Demoing linn DSM + naim nap 250 dr vs superuniti/nac n272 +nap 250dr system

This is very very very odd comment, not sure if you actually own any Linn streamers?

And if you own a Linn streamer (w/o active (Linn) speakers), bar the Klimax, try plugging in a decent pre-amp, you will hear the differences in SQ in a nanosecond.

I speak from my own experience, having owned many different versions/numbers of Linn streamers over the years, don’t trust what adverts say, trust your own ears.

1 Like

What’s odd in my comment? I find your comments odd since there’s zero substance behind them. It’s just your feeling and opinion. I sure can respect your opinion but you seem to state it as a fact. Now that’s odd to me.

I find it rather disrespecting that you question me owning any Linn gear. I got my ADSM Katalyst on February and I use it with active ATC SCM40’s. Ten years of Naim before that. I always buy my equipment by auditioning them, that’s the only way really. Also white paper is not an advert. It’s manufacturer stating facts about design of an equipment.

1 Like

Ok, my apology to get you become too excited :grinning:. Remember that HIFI is just a hobby for some grownup kids.

Now regarding a “perfect” digital volume control, based on your pdf and the Linn web site, Linn only mention the “Klimax” if you read carefully, and they intentionally and carefully leave out the Akurate Katalyst.

Even in my case, speaking for myself, I still find the Klimax can benefit from a good pre-amp, looking back I would have chosen my system differently to optimise my money.

1 Like

But if you read my first post, I just told there that I asked about Akurate DSM volume control straight from Linn by e-mail. They confirmed me that it shares the same volume control design with Klimax DSM.

I’m with you on this - I prefer no extra pre-amp if using Accurate DSM, I moved from Klimax Kontrol to ADSM Katalyst to accommodate Urika II. It was a significant upgrade for me. I also use Chord DAVE and it sounds better direct than with any pre I’ve heard (includes NAC 552) - at least it does to me. If others hear differently that’s fine.

The only expert on which you like best is you. If it sounds better than it is better.

1 Like

Hearing is subjective…

So many songs so many opinions and so much wasted money

2 Likes

You’re so right. I have wasted money buying things that were supposed to make my system sound better. Magazines and forum groups talked of hearing things in a mix they had previously never heard, but when I went for the simplest shortest signal path I began to enjoy my musical collection even more.

5 Likes

So I have read the evolution of the preamp in this thread article by Linn

Interesting. Linn did not mention impedance matching between source, preamp and power amp?

But whatever… I’ve done the test with Dave into my 250 DR and Dave into 282/250DR and much prefer Dave with the 282 in the chain.

Also compared a Linn Klimax Kontrol preamp with my 282, and I while the KK is a very good preamp, overall something is gained and lost, and I prefer the 282. The reason is the 282 maintains a better (darker) tonal balance with the NAP250DR, while the Linn sounds better to me within a Linn system.

The Naim amplification system is carefully designed with unique DIN and SNAIC connectors with maintain star grounding and single signal earth connection. The 250 DR is linked to the Hicap- not the 282, these things do not do not happen with a Linn preamp which uses RCA and XLR connectors.

My ears, money and preference.

1 Like

I’ve mostly had similar results with one notable exception and that was a Dave/Blu directly into whatever Chord amp it was. Traditionally, I’ve not been massively impressed with Chord amps but this was a tremendous combination, no doubt assisted enormously by the fact that it was fed by an Innuos Statement, a zillion quids worth of ChordMusic and was in a purpose-designed room. Still it set me thinking…

A KDSM (Katalyst) into a Linn Twin and Isobariks also sounded pretty damned good, too, after the removal of the Klimax pre-.

:small_blue_diamond:@Dave,…Do you use one Twin or multiple.

/Peder :slightly_smiling_face:

That’s fair enough, but have you tried or thought of sacrificing the pre to fund Blu2 or MScaler? It may be interesting. The Blu2/DAVE/Etude combo is superb.

I think you can achieve great results with Chord, Linn and Naim. I know I could enjoy music on any of them.

It wasn’t my system Peter, it belongs to a good friend. He’s really not that bothered about the equipment, but has an amazing music collection and just wants to hear it replayed to a standard he likes.

I’m running my KDSM into a 552dr/500dr.

1 Like

yes I have had this thought, of selling the entire Naim stack and replacing with a Chord etude… but somehow the Naim stays…

If Linn only hadn’t shut down its forum, shame on them… There were some discussions there about the volume control.

The digital volume control is essentially the same in Klimax and Akurate DSM, with the difference that the Akurate DSM also has a switchable, analog attenuation of 0dB, -12dB or -24dB. The analog attenuation serves to get the signal level as close to the optimal 80dB signal level, prior to conversion to analog. Optimal, because then the distance to analog noise was at maximum. The analog noise in the Klimax was considered to be so low that it didn’t need the switchable analog attenuation.

All of the above IIRC. Linn should revive the forum and make the old content accessible again.

So you are saying the digital volume control on the ADSM Katalyst is not as good as the Klimax?

The surrounding analog environment is not as good. I.e. the DAC is noisier.

Volume control in the digital domain essentially means high precision multiplication of the signal with an attenuation factor. I.e. it’s pure mathematics and this works the same way in all DSMs AFAIK.

At least that’s how I understand it.

Thanks JochenF. However, some folks here are still happy with the ADSM Katalyst analogue out?

Still happy with my non-Katalyst ADSM. However, this will surely change if I would audition a Katalyst ADSM or even a Klimax DSM at home. So this must never happen, at least not before the funds are there.

I think Linn was sensible in closing its forum as there was dubious advice on it that might have confused many of their customers. However, there is still a Linn forum, not as active as this one, which does discuss the DVC function in some detail. The posts from a couple of contributors are very well written.

As an ADSM user I have found the DVC function to be excellent and will not be going back to an analogue pre (agree with you KDSM is slightly better, but out of my price range). I would say the same is true of Chord DVC function on its products. Interestingly Chord makes a superb analogue pre (silly price), but I do wonder why, whereas Linn no longer does. Of course, everybody hears differently and so what I hear may not suit another listener.

My understanding of the DVC function is the same as you have posted.

And why not … as long as you enjoy the music that’s all that matters
Chord, Linn and Naim, of course, make exceedingly good products.