Digital feed... OPTIONS

I was following that thread. In your opinion, did you find that the Wave Fidelity cables made a worthwhile difference over the leads they replaced?

If I am honest… no, not for me… I kept them, and they weren’t cheap, but probably more to do with my OCD.

2 Likes

@Richard.Dane Thank you for the succinct answer which solved everything (once the penny dropped!) much appreciated :wink:

@Innocent_Bystander Thanks, thats a ton of advice, but working with best practice on the Roon platform, I’m already on the money with my Macbook Pro (Roon server) seperate from my Sonore UPNP bridge (Roon output) which then feeds to a networked Roon stream to the UnitiQute. Wanting to squeeze some extra juice out of this setup by installing a Hugo is a no-go the way I had initially intended (doh!) without spending more again on a different Sonore device, and overlaying some new software as you suggest does seem counter-intuative, given that I am very happy with the Roon interface and it does output a bit-perfect feed to the UQ in my current setup without any format conversion.

@Simon-in-Suffolk Cheers, and good advice I’m sure- but alas no, I am working with limited funds and spending £2500 (or more) on a new streamer and interconnect to feed a £400 DAC into a £700 amp/ speaker rig is absolutely above my pay grade! Although I’m sure it would sound… alright?!?

Thanks for all the tips, for the moment (and given the impossibility of connecting it) I’m going to pass on the Hugo and try some new old stock NACA4 between the 'Qute and Royds. We’ll see :wink:

Sounds like a good plan - keep it simple. Minstrels are great fun and I’m sure they make a lovely combination with the UQ.

1 Like

@james_n Indeed, for it is so… ! Working inside the limitations of both pieces, a stellar budget combo :+1: I followed the advice seen previously on this forum and have the Minstrels up on breeze blocks (just 2) and dispensed with the floor spikes in favour of IsoAcoustics mini-pucks under each… seriously groovy! Will start saving for… hmmmm

1 Like

Yes don’t get hung up on price of individual components… price doesn’t necessarily reflect sound quality/performance … but if you don’t have the funds… then absolutely not worth stretching yourself for… not in these current times.
BTW a good Hugo1 is still considered in its performance spot one of the best DACs in the world… it’s not super detailed, it’s not super extended in the frequency range or dynamic, and is a slightly soft and warm sound, but it’s Mandelbrot effect type capability in the mids is to die for… even the mighty Dave, which I also own, doesn’t surpass the Hugo here…
Of all the Chord DACs… I would say the Hugo 1 is closest to the Naim PCM1704K sound… I used to say the Hugo 1 combines the NDAC and NDS and takes it forward… but you do need top flight amplification to get the best from it. For me the Hugo1 excels driving some planar headphones as well as the 252 and 552.

My only caveats with the Hugo1… is to keep cool, or be prepared to change its batteries every couple of years, and like with all higher end Chord DACs I have experience with… there is noticeable sample variation… so you need to listen before you buy… not all Hugo1’s for example sound the same…

@Simon-in-Suffolk Brilliant- thanks. Now I’d really REALLY like to try the Hugo! But continuing with the theme of immediate fiscal challenge, how does one find/ identify a “good” sample, being that they are all used units now and one not being in a position to buy 3 then sell 2 and keep the “best”… are there certain serial numbers to look for, anything along those lines? TIA :+1:

1 Like

@Simon-in-Suffolk @anybody? Hints please on how to decipher a good Hugo from a bad one, can I get a witness? :face_with_monocle:

Only your ‘ears’ can decide… I suggest attaching to the best amplification you can to hear what the Hugo does… I used to use 552 based amplification.
Alternatively use some not too load demanding high end headphones… such as Meze Empyreans…
If these are not available then perhaps one Hugo is more likely to sound like any other.

If connecting to a 552, then use quality interconnects, I used Naim Hiline, and set the output level to turquoise.

To me the difference was the degree of unravelling into the sound as well as audio sounding as if it has depth or flat.

Finally try and avoid the very early Hugo, the slightly later Hugos had more space around the RCA sockets to allow a wider range of connectors.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.