Does 250DR need A5 cable?

I have just moved house and the hifi is going into our lounge. The visual appearance of my ageing A5 cable plus it having the turning circle of a truck is not going down well. I need better alternatives.
I believe that the old impedance matching issues are no longer there for the 250DR, and so I have more choice. I want to stick with copper as experiences with silver have not been to my taste with a tonal shift towards a brighter sound.
To be honest, I have normally experimented, and then put the A5 back in because it sounded ‘right’.
Any suggestions please at the affordable end of the market?

Linn k 20

1 Like

Lot of folks here like the Witch Hat cables, believe they are designed by ex Naim guys. Also Chord cables are well liked.

1 Like

Good suggestions above. There is also Superlumina, which is pretty room friendly and I haven’t found in bright on a 250DR, but certainly opens up the width and depth of the soundstage, has a wider dynamic range and is more revealing.

1 Like

I think you are probably wrong about that. I think the 250DR is certainly one of the power amplifiers to which the rules apply. It’s the new Unitis that are said to be less critical.

5 Likes

The 250 most definitely has the Naim’s old school requirements for high inductance and low capacitance cables. If in doubt A5. But for sure, other cables will work if you pay attention to their spec.

I think you will find that a huge variety of cables is used on the forum. I use Atlas Hyper 2.0 with my 250dr. One thing you can do is if you find a cable you like, if you email Naim support and tell them what it is and how long run you intend to use, they will indicate whether it is safe to use or not. While obviously recommending you use A5 of course!

1 Like

https://www.the-ear.net/review-hardware/naim-nap-250-dr-power-amplifier

Worth a read.

3 Likes

We’ve been here before and I’m pretty sure that “you can use any cable” statement has been firmly walked back.

3 Likes

If it were me, I would stick with NACA5. It can actually be made to almost disappear visually, thanks to its stiffness - it can be formed and bent to hug the wall very closely, so I find it less obtrusive than most other alternatives. As you say, there’s something about how NACA5 performs that is hard to beat in the context of Naim.

5 Likes

Tellurium Q Black II has been a great match in my system (I use 4m). Same shotgun style design as Naca5 which should mean similar load to the amp.

2 Likes

Well…the Atom wasn’t sensitive. The Nova did not like the AQ cables I bought.

As well as all the above suggestions, a lot of people seem to like Kudos KS1 cable too which is easier to handle. I find my NAC A5 a bit of a pain too and may well investigate alternatives at some stage.

Linn K20 for me

1 Like

Is the cable black? If so, would white NACA5 be more domestically acceptable?

Roger

1 Like

Chord Odyssey.

Witch Hat, NN or Phantom. Both well made and flexible.

Linn K20 is so relatively inexpensive, it has to be worth trying… :slightly_smiling_face:

Isn’t Linn’s LK20 the same cable as NACA4?

Similar but not identical. NACA5 is appreciably better so taking such a backward step doesn’t make much sense here.

1 Like

I use Chord Epic Twin without any issues for some years now on my 250 DR