Do you believe in ghosts

Cheers for the suggestion but I’ve set my sights on the 202/200/NDX2 this is more system than I ever intended. After much pondering it really appeals to me as a good compromise. It gives me a good performance vs price ratio, it’s balanced (supposedly) and it leaves me with future upgrade options at a much later stage.

Why not change your atom for an atom he and build amps in your loudspeakers, Mark?

I thought you might say that! Just thinking of options that might work for you if you’re trawling the second hand market. An 82 or 282 is a clear step up from the 202, but I do think the latter gets too much of a bashing on here and it’s a pre I could happily live with in the right system.

Wouldn’t that be dangerous splitting the atom.

2 Likes

I did consider that option but I’d be limited to the plate amps available on the market which are mostly class D. The class D goes great on the bass driver as it doesn’t carry any of the character of the sound. After living with Naim amplification on treble/mid i enjoy it too much to give up. It also gives me the freedom to upgrade or change later. Also, as good as the Atom HE is, i feel it would just be another stepping stone. If I go the NDX 2 at least I can’t afford the next step and I won’t be wondering. Well I can wonder but I can’t do anything about it.

1 Like

I know you’re only being helpful, cheers man appreciated. I’m sure it’s a clear step up but hey, there’s always a step up. I have to draw the line somewhere. My Mrs has had enough of hifi stuff over the last few years. Bless her.

You should have built active speakers and hidden all the electronics inside the cabinets! I guess that could be seen as a design compromise, but perhaps worth it in the interests of domestic harmony.

Hi, thanks for clarification I misunderstood and thought the 82 caps could be replaced with a supercap, I’ll just stick with the hicap at the moment but you never know, thanks again. Neil

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.