Do I need a wired network to install the Uniti Core?

I would tend to disagree. The S/PDIF connection of the Core is slightly better than the UPnP. I now have my Core placed on Fraim and connected to the ND555 via DC1. The Ethernet connection is just for operating and for the casual streaming on the UQ2 in my study.

1 Like

It was the case for me too, with Unitserve and Nds, until I upgraded the network with an audiophile switch, linear ps and high quality ethernet cables.
But even without that , originally the Upnp has a little edge.

On audio shows, Naim uses Nd555 and Uniticore on Upnp mode. For sound quality reason.

You might try Eero. It works well on Roon with my MacBook Pro into Qutest. Bet it could work on a Naim system.

I have both my Core and 555 connected to an EE8 and then into an Orbi Mesh Satellite with no problems at all. If I check my network through the PC upstairs which IS hardwired to my main router it sees the said devices as hardwired and I’ve yet to have any problems at all. I don’t really know the first thing about networking at all but spending the extra on the flagship ORBI mesh system made everything connected just much better.

1 Like

Thank you!

Hi @Chag @ChrisSU can you run SPDIF to a DAC and also have the Core plugged into the network to stream to other Naim network players? Is the SPDIF output managed through the Core page of the app?

Yes, the Core SPDIF out would be controlled from the Naim app’s Core interface. That means that you wouldn’t be able to add it to a multiroom group along with other Naim streamers, but as a separate system it would be fine.

1 Like

Great, will give it a go later. Cheers.

These are very different things… it’s a bit like saying the yoghurt is slightly better than the cheese in my fridge. It does depend on many variables.

All things being equal the UPnP Ethernet connection has greater potential than the SPDIF on your Core, but no issue at all with the Core SPDIF output sounding preferable in your setup… but clearly will be specific to your setup.

Yes, this is how I use the Core in my own system.

1 Like

Yes, well it was all very interesting as I couldn’t work out how to fit my my coaxial cable to the Core. I had a niggling feeling there may have been an adapter like the one that came (and went) with my UnitiCute2. This lead to a rather long session under the house rumbling amongst stacks of Naim and Totem boxes until I found the Core box. Alas, in the box was a little package with an adapter! Why I left it there and didn’t store it with my hi-fi paraphernalia is anyone’s guess. Any way, it is now connected to a Heed Dacilius and Canalot headphone amp in my media room, which is mainly for watching Blu-ray’s, but it’s where the Core is in my network - so I thought it would be an interesting experiment.

Sounds like you have a coax cable with an RCA plug on it. If you decide to keep using this connection, probably best to get one with a BNC connector rather than using the adapter.

2 Likes

Definitely avoid using an adaptor here - a proper BNC terminated coax s/pdif is the way to go.

1 Like

BNC>BNC DC1 is de rigueur…

2 Likes

I’m going to have to research this, as the headphone amp has what I’d call (not necessarily correctly…) a female coaxial that’s labeled SPDIF - so is that in fact need a RCA male plug with a BNC plug at the end for the Core? BTW the adapter is shipped with the Core.

Your headphone amp may not (probably won’t) have a DAC, so you probably can’t directly connect a Core.

Edit. But I suppose if it has an Spdif input, presumably it does…

Best

David

Ah, sorry, my mistake, it’s a DAC I’m connecting to, which then goes to the headphone amp. It’s mainly for Bluray movies, but I realised that I could connect the Core to the DAC, which I’ve done with the adapter. I’ll call my dealer about a suitable BNC to RCA coaxial cable.

Not using a BNC/RCA adaptor is frankly the counsel of perfection and for headphones I am willing to bet you wouldn’t notice any difference if you had the same cable with a BNC plug instead of RCA plug and a BNC adaptor.

Anyway this an opportunity to spend lots of money for minimal gain, imho.

Best

David

2 Likes

I use the Naim DC1 (BNC) cable between my Core and Mscaler, works great.

Naim throw in an adapter with quite a few of their products that have SPDIF inputs or outputs, as they favour the use of a proper 75 Ohm BNC connection, but presumably figure that many people may already own a coax cable with RCA plugs, so it gets you up and running.
Whether or not you might hear a difference between the adapter and a BNC terminated cable, I have no idea. Personally I just buy the right cable for the job and forget the adapter.
FWIW I have a few different coax cables, and can’t honestly say I can hear any difference between them.

2 Likes