Demo pair of ATC SCM50’s..😎

What a match!! That’s all I can say :sunglasses:

14 Likes

Totally agree!!! There’s something really really special about the way ATC and Naim go together!! See:

https://www.soundstageultra.com/index.php/equipment-menu/1135-atc-scm50-passive-active-loudspeaker

5 Likes

Thanks for this! Much appreciated. They’re wonderful monitors alongside Naim equipment! Wow what a great sound synergy :sunglasses:

1 Like

Enjoy, couldn’t quite get 50’s to work in my space and went for 40’s but no doubt the 50’s were superb.

Enjoy.

Ps d did you explore the active option, for me the actives performed much better than the passives.

2 Likes

Farthings,

I never had the budget for 50’s but do own 40’s. I agree with you actually the 50’s need a whole lot more space and room than 40’s to give of their best whereas the 40’s are very easy to make work in most rooms. Also totally agree that active 50’s are a jaw dropping experience and the level of information conveyed is off the scale.

Actives were never really an option for me due to my need to plug in review equipment all the time, but it certainly represents the most cost effective way to high end sound and minimal footprint.

2 Likes

Jonathan, WOW, what a superb read really enjoyed it ATC SCM 50s thanks very much for link. Thoroughly enjoyed the review on scm40 haven’t seen it before captivating read. I agree with your review regarding , “superb transparency and soundstaging”.
I have scm 40 passive they are driven by Cyrus 300 x Signature mono blocks ( 300 watts each) they have a firm grip of the speakers. They produce a very deep wide soundstage with stunning clarity, stella midrange and controlled bass, not over emphasize. The new Pink Floyd animals is a stunning listen. Enya is another stunning listen ( she is absolute centre stage) the decay in some of her tracks is goosebumps territory.
They do prefer the volume turned up a bit to really shine they have taken some time to run in but WOW worth the wait. Good recordings really do bring out the very best these speakers are capable of, they will no gloss over poor recordings.
On a finishing note, its nice to know, Billy Woodman knew exactly what he was doing building legendary drive units and crossovers.
I am able to enjoy his legacy :grinning:

1 Like

Omegaman,

Glad you enjoyed the reviews, hopefully they manage to be informative, amusing and engaging! I have a big feature on Naim (it’s a two part article totalling 5000 words!) going live on there on 15th Feb so keep an eye out for that!

I bet those Cyrus monoblocks sound great with the ATC’s and they certainly have the juice to make them sing! I haven’t listened to the new Animals remaster yet and I gather there’s a new DSOTM coming too so will have a listen to Animals later today as I’m currently reviewing some PMC’s. As for Enya I have always adored her music - in fact I can still recall exactly where I was when I first heard Orinoco Flow. She’s an absolutely unique talent who lives in a secluded castle in Ireland just as you kind of hope she would!

ATC loudspeakers really are something very special and as you say we’re lucky to have them - enjoy the music!

4 Likes

I have only heard them with a 500 system, on several occasions at my dealers. They sound fabulous. They do all that my 40s do and do it better. Unfortunately, I don’t have room or the money for them.

3 Likes

I’ve got the 40’s currently in Passive and they are really sweet! I can’t fault them. They sound fantastic in my sound room.
Early days on my demo pair of 50’s but I’d say they’re presenting a more open soundstage and manage the deeper bass notes with just a bit more subtlety and control. Just that bit more separation between the instruments.
Generally I think Naim should have partnered with ATC instead of Focal :slight_smile: as the sound synergy between both sets of equipment is simply gorgeous.

9 Likes

I’ve not tried the Actives but think given the outlay on the Passives I need to try both before I apply to the bank for a loan :man_shrugging:t4::joy:

1 Like

IF you prefer the actives enough to plump for them, your NAP300dr will presumably be superfluous, as will your SCM40’s, so could potentially be used as collateral to help finance the new 'speakers.

The route I took was an IFC agreement (not IFO), and my very obliging dealer sold my NAP 135’s and Usher speakers for me on a commission basis.

Don’t in general like to get things on finance, but IFC uses "their"money, not mine, upfront.

@Camlan suggested to me that using ATC’s with a Naim pre-amp retains the flavour of the “Naim sound”, and I believe he is correct.

3 Likes

That’s a very good shout. I have a fabulous local dealer here in Manchester who is very helpful when it comes to trade-in and upgrades etc. I’ll discuss with him. Very considerate of you to provide feedback to me! Thanks mate!

1 Like

I’ve just been listening to Animals and the dog barking and howling at 5mins into ‘Dogs’ sounds like it’s at 90 degrees to my right hand side! I even had to look to my right to make sure it wasn’t our dog barking :joy:
I’m just switching to Sheep as that’s got some incredible sound imagery moving around…

3 Likes

Sounds like a lot of fun! I need to play this and see what the PMC’s on review make of it!

One thing I did think when I saw the album was that yet again Hipgnosis have knocked it out of the park with the cover art - what a stunning photograph of Battersea!!

FdV8uJdWQAA3pIr

4 Likes

Wonderful cover! Hipgnosis. There’s a name that conjures my vinyl youth! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Beekeeper, animals is a stunning listen you can hear the difference between the original album and the remix by
James Guthrie. There’s more openness to the staging better separation and deep wide soundstage. Listen a few times and the Atcs really open up the stage.
When listening to sheep it’s like being in a field full of them wow :sheep::sheep:. Dogs is stunningly good the one barking is way off to my right, gobsmacked. Also listen out for high pitch notes ( maybe not the correct term)
Going off all around gives a wide soundstage stella they are floating all around gives a stunning holographic stage.
Brilliant remix of a classic album to showcase ATC speakers

1 Like

Jonathan its a stunning listen James Guthrie has produced a fantastic album the imagery has really opened up. Very holographic staging good separation a thrilling listen. In reply to your post I’m a great fan of Enya she is a beautiful singer and showcases Atcs.
Nice to know also, all the parts for the driver units are hand made in their factory in Gloucester.
Jonathan keep posting updates and reviews always a good read. Thanks

2 Likes

I have said a few times selling a level of fraim, super lumina speaker cable and interconnect and my nap300 more than covered the cost of the active 40’s

Demo first of course as some do prefer the passives……

Gary

3 Likes

I have a Naim system with active 50s in a pretty open plan apartment with tall ceilings (up to 4m) and over 100m2 of floorspace. The amazing thing is that the speakers fill the whole space with sound the character of which changes little whether you’re standing next to the speakers, in the stereo sweet spot, or even in another room.
Passive vs active is interesting, active is much better value for money, passive gives you the ability to tailor the sound to your exact requirements. I went active and added ChordMusic interconnects and power cables, I feel it turbocharges already powerful performance.

5 Likes

Great summary!
I love people who are passionate about their music. I’ll dive back into Animals when the family are out one evening :joy:
Dog barking was hilarious. I had to check it wasn’t ours … how do they do that??

1 Like