Do you use your system instead of the TV speakers?

I use my Linn Sneaky DSM and Q Acoustic 3020 for my TV sound. Did try my Mu-so but not to my liking.

Very little TV usage; occasional movies (or series), mostly.
Had a setup with Apple TV and streaming the sound (AirPlay) across the rooms towards my 20+ years teenage system and long cables. Was okay (far better than TV itself), but sync was not perfect.
Got an Atom a year back and very much like the sound: wide stereo stage, clear sound, nice volume. No sub though; never had one, but have experienced with other people’s setup that already rather simple subs have “oomph”. Cannot get myself to add a sub to the Atom so far; got floor standers so that sound should not be thin (and it is not - just no extra juice).
I wonder for years, if I should investigate 5.1 sound - but the room is not optimal for rear speaker placements. Interesting, that several people combine their AV with the main (or secondary) HiFi system.

The TV has no speakers. So it’s useful to have a Meridian DSP 5,1 system, otherwise things would be a bit quiet

I have a second system in the TV room: TV digital out goes to Bluesound Node 2 > Nait XS > Majik 109s.

Marantz 10:2:2 dolby atmos, Mission and AE, LG 65" OLED but also conected to the n-dac via optocal.

We don’t have a television in our house. So I voted no.

1 Like

Living room (48" UHD LED): Muso
Guest room (40" FHD LED): UnitiQute / Focal Chorus 706
Home office (no TV, but 30" 4K PC-Monitor): NAC152 / NAP200 / Focal Aria 905
Music room (no TV, UHD beamer scheduled): NAC252 / NAP300DR / Ovator S400

My Kuro is still going strong. Found the optical option wasn’t really engaging so I just take the Sky box and DVD player straight into the 202. Whenever people query the cost of the system I point out that it’s in use one way or another every day.

I use optical out from my LG C8 into my Naim ND5xs - feeding my active ATC set up.

The LG TV also has line-out (3.5mm), but I haven’t tried this.

Sounds pretty awesome compared to the internal TV speakers :grinning:

1 Like

Yes . TV , Movies , Netflix , Sports etc sound superb through my system . Optical out straight into my DAC and select PCM on TV settings . It’d be a waste not to if you have a TV in the same room .

Lounge with Nova and Totem Forest Sigs.

3 Likes

Media room with Uniti2, Core and Totem Hawks:

3 Likes

We always watch the TV with sound routed via the hifi. It adds a whole new sense of scale and immersion to the experience.
BF

2 Likes

Me too …
Ovator S600s, run actively through main system. Old Sony Bravia into 52, with snaxo and 135s (also NDS and NAT02).
No other tvs in house, but other rooms have Uniti qutes racked up under the stairs opposite the main system out of sight / way. It is a small room but the Ovator don’t dominate (too much clutter softens the room!).
In the photo you can just see the kit under the stairs (router and NAS and ‘qutes.

3 Likes

I wanted to hence purchase initially and Atom then Nova with HDMI, after a replacement Atom (blown HDMI module) i decided just for music.

I have a Sony soundbar (with powered sub) attached to a large Sony TV. The sound is more than adequate.

To me, it seems a bit heretical to connect wonderful Naim kit to a mere TV. Irrational, I know …

1 Like

I actually have dedicated AV amp and 5.1 speaker package for the TV and it is on all the time (the amp not the TV). I’ve gone into the menu on the TV and disabled it’s on board amp and speakers. The prospect of having to put up with audio from a TV speaker even to watch the news is terrifying to me. In rooms with no hifi, I use wall mounted sound bars to avoid this.

I have a pass through with my Nad receiver which takes care of the rear speakers while Naim takes care of front and sub…

No.

1. TV is in a different room from music system!

2. I do have a projector & 12ft wide screen in the music room with my hifi speakers sited either side of it except when ‘serious’ listening - however I also have a surround system. Although the latter is nowhere near as good as the hifi for sound quality it sounds plenty good enough for movies, so not worth the faff if changing over front R&L. I might consider otherwise if I had much decent concert video material with high quality soundtrack, but I don’t.

Had to initially when I had a Pioneer Kuro … didn’t have speakers.

Now I have the optical out from my TV connected to the DAC V1 and hence through the rest of my system; great to listen to the radio on FreeSat.

Allan