Disposable Barbecue bans

1 Like

The biggest issue with disposable/portable BBQs of any kind is the significant minority of inconsiderate people who feel it’s their right to light one anywhere on a beach/in the countryside but are too ignorant or simply don’t care enough to dispose of the waste safely and carefully.

I often get annoyed when plumes of acrid smoke come from these things on a beach due to the use of fuel impregnated charcoal, but more so as so many just light up without any consideration for other people who will be affected by their smoke.

Safe disposal is the major issue - this young girl may need a skin graft due to some idiot burying a disposable BBQ:

There have been several similar cases in the region over the years.

It simply beggars belief that anyone buries a disposable BBQ or coals in the sand to begin with, but that they did not extinguish the coals with sea water (or whatever!) first if they are intent on leaving their litter shows utter contempt for fellow beach users/wildlife.

I’ve often felt disposable BBQs should be banned as I hate the inherent waste of a disposable product like this. There are too many stupid irresponsible lazy people out there who simply don’t clean up their mess if it’s marketed as disposable, let alone doing so safely.

From an environmental viewpoint I think they should be banned. I confess I’ve used a couple over the years but they don’t last long enough really, have poor quality charcoal and rarely suffice for more than a few bangers or burgers. I agree they could be reused perhaps a few times and did so once. More often in recent years I’ve purchased a simple small BBQ for maybe £15 if away from home and packed it up, re-used on other trips.

Naturally as others have mentioned banning disposable ones won’t stop people just burning charcoal on the ground/sand or taking small portable BBQs with them.

Perhaps public information films should be reintroduced to captive audiences in schools or at cinemas! You only have to watch the old ones with Petunia and her hubby Joe to realise there have always been those who are inconsiderate or stupid.

3 Likes

There used to be a whole string of PIFs on things like the Country Code, national parks, swimming, lane changing at traffic lights etc. I’d forgotten all about them!

1 Like

There’s a compilation available on DVD, or at least there was - I bought it ages ago! Great nostalgia in some ways but not really the sort of thing you could sit through for hours on end!

1 Like

It was one of these from memory, available on Amazon:

Charley 2

Now I feel a ‘right Charley’!

1 Like

It’s like tinder here , any happy camper on the Ridgeway…

Not the App I hope! :smiling_imp:

3 Likes

I live near the Ridgeway and the Downs , they are dryer than an actuarial conference in Aberdeen on the Sabbath

3 Likes

Just jesting - I have no experience of Tinder ‘dating’ app just the word juxtaposed with ‘any happy camper’ made me titter a little. Schoolboy humour, sorry.

May I blame the heat?

2 Likes

Mrs HH and I often remark, when we see gates left open, people cycling on public footpaths, chucking litter out of the car window, not indicating properly, blah blah blah, that a few public information films wouldn’t go amiss. Many people seem to be absolutely clueless. Sadly, thinking of others and being sensible and respectful seems to be unfashionable.

6 Likes

A real hate of mine. :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

4 Likes

Sorry I am many years behind the times.

When I say Happy Campers I think of Sid James and Bernard Bresslaw

2 Likes

4 Likes

Disposable BBQs haven’t actually been banned – it’s just that Aldi, Lidl, Tesco, M&S, Morrison’s, Sainsbury’s, Waitrose, Asda and the Co-op have all stopped selling them for the moment.

Precisely.

I always think of this pair:

CoC

3 Likes

While waiting for the picture to load, knowing the film, I wondered where you were going with that….

5 Likes

:rofl: It crossed my mind when I read my own reply!

2 Likes

Agreed. Think we should get Medieval on offenders.

2 Likes

Yes, but the organs can be recycled these days. We are much better than those medievals.