Digital recorder?

Thanks for that info, I’ll check them out too!

1 Like

Indeed. I bought a Sony PCM-D100 back in 2019. It’s an incredible machine, records via mic and line up to 24/192 and even DSD2.8MHz! It is very versatile and the DAC is very good. I don’t think they make it any more so they seem to be going for high prices these days.

3 Likes

That looks a really nice piece of kit too, I never thought of using one of these more compact devices, thank you very much.

1 Like

Also worthwhile to take a look at the Zoom F3: very tiny, two-channel only; no included mics that you don’t need; 32 bit recording, so no level controls to adjust or worry about, up to 192 kHz; generally pro level reviews (definitely check out the Sound On Sound article from November 2022 free online) esp for field recording; sensibly priced for very low noise input device.

I haven’t got a need for one but kinda want to get one just to play and see how it might work at home or with my camera. What a cool thing!

IMG_8423

1 Like

If the SONY D100 tempts you then don’t dismiss its predecessor, the PCM-D50. You don’t get 192kHz or DSD but otherwise you lose little and may even gain; I had both the D50 and D100 and in the end I let the D100 go as I actually preferred the sound of the D50 when recording and playing back 24bit 96kHz, which is my usual choice of bit rate and oversampling. D50s are available for less than half the cost of the D100. Alternatively the Marantz I mentioned above is only slightly larger and the ADC sounds very nice, as you might expect from Marantz. The price for a secondhand one of these is ridiculously cheap for the quality on offer. I recall one of the Hifi mags reviewing the Marantz and they were staggered at how good it was. I would have one of these (SONY D50 or Marantz PMD661) over the Tascams, Edirols, Olympus, Zoom etc… any day.

2 Likes

I record a complete album.
Transfer to pc using card reader.
Break it down into individual tracks using a free program called Audacity.

Recording using built in microphones was better than expected, although having the recorder on a tripod in the middle of the room and keeping silent was a pain.

1 Like

It sure is a cool looking thing, I’ll check it out!

1 Like

Thanks again Richard, I’ll check them out!

Yeah, it’s the initial recording bit i can’t do at the moment, but with all the helpful info.from all the responses I’ll soon overcome that, thank you, oh! and after many disasterous attempts to record top of the pops using microphones all those years ago I couldn’t face doing it again lol!

1 Like

Recording vinyl makes watching pain dry look interesting. I gave up on it 20 years ago. It’s far easier to source digital from CD or Bandcamp.

1 Like

Not all vinyl releases are on streaming services though. Or on the streaming service one happens to subscribe to, or on Bandcamp.

And maybe not everyone finds the process tedious :slight_smile: I haven’t recorded for years, but have to admit this thread has me thinking about getting my 12" house/dance/techno/electronica collection from the 80s/90s captured digitally. I’m afraid that means with the clicks and pops that characterise them as mine 8)

1 Like

Surely you just hit record when you happen to put on a record?

1 Like

Of course if you’re feeling really flush, you could try a Nagra VI…

Or one of these very handsome Nagra Sevens:

5 Likes

When you can’t unsee some things. They look very very nice indeed 8) How much? Oh, nevermind, I’d very much rather not know X)

1 Like

As someone who uses CD only occasionally and records from vinyl only occasionally, I’ve been happy with my Alesis Masterlink Pro, which does both quite well, and can even burn the recordings to CD. It certainly earns its keep, though the recording / burning part is a little clunky. Does anyone know of an up to date device that has the same functionality, also in a single standard sized box?

1 Like

I have the Nagra seven.
Top machine.

2 Likes

Wow. Can I ask what your application is? Profession or hobby? Studio or field? Audio only or video too? I’m curious about where and how these first grade instruments get used in real life, if you’re willing to share a bit!

1 Like

The machine I have already is for home use only and will be used for making personal compilations etc, where permitted, so just like the good old days of cassette compilations really!

1 Like

Alan,
It’s simply an addition to the hifi.
I wanted something to digitise the vinyl and to record music from radio, etc.
In the old days I used to live using the R2R for recording, so thought I would try a modern equivalent.
Good fun and great results.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.