Disk won’t rip

Remember that tracks on a CD run from inside out, so the final track is at the edge where it’s more likely to have been handled.

Something’s not right here, my US virtually never has ripping errors. All I’ve seen is very occasional issues with damaged or copy protected CDs, the latter invariably solved by ripping on a Mac. Maybe time to get the US drive checked out?

Yes, that’s a good point. I’m starting to realise, as I laboriously start ripping > 1,000 CDs, that the two teenagers who professed to disdain their parents’ music, were actually surreptitiously making full use of it. Which is great except that they were teenagers and I’m finding empty cases, disks that obviously spent considerable time on bedroom floors or under beds and, strangest of all, disks which look as though they doubled as plates for snacks! It’s actually more amusing than annoying, I’m somewhat pleased our music was enjoyed after all! It does explain some of the ripping errors though…

2 Likes

Yes when my kids went off to University one after the other I found quite a few CDs and occasionally the cases too, or sometimes only the CD and the album notes with the words for the songs, went missing, leaving the jewel box and a misleading spine and back label to indicate what was previously there. One of them read English at University and so quite a few books made the same journey. In both cases often the return journey proved too much of a challenge.

I have therefore bought the CD of Tapestry three times.

Best
David

@Clive told me his saga with a number of unrippable CDs with a new US or similar. Got swapped a few times. It was the CDs as I remember. Bought more and problem solved. I have that work.

Phil

This is true. It was when I started the streaming adventure. At that time I found around 30 CDs, all in visually mint condition, which either wouldn’t start to rip, or started but then stopped, or missed one or more tracks. Eventually after trying about three Uniti Serve units and a couple of NS01s, the last NS01 was returned to Naim Audio together with a sample of the failing CDs. These were analysed by Trevor Wilson, who found errors on the discs and eventually purchased replacement copies of some of the CDs, which ripped perfectly. It was concluded that I was just unlucky with the CDs I’d purchased.

It may be that @NorfolkT has a similar problem. Maybe another disc (from a different batch?) might solve the problem.

It’s only happened on my US once with this Naxos CD. In the end I returned it for a refund and downloaded the 24bit version from Qobuz which was a couple of quid cheaper. So no problem really.

Had a similar problem with four 30th Anniversary King Crimson CD’s , None of them will rip on my Uniti Core. They also didn’t rip on my old UnitiServe.
weird
Dean

I had some issues and contacted Naim, it needed a full not slimline cd ripper to do the job. With some cd,s above red book limits the Core struggles. Try another drive or contact Naim, they ripped and put on a cdr for me.

Sometimes it’s th disk and it does rip on another drive or after cleaning the disk. Give it a try with your normal computer.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.