Digital Download Pricing Increases

So maybe I shouldn’t have bought my Melco! Should we all go back to CDs😉?
Mind you I have been busy buying Naxos downloads from Presto music at about £4.00 an album!

It’s looking that way.

I buy selectively, only music I really like (and have no interest in listening to music I don’t really like. I have accumulated only about 1250 albums over 50 years, with very few discarded when I had a major session listening through my entire collection about 10 years ago, verifying my desire to rip and keep. And anything I acquire tends to have a lot of repeated listening over the first few months at least - so in answer to the question, none! But then, I buy for the music, and not as a collector.

So they only have 5 employees and turnover is £/E/$ 700,000 or so?

That’s rather surprising.

Hang on Bert spends that amount in a month with Qobuz🤗

4 Likes

it’s what i read…

I don’t doubt you, I was trying to search for some figures the other day but didn’t find anything helpful. Not sure how viable their model can be for the future, though if only a few staff…

1 Like

I nearly made a similar comment! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I bought Kate Rusby in 24/48 for 12 quid from Qobuz. This is acceptable to me.

I’m not sure how peolpe can predict business models of streaming companies unless they have inside information. Or evidence. :no_mouth:

@AndyP I fear you are not to far from the truth. Wouldn’t be amazed if I am in their top 10 or 20 of most selling customers…, I have the ambition however to get a less prominent position on their best customer list…

1 Like

Bert, if you buy 10000 albums per year on Qobuz ( of course i may exagerate), it represents 100000 euros. So in 7 years you would be able to buy the entire Qobuz society​:partying_face::star_struck:.

£10-£12 is a comfortable mental figure I have for the cost of a new album (even if incorrect or unrealistic) and if hi-res is that price it’d generally be a no brainer to get the hi-res. Considerably more expensive hi-res and particularly expensive CD quality downloads is where I get more cautious and might well go for a physical CD instead.

The 16bit download was 8 quid so again sounds fair to me. :smiley:

Since May 2015 I bought 3960 albums with them, so conclusion crazy…, but not as crazy as you suggested…:slight_smile:

1 Like

it represents maybe 70k of albums. Whouah ! It’s the price of my entire system, even a bit more.

HD Tracks have all the Beatles albums (3) including the Abbey Road Remix and their solo work with a 20% discount this week other stuff up to 25% if your interested and able (those dam restrictions).

1 Like

hi rez has had its day , amazon /red book is the way to go

what does it mean? hirez is the future, not red book. Amazon, Tidal or Qobuz, we don’t know which ones will perform. However i would like to avoid Amazon personnaly. They adress to mass market, not audiophiles.

1 Like

Much music is now recorded in 24bit so it’s hardly “had its day”. Amazon has a limited customer base for audiophiles i.e. Support for anything other that a phone or tablet.

1 Like

That’s good to hear, hope you enjoy it but I’ll continue to buy and own my music.

2 Likes