Do Naim streamer owners use Roon DSP?

I’ve been trialing Roon in throttled mode over the weekend (test solution lacks the power to go full throttle) and I’m liking it very much. I’m now wondering if Naim streamer users are upsampling or using room correction functionality? If so, are they hearing any beneficial results?

Keith

I use Room correction and Volume Leveling on my Atom. I took measurements using REW and then got Thierry at Home Audio Fidelity to create convolution filters I could use in Roon. Best upgrade I have made in the system. I could not do any room alterations or change the position of my speakers any more than I had so it’s helped bring everything in to focus. Tighter bass, nice clear mids and highs. Brings vocals from and centre.

Volume levelling I use to a add some headroom to stop any clipping that DSP may cause and because it stops me having to reach for the volume between streaming and local music as will use Roons own analysis of the DR and take the DR given by Tidal, Qobuz as of yet does not provide this metadata.

1 Like

I’m using Roon DSP very similarly to @CrystalGipsy. On occasion I’ve tried to upsample(Sample rate conversion) but I tend to prefer it off for Redbook content. I really should try out upsampling to 96khz using the custom settings but I keep forgetting to.

I use none of the Roon DSP features. I tried using the upsampling for a while, but it seems to take some of the life out of the music. Without upsampling the music sounds punchier and more lively.

Yes that was my brief experience as well. I use it for room correction only currently.

I’ve toyed with upsampling a bit but it makes little difference on Naim kit I have found. Although playing with the filters can make it sound more pleasing on some content, but I always end up turning it off again as it does not work great for everything. Some DACs respond well to it though so it’s all about experimentation.

Thanks folks :grinning:

As so often with hi-fi, mixed opinions and conclusions. I’m naturally suspicious of this kind of thing (I’ve never owned a graphic equaliser!), but clearly it has merit.

Keith

I use a tiny amount of speaker room correction eq (<2dB) with two broad Q IIR filters … definitely don’t touch anything such as upsampling etc … also ensure the Naim Streamer is set to 24 bits rather than the default 32 with RAAT… to my ears I prefer it like that…
The secret is to be subtle and less is more…try and only use one or two filters only if you feel you want to tweak your speaker eq.

I found the the room correction FIR filters ultimately not great in terms of great Hi-Fi audio… transients and micro detail appeared robbed… though it was a fun experiment measuring and building the sample rate profiles (remember if you this you need to create a FIR filter for each sample rate). In the end I found my brain a far better room correction filter.

1 Like

Thanks Simon,

I’m using a SonoreUPNP Bridge (SqueezeLight) to Roonify the NDS which only allows me to set a maximum sample rate, not bit depth, unless I’ve misunderstood.

1 Like

I also have Roon setup this way for my NDX2: 192/24 sample rate for PCM and 128 for DSD, although I have no DSD source material anyway.

I believe Simon is referring to a setting in the Setup for the Naim streamer. I found this the other day and set it to 24. I’m not in front of my home computer else I’d paste a screenshot.

Correct, my NDX2 setup on Roon.

1 Like

@Simon-in-Suffolk I have Clock Master Priority set to default. What does setting it to “1 (Highest)” buy you? Otherwise, my settings are same as yours.

Fewer settings for SqueezeLite, seemingly

Ignore that, it affects multiplay

1 Like

It’s for multiroom streaming same content across all endpoints it sets which endpoint is the master sync. For regular playback it has no effect.

1 Like

Thanks for the explanations. I’m not using multiroom, so I’m set.

Do I use DSP? No😀 ND555 doesn‘t need it imho.

When using DSP for room correction, that really has nothing to do with whether the ND555 (or NDX2, or whatever) needs it. It’s whether the room needs it, and that is irrespective of the digital front end otherwise. I think you are thinking more in terms of up/down-sampling, but DSP is more than that.

2 Likes

Yep your correct. Not sure I get why there is such an aversion to it in general. All streamers employ some form of DSP all ready to get their signature sound. DSP is used in all high end active speakers as well to get the best sound. If used well it works wonders if done badly then it can rob a system.

1 Like