Did Naim remove SMBv1 Support in a recent Firmware update

Hi CrisSU, thanks for the suggestion. Agreed it has always been a bit clunky on Mac OSX, but have always managed to get there either by clicking on Network, or alternatively Go To > Server in Finder. It sees the Unitiserve if I fo this, but then fails to connect at the authentication stage, whether I try to connect as a guest or as registered user.

I guess the Unitiserve is now a museum piece !

Cheers, Paul

My Unitiserve works more reliably now than it did when I first bought it 7 years ago, so I’m not complaining. This sporadic failure to appear in the Mac Finder is the one issue that still persists.
(As a user, there is no login. You get full access to all functions as a guest user, although the term guest misleads people into thinking they are missing something.)

The US may be a bit dated, but sadly I will not be replacing mine with a Core if it dies.

Power cycle your Serve. When my Core behaves in exactly the way you describe, doing this (and rebooting my Mac), has restored the desired functionality. Let us know if it works for you.

There was a macOS update a few months ago that similarly broke re-connection to Synology NAS’ after waking the Mac from sleep, IIRC. You can try two things to see if that’s also your issue: re-boot the Mac; force restart Finder. I don’t know if this is your issue, but it might be worth googling on network connection / mount problems on other, more mainstream NAS devices to see if there is a workaround for the UnitiServe… and as it’s running a flavour of WinXP, you could start looking there, perhaps. Best wishes, these isolated failures are very frustrating (and the cause isn’t always the “obvious culprit”!)

Regards alan

Thanks to those who have replied with suggestions, they are much appreciated. I have tried all of them, but nothing seems to work. Also tried connecting using two different Macs, but neither work. Don’t have a Windows machine. Also tried disabling the Mac firewall. I have enabled file sharing, and Windows sharing in Preferences.

The Mac sees the Unitiserve on the network, recognises it as a windows machine, but will not connect as guest.

Below some screenshots. I have called Naim support who couldn’t immediately suggest anything and have promised to revert, but they havent done so yet.

Any help much appreciated.

Thanks,
Paul

Hi Clare
reading this thread with interest, and i have contacted Naim support but am still in the dark.

Please could I ask one simple question which has a yes or no answer ?

Does the Unitiserve (running latest firmware 1.7c) still support SMB1 file sharing ?

Many thanks
Paul

Force quit finder then try again. Apple is just as crap at networking as ancient servers.

I can answer that while Clare is checking!

Yes the Unitiserve with 1.7c does still support SMB1. In fact I believe that you can only connect to the Unitiserve downloads folder with SMB1, because it doesn’t support SMB2 or 3.

Best

David

1 Like

Thanks David, very helpful. I think my next line of enquiry will be with Apple support, tomorrow. If I get to the bottom of this I will post my findings, I am am sure there are others with similar issues.

Cheers, Paul

One trick which seems to work when a share is asking for credentials which don’t exist, is to put a forward slash in the user name box, then connect.

Thanks Gary, tried your / trick, but to no avail.

So after 2 hours on the phone to Apple support, it still will not connect, and they refer back to NAIM !

Oh how I love the world of digital…

It’s amazing how analogue, the digital world is

David, is there a way, provided you are agreeable, for me to message you or mail you directly ?

Thx, Paul

I think the best way is that you flag this post to @Richard.Dane and ask him to give you my email address, which I am happy for him to do.

Best

David

Have you trued connecting vai the ‘go’ menu and connect to server. You will need to know the ip of the server.

Many thanks Gary, appreciate the suggestion. Yes have tried that, using both the IP address and also the server name. It sees the Unitiserve but then fails at the authentication stage, trying to connect either as guest (which used to work, a few months ago) and registered user. I also turned off the Mac firewall, and the router firewall, no dice.

The Apple guy was at a complete loss, so I have no idea whether it’s a Mac issue, a Unitiserve issue or network issue.

Paul

You need to contact Naim support. They key thing to help is the internal log on the Unitiserve.
That will confirm whether it is seeing the request, and if it is, how it is trying to authenticate it and why it might be failing.

Trying to resolve this things without using the proper logs (which is why there are logs) is often like searching for a needle in a haystack

Hello Clare
sensing that the Unitiserve is becoming obsolete, I have now spent £2k on a UnitiCore. It cannot see the Unitiserve on the network either, so for the time being is redundant. So this is no longer an issue with legacy products but a real issues for the intending to put their faith in Naim and upgrade.

I strongly suspect that the reason the Are can’t se the Unitiserve is the same reason my Mac can’t see the UServe. SMB1 perhaps, I don’t know.

Incidentally I spent 2 hours on the phone to Apple support trying to resolve the issue with Unitiserve and they were at a total loss. They referred me back to Naim.

So here I am.

Appreciate any help to give this a push in Naim.

Paul

1 Like

If you dont need the server in the hifi rack there is just a terrific amount of options out there for way less money.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.