Does anyone play on Chess.com?

My puzzle rating went up to 1900 lately, which feels like good progress since I only started in November at 400.

1 Like

This was me (black) against Komodo Dragon 3 (NNEU mode) (white) with the ELO set to 1400. I’m still practising so there are no timings giving me chance to have a good study. :thinking:
The opening was unusual - “Van Geet Nc3” - I’ve never seen or heard of it so I did a bit of research before continuing play.
https://www.chess.com/openings/Van-Geet-Opening

After the game had finished I ran it through Chess.com’s analysis and was advised that I should have played 23…Rxb7 capturing the free bishop :face_with_hand_over_mouth:- this meant a queen exchange though and I didn’t really want to do that. Instead I played Qb5, I then captured the white bishop on the next move.
https://www.chess.com/analysis/game/pgn/3kj9HXQEG6?tab=analysis

I need much more practice :slight_smile:

1 Like

I stayed with an old friend in London recently.

It turned out he hascbeen playing on chess.com for 5 years.

We’ve now had one very short game where he chased my Queen around early on, and then forked my queen and king with a knight, at which point I resigned.

Then I had a very long slow game with him, which was one day per move. I managed to pin his queen to his king with a bishop, and then he dragged it out for about a week without resigning. In case I made an error, but I didn’t.

Then I beat him in a really scrappy 10 minutes each game.

Now we’re in the middle of another one of those agonising correspondence games. The problem is he is crushing me in the early openings and then I have to try and find some way to get traction in the middle game or the endgame.

But I’m learning loads whenever I go on chess.com.

He mainly seems to play the queens gambit as White and the Sicilian Nejdorf as Black.

1 Like

My Daily rating is up to about 1450 and my puzzle rating is 1950.

I’ve also done well over 100 lessons and am nearing the end of the ‘advanced’ training programs on chess.com.

My chess is way better than it ever has been and is mostly very enjoyable, although I’ll have to stop I suppose at some point (otherwise it will take over my life).

I hope Ding wins the World Championship.

1 Like

Hey, Nepo just threw away a winning position and lost to :bellhop_bell:.

That makes Ding the psychological favourite now.

That means they’re both level in the tournament with two games to go.

That is dramatic.

I got their app for my son when he was at primary school a few years ago - I was never a good chess player but he beats me in no time, maybe he has an affinity for it but I suspect the app has really helped.

1 Like

He might enjoy watching bits of the remaining two games of the world championship?

1 Like

Good thought, lots going on at school currently and he’s distracted by video games - do they have archive play available for the matches?

I watch it on chess.com, which I think is hosted only live by Twitch.

There are also many YTers streaming commentary on the games – e.g. Hikaru Nakamura, Epic chess, Gotham, etc.

I imagine the FIDE YT channel will have it archived.

1 Like

Just made 2007 on Puzzles.
:nerd_face:

Have you played anyone yet?

I haven’t yet. I’ve been busy with stuff at home - garage rewire, home electric consumer unit and my car rebuild. :slightly_smiling_face:
I need to make some daily time really, it should be easy given I’m retired but it seems that I need some structure to get going.:thinking:

Downloaded and played a bit and it looks really good. However now deleted as I’m not paying money each month to play chess…

I’m a paid member (cos I need all the help I can get :slightly_smiling_face: ) and pay annually for the Diamond membership.

I think you can play for free.

Something like the daily puzzle and up to maybe 3 other puzzles - and I think games too?

Not sure of the details, but you can use it without paying anything.

A friend of mine who’s rated over 3000 on Puzzles doesn’t pay for it, and plays blitz with GM type opponents AFAIK.

You can play for free (with no ads from what I can remember) and review one game per day.

You pay mainly for the reviews and puzzles etc - and these are really useful if you want to improve.

I think it’s a great site and don’t mind paying for the work they put in.

1 Like

What do you mainly play, Matthew?

Here is the detail:

BASIC (free) account

This is the account that all members have upon signup. A free account comes with access to all of the following:

Sound interesting? Sign up here!

GOLD accounts

A necessity for those looking to improve their chess! Gold accounts get everything a basic account gets, PLUS:

Ready to get Gold? Become a member here!

PLATINUM accounts

The next level of membership, Platinum accounts get everything Basic and Gold accounts get PLUS:

• UNLIMITED game review and analysis
  • Manage up to 100 Daily tournaments at once!
  • Earn 5 vacation days per month and store up to 90 vacation days!
  • Additional Custom flair icons!
  • Invite friends to your analysis board!

Want Platinum? Become a member here!

DIAMOND accounts

Diamond is the top tier membership, unlock the full potential of Chess.com ! Diamond accounts get everything Basic, Gold and Platinum accounts get PLUS:

• Unlimited Game Review PLUS get coach explanations on all of your moves!
  • Access the Insights feature to see stats and data on all your games!
  • Customize the analysis settings to get the most out of analysis!
  • Even more Custom flair icons!

I hate to say it but I do get hooked on the 1 minute bullet games but they’re no good for improving one’s game.

The 10 or 30 minute games are probably my favourite. I think that the review feature is excellent - especially in tight games.

I have been continually playing Daily games for a few weeks now with an old friend who lives in London.

The slow pace (and ability to be ‘on vacation’ if I time out as I have a gold membership) means the quality of play is very high by my amateurish standards.

I love the Explorer feature on these games where I can click Analysis and play forwards down various avenues making the best move for each player until I can see my way(s) forward.

It’s pushed my Daily rating up to about 1550 from not having done any Dailies before.

And my Puzzles is now at 2090.

Enjoying my chess like never before as I approach my 59th birthday.

1 Like