Digital distortion?

Go to Blue Note web site or Charles web site and you will find all three available on CD or Vinyl.

I have no idea if this is the case here. Probably not.

There used to be, maybe still is, a problem in oversampling dac:s where the interpolation algorithm generates intersample-values far over 0dBFS causing clipping in the internal analog op-amps of the dac

So from like 20 years ago you use special metering when mastering that calculate intersample-peaks typical for 8x oversampling and shows this value rather tha actual peak value.

Without such metering the recommendarion is to always leave at least 3dB headroom.

I think that if the OP thought it was a trumpet, but was in fact a sax, the actual answer is clear!

The question that remains is: does it really sound so unlike a sax as to be mistaken for a trumpet, or is the peculiar to the OP?

2 Likes

Look! A Trumpet!

5 Likes

This trumpet is serverly damaged. I can tell because I play trumpet. No surprise it sounds odd.

Maybe it’s a saxotrumpet?

2 Likes

It’s missing a reed mouthpiece…

Thanks for the tip on Bill. Listening on East-West now. Groovy! And no distorted saxomofontrumpet.

1 Like

And the best cover of Heard It Through The Grapevine ever…

2 Likes

Interesting discussion! I pulled this up for a listen, and can clearly hear what Slamdam is talking about. But it’s a sax we are hearing, and I go with the reed vibration and over-miked explanation. Tends to take away from what would otherwise be a good track.

1 Like

Ok. It’s a sax. I get the point. I’m down for counting 3-2-1 :smile:

1 Like

It’s your NAC552. You need a S1.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.