Disposable Barbecue bans

Although I can see why disposable barbeques should be banned, I can’t support it because to do so would be punishing all the folk who are responsible citizens. Why should the majority have to pay for the inconsiderate actions of the few?

Well we do alas, in taxes to pay for things like the fire brigade. It only take one idiot with a careless attitude to create a massive fire under the current incredibly dry conditions.
Single use products like bbq’s can and do create littering waste, that’s reality.
Never underestimate an individuals capacity for stupidity.

1 Like

Careful… Huge Rabbit Hole ahead… Energy Crisis…??? The majority being us…

How humans can get away with producing something so unnecessarily wasteful and dangerously stupid? No idea, but we do. They’re not banned yet are they? Just the usual supermarkets pretending they care, but they’ll hang on as long as they can to make a few quid whilst consumers hoard them.

1 Like

Most of this stuff is made in china and we cost these low cost disposable things to easily. It should be banned.

How is it possible that my grandparents never talked about recycling but re-used even giftwraps (as a kid I got the presents in the same paper I used for gifts I gave them) and we talk about recycling hours per day and continue to use disposables in our society.

4 Likes

“Well we do alas, in taxes to pay for things like the fire brigade. It only take one idiot with a careless attitude to create a massive fire under the current incredibly dry conditions.
Single use products like bbq’s can and do create littering waste, that’s reality.
Never underestimate an individuals capacity for stupidity”.

I gather disposable barbeques are responsible for 4% of fires versus around 34% cause by cigarettes, which by coincidence are also throwaway items too so does the argument for banning dangerous, one-use or throwaway items extend to tobacco products or plastic single-use water bottles/coffee cups and wet wipes? I very much doubt it, I reckon it must be a slow news day is all…

1 Like

It should do yes, using your statistical counter arguement logic all these things have a negative impact on society as a whole like the impact on the burden on the healthcare system to patch up the damage caused by smoking and alcohol use. System pic anyone?

So we’re all invited to @anon4489532 for a BBQ this weekend then :grinning:

2 Likes

Bring your own disposable one and cook your own sausages is that?

1 Like

I’d be happy to attend a veg bbq too …

2 Likes

The tobacco issue is different, for a number of reasons, but it has been/is being effectively banned by means of punitive taxation and various smoking bans over a long period of time. However, it’s taken decades, which is a bit too slow when you’ve got a country full of tinder-dry material today and too many people who either don’t know or care how to use a disposable barbecue responsibly.

There’s also the interesting angle that they’re not being banned at all - that would require government legal action. Instead, it’s just some businesses choosing not to sell them.

I can’t speak for any of the relevant businesses, but - in the age of social media outrage and shaming - if I were selling disposable barbecues and considered the likely outcome of the fire brigade investigating a heath fire and tracing it to a product I’d sold, I’d take them off my shelves too.

Mark

2 Likes

In order to get that principle working, it should be visible where they come from. I don’t know the actual status of it, but something in that direction is being worked on for plastic cups.

That’s because more people use cigarettes than disposable bbqs.

1 Like

And we should defo. ban smoking too!

1 Like

Well that’s a tricky one; garbage fat food, garbage cat food, garbage sweet drinks that rot your kids away, literally, can all go too.

Hah! My cats are not giving up their Dreamies crack.

10 Likes

But at the same time legalise marijuana?

1 Like

I think this wouldn’t really solve the problem as you need to dispose of the coals before you fold it up/transport it. With the disposable ones the main issue isn’t the container either, it’s the coals being disposed off (as part of the whole thing).

Hence me suggesting the Son of Hibachi which folds up and can be transported with the coals still inside (even if still hot). There’s probably others.

1 Like

That does sound good, just gave that one I had as an example, the one you suggest sounds much better!

We have a portable gas barbecue. It can run off either large cylinders or the small “back-packing” ones. Cooking area is just about enough for a family of four, it is bigger than a large disposable one. The outside doesn’t get hot, even in use. Folds up like a large brief case and has a shoulder strap. I don’t think it is made anymore but I expect similar ones exist.