DIN vs. RCA - an ageless favourite!

@Richard.Dane

I heard back from Naim on whether it’s ok on the ND555 to have both RCA and din cables connected at the same time but having only 1 ( either RCA or Din ) activated.

Reply from Naim below:

As long as you are only activating one output at a time, having just the cables connected will not affect the audio quality. Of course if you were to have them both connected and both outputs activated, this would then have a bad affect on the overall output. It creates a noisy output which in turn will reduce the overall clarity going onto your pre-amp/amplification stage.

Kind regards

Flynn Charter

2 Likes

On a fundamental level, I still cannot see why Naim continue to use DIN connectors. And yes I understand that they are technically better than RCA connectors because they enable separation between the neutral and the shield. I find it odd that Naim still choose to run them single ended, at least in my NAP 300 DR.
Why to use XLR connectors since they are much more readily available, and why not use them balanced?
Please understand that I am not an electrical engineer.
Peter Maguire

Because neither the preamp or source is balanced with Naim.
I am quite sure to not give you wrong explanation. But not 100% sure…

To make balanced worthwhile you really have to design everything in the electronics to be balanced throughout, otherwise you add extra circuitry and cost for no benefit; even then, the main advantage is really only seen when you use long interconnects - this why many Stateside amps are balanced, as their philosophy is long i/cs and short speaker cables. Naim is the opposite, preferring to keep i/cs short and speaker cables long (indeed they need to be long). Neither is absolutely right or wrong, just two different ways to arrive at (hopefully) the same goal. Naim is particularly hot on the system earth to keep noise at a minimum, and this is one of the reasons why they favour DIN over RCA phono as it makes this far more achievable.

Of course, Naim are no strangers to balanced design either - witness the Statement…

2 Likes

Thank you for your response. My main gripe is, however, the use of DIN plugs, and you do not address this point. To me, They are as outmoded as phono plugs. I believe that Naim could achieve the aims that you mention with XLR connectors, as I believe they do with their NAP 500 amp.
Peter

Well, there are good reasons why Naim use (and have used) DINs. You can read a bit about why, here;

As for XLRs, Naim’s view was that “The XLR connector, at its best is only as good as an average DIN plug; the best DIN plug has absolutely no peer”. Naim supposedly only used XLRs on the NAP250 because of the expectation in some quarters at the time that a “professional” amp had to use them. They continued with them as they were useful to differentiate between the regulated power amps with no in-built pre-amp supply to those unregulated with an in-built pre-amp supply. It helped that Naim had designed a special low mass XLR plug to optimise performance.

Of course, move to a balanced system and the use of XLRs is pretty much obligatory…

1 Like

What is it about XLRs that you believe is better than DIN? I don’t understand what you mean by outmoded, XLRs have been around longer than DIN.

If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. You get both left, right and even tape out in a single 5 pin DIN and a unified earth. Why on earth would you want to do that with multiple cables unless you had to?

XLR is very much like bi-wire terminals on easy to drive speakers - a bit of a fad, nothing more. XLR might be a big step up from RCA since XLR, like DIN, is at least designed for audio where RCA wasn’t. But using XLR in place of DIN makes very little sense unless you subscribe to the power amp on the floir next to a speaker topology. And in that case, Naim in general just probably isn’t for you.

This 2-3 minutes during a Naim’s factory tour might answer the question : DIN vs RCA.

–> https://youtu.be/1Z5MIW-HrNc?t=710

Quite simply over short distances balanced connections provide a noiser electronic connection coupling than unbalanced.

You use unbalanced when you can, but if the connection lead is over a longer distance, say more than a metre, then balanced can start to introduce benefits such as cancelling induced noise.

However short leads and unbalanced is top for SQ.

Remember balanced introduces nearly twice the distortion and electronics noise than its equivalent unbalanced

1 Like

XLR connectors are now the de facto choice and are universally available, which is not the case with DIN connectors, especially when needing high quality connectors. XLR connectors appear to be far more robust than DIN connectors. And I note that Naim provide XLR connectors on their NAP 500DR amp. I doubt if they would do so if they were inferior.
Peter

Peter, see my post above…

re. “robust” connectors, it’s something of an irony that while the XLRs used in studios look nice and rugged and promise much, they’re rugged mainly because they have to be to survive in a studio environment where they are plugged in and out often many times each day, dragged across floors, trapped under heavy equipment etc… Naim found that they actually sound better if you stripped away all the heavy metal around the plug body and so created their own lightweight, low mass plastic XLR plug.

1 Like

I’m presuming that it’s not the DIN connections themselves that are the issue for you but the lack of aftermarket cables - most support RCA or XLR connections rather than DIN ?

Yes, that is a large part of my gripe.
Since DIN is a German standard, you would have thought that at least WBT, a German company who make high quality aftermarket connectors, would make DIN connectors but that does not seem to be the case.
There is also the point that DIN connectors seem to be flimsy.
Peter

The Hiline is a bit fragile. The normal DIN connectors are quite robust.

The older plastic DIN plugs and sockets i remember from 70’s Hi-Fi weren’t the best but the Preh manufactured connectors with the metal shells are high quality, have locking collars for connection security and are perfect for the application they are used for here. The main problem comes with trying to use DIN plugs with more ‘esoteric’ cables. They are often too thick to fit properly into the connector body and end up needing to ditch the built in strain relief for a different solution.

1 Like

And I thought that this discussion was going so well, but there is always someone who decides to make it personal. Thank you everyone for your contributions, but I think it is now time for me to withdraw.
Peter

“seem” being the operative word here. I’ve never known the business end of a DIN connection to break. I have known RCA plugs to come apart many times. Several high end components with very tight RCA simply pulled the centre pin out of the cable.

With DIN, the wires are encased in unified plug that is not part of the cable itself. With RCA, the plug is coupled to the cable return. Mechanically DIN is very sound. As is XLR but it’s already been established here that for short runs, unbalanced DIN should outperform XLR.

As for after market cables, how many brands are you really in need of? You’ve got Naim, Witchat, Chord, Atlas and a few others. Do you want to be able to swap around cables that much?

Generally speaking, the fundamental superiority of the electrical connection outweighs the benefits of cable type.

But here’s the thing… Naim do use RCA on modern gear. If you don’t like DIN, use the RCA outputs on a Naim source and the RCA inputs on the Naim preamps. Naim haven’t forced DIN on anyone in nearly 20 years. We use it because it’s superior. But you can absolutely choose from hundreds of fancy interconnects and go the RCA route.

1 Like

I was referring to using them balanced as per previous question.

1 Like

Far from it, one of the reasons why MIDI uses DIN for its connectors as it is robust. Electronic musical instruments, sequencers etc tend to get a fair bit of abuse… far more so than Hi-Fi I would say.