to mount the drive will therefore be something like:
sudo mount /dev/sdb1 /media/naim
where sdb1 is the device id of the usb hard disk, replace sdb1 with the correct value determined.
After all that, the hard disk should be accessible as /media/naim
So if you then type this command you should start to see the content of the usb hard drive.
ls -ltr /media/naim
Now just open up file explorer (I think it’s nemo in lubuntu, might be nautilus) and delete whatever you need to delete.

If you are successful in doing this, I think it’s almost certain that when you put the drive back in the Core it will either not work straight away, or at least you will have problems with the database in future. So my advice would be to forget it and use the device as intended.

1 Like

Thanks Chris

I am certainly not going to risk that!!
Is there any chance that Naim could allow deletions from the music folder at some stage?

Deletions of CD rips from the Music folder are done using the Naim app. Deletions from the Downloads folder are done by navigating to them on a computer (while the drive is in the Core accessed over your network. ) So under normal circumstances they have it covered.
As you have managed to get files into the Music folder that shouldn’t be there, I think your best option is to start again from scratch. In other words:
Factory reset the Core
Reformat the drive
Copy the files you want to keep from your backup to the Core Downloads folder. (NOT as a restore from backup)
Delete your backup. Start a new one only for any future CD rips you make.
Use a separate backup method for the Downloads folder, and do not try to add any such files to the Core automatic backup folder.

Good luck!

Perhaps you should also clarify with Naim support what steps to resolve this they were recommending. There must be a reason why they said to purchase a caddy to attach the drive to your pc. Was there a misunderstanding of the issue? Would this avoid a wipe and start again scenario?