DIN vs. RCA - an ageless favourite!

DIN gives a clean Earth, the way that Naim design their equipment is not using a Chassis Earth, the audio part of my system Earth is via the headshell on my record deck.

The chassis is obviously Earthed to the Mains Earth, for safety reasons, but a floating Earth improves the sound quality. Some Naim gear allows you to select either floating of chassis Earth, move the switch hear the difference.

Yeah haven’t played with it in my main system as I only have one real source… switched to chassis. My second system doesn’t have the switches so floating earth has always been a bit of a mystery to me. Though it sounds exciting! :slight_smile:

Guys, is there any good XLR to DIN cable?
I have IFI PRO IDSD DAC with XLR output. I want to connect it to my SN3 amplifier. I currently connect it by RCA to RCA cable. I wonder if XLR to DIN will sound better

Atlas and Chord can all make such a cable up and it will be as good as any. But unless you are forced to, DIN - RCA would be superior over DIN - XLR. XLR really only comes into it’s own when both ends are balanced and generally only over longer runs >1.5m (YMMV).

If one endpoint only supports XLR you won’t have much choice of course. But honestly, don’t mix XLR with an unbalanced endpoint unless you have to. It’s the worst of both worlds.

Thanks for quick answer.
What would be better - RCA to RCA or RCA to DIN?

All else being equal, in the context of a Naim system, go with RCA Phono to DIN over RCA Phono to RCA Phono.

1 Like

We have come full-circle! :grin:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.