Does a NDX2/555PS/NDS make a ND555

I think best to leave it to others to relay their impressions of each unit when used with the DAC. Failing that, there’s plenty written about it on here and in the Forum archive if you conduct a search.

2 Likes

We ignored all that.

The nDAC was for sale in period between 2012-2018 with DR power supplies the norm.

So whilst some have the personal impression a non DR 555 is better on nDAC, in reality many of us are very happy with the DR. And unless you want to buy a power supply which is at least 11 years old you needn’t worry….

2 Likes

Still nothing here to warrant the upgrade from NDS to ND555 for me.

Most of my listening is from local library and not from Tidal/Qobuz.
Then with my NDS as part of a Roon system, the Roon Core processes the internet based stream, and it is presented in the same way as a local stream through Roon, as a UPnP stream to the NDS.

An additional Power Supply on the NDS on Socket2 for the Analogue side, has made a such a different to overall SQ, with the 555DR on Socket1 for the Digital circuits. So if you have a NDS maybe a second PSU would be a better route than a ND555 upgrade. There are options.
And certainly ‘Roonification’ of the NDS gives a lot too.

2 Likes

With the 333 streamer to appear in a few weeks, Nd555 may drop in second hand prices. Not sure, but probably.
Then in response to Mike question, if Qobuz and Tidal is the main streaming, I would go for Nds at 2k. ( connected to the present Ndx2).

The ND555 is quite a step up from the NDS……, a bit like a comparison between the CDS3 and the CD555…., not saying that what is suggested wouldn’t be a nice setup. But let’s not fool each other that such a multi box setup comparable, while it might be a nice source at great value for money.

1 Like

When I heard the 333 it was in my feeling more on the level between the NDX2 and the NDS, but obviously I might be wrong based on my audition at the show.

1 Like

Its academic really as I can’t afford to test the water with a second PSU purchase just to see.
That said I’ve still got lots of other bits to go at… I’m working on my collection of powerline’s at the moment… a preloved one arrives on Tuesday for the nDac.

1 Like

The reported differences between the NDS and ND555 is mainly in internet streamed services, due to the later generation streaming board with a bigger buffer.
So with local UPnP streaming, and dedicated power supplies for the Digital and Analogue circuits, are the relative differences still relevant? More over worth the upgrade price?

1 Like

I know it’s not better vs the Nd555, but I am quite sure some will sell their Nd555 to get the new 333, in the same way someone convinced himself that the 222 is better vs Cds3/555 dr.
Specially if they go for new classic 300 series, some will prefer the white logo to match the 3 other 300 boxes.

1 Like

I hope for everyone who wants to possess the ND555 (for reasonable price),as it’s a really nice streamer👌.

4 Likes

Hi, it will certainly work, but no it won’t be the sound and performance of the ND555.
You see NDAC, NDS and ND555 and even the CDX2 minus the DSP are all very similar in their DAC implementations, but they all sound quite distinctive… as each has specific design optimisations to create its style, and no doubt through continuous. Improvement improve their performances.
So I would compare the NDX2 analogue signal output with that of the NDS being driven by the NDX2 or similar… they will sound different. One won’t be necessarily be ‘better’ than the other, but you may clearly prefer one over the other.
I was never a great fan of the NDS for most types of music… with choral being the one exception. I preferred the NDAC /555PS non DR, but that was just me, my system and my tastes…

4 Likes

You were not alone!

3 Likes

I would’ve expected that you’d put Naim’s top power supply on the analog side.

How did you compare them?

Not possible as Socket2 just accommodates the ultra low noise 22v rails required for the Analogue circuitry.

All the rest are on Socket1 provided for by the 555DR unit, which is doing a great job with a clean supply to the Digital circuitry, now separate from the provision of the supply for the Analogue circuitry - separate transformer, case, mains supply etc.

1 Like

Did you ever try them the other way round?

Not possible - the 555DR has provision for both Socket1 & Socket2, the other just has Socket2 so can’t be used on Socket1

1 Like

Oh, I see, thanks.

I appreciate you posting but I think you are violating the site rules.

1 Like

Hi,

Apologies, didn’t know about that, link removed.

Points to note that after several experiments paring the NDS with NDX2/PS555 + Mutec re-clocker/Ref10 clock, it is fair to say the difference of this setup is much much more closer to the ND555 . The only down size is the setup itself is not cheap and you end up with too many boxes.

But even without the Mutec re-clocking, NDS/NDX2 was still one of my favourite streaming combo from Naim. As someone already mention nDAC/PS555 is similar spec with the NDS, but the tuning in NDS is more analogue/Naim than the nDAC personally to my taste.

Will be interested to see how long Naim will redesign the ND555 to be using some of the new classic design and and hopefully with further upgrades.

Cheers.

Ken

2 Likes

You have the 555PSDR on the NDS and NDX2 using its internal PS right?