Does MuSo Qb Wifi degrade over time?

The situation with Qb2 is completely different. One of the issues there is that some routers, in some territories, go to a 5GHz frequency that is not permitted by the Qb2 (this is because the Qb2 is designed to comply with all applicable regulatory requirements, but these have changed in some countries). At the same time the 5 GHz band is likely to be much less congested than the 2.4 GHz band, so fixing the Qb2 on a 5 GHz channel that is within its frequency range is a good plan.

But with Qb1 it only works on 2.4 GHz and it’s really impossible to know which will be the least congested channel in any location/situation.

So the advice for Qb2 just isn’t applicable to Qb1. The right answer For Qb1 is to use ethernet instead if WiFi doesn’t work in a particular situation.

Best

David

That’s all interesting, but if the OP has a problem, the cost of trying to go to the router’s browser interface, look up the channel congestion graphic that most routers I have seen in the last decade offered, and choose a fixed channel that looks good, is zero and 2 minutes. I have seen my router auto-choose a suboptimal 2.4 channel, too

Come to think of it after your post, though, when the forum member at the time posted the advice they received about the Muso 2 with 5 Ghz on channel 36, I read it as some kind of Naim workaround for a known device issue, probably because in past months I read way too much about magic like snaic-touches-burndy, but most likely the Naim support suggested this for this member’s specific wifi situation :rofl: Thanks for setting my head straight and sorry for any confusion caused.

2 Likes

Just took a look at the wifi analyser on my phone, it’s picking up nine wifi routers on 2.4.

4 No. – Ch 1
2 No. – Ch 6
3 No. – Ch 11
I’m on channel 11 (fixed) at -30dBm all the others are about -80 to -90.

While I was looking at the analyser one of the routers on Ch 11 switched to Ch 1.
Presumably if all the other wifi routers in the vicinity are constanly switching channel to avoid congestion, they will move away from my fixed channel if it becomes congested.

What I am finding strange is that the OP has noticed it on two different WiFi radios. And all other devices are unaffected.

I guess both could have initialized on channel 6, which is often congested as many routers do, and all other devices could be only on 5GHz.

But with the mesh I’d expect them to auto switch to 2.4 if used elsewhere in the building.

Out of experience, if all devices work fine except one, that one often ends up as the culprit.

But as your said doing a WiFi scan takes little effort if one knows what to look for.

You could try and switch to 8 and see what happens?

1 Like

NO WAY.

If it cuts out while my wife is playing a game on her tablet, I know what will happen. :crying_cat_face:

I might try it tomorrow when she’s out Christmas shopping. Switching to channel 1 might be interesting to see if it forces channel 1 users to switch to channel 11.

1 Like

You say the wifi was mostly fine when you first got the Muso QB but gradually got worse.
It might be something as simple as you reconfigured your room, maybe moved a cordless phone base or replaced a lightbulb with an energy saving one, or moved such a light closer to your router or Muso.
It’s amazing how wifi can be affected by such things.
I once had an issue and it turned out someone had moved the cordless phone base to “the other side of the computer” so only about 2 feet, but in doing so had placed the phone base next to the router.
It ruined what had previously been a decent connection.

1 Like

2.4ghz can be affected by a multitude of things. Cordless phones, microwave ovens… it can get very crowded. You might want to shut everything in the house that uses WiFi off. Then slowly add them in see what’s causing problems. You can also set Muso to a static IP address. And move things that can work on 5ghz off 2.4 and limit their access to 2.4. I’ve set up my home so that only my streamer uses 5ghz and it has a static IP

1 Like

Haha, tread carefully I’d say!

I don’t think it will work that way. At -80 and -90 they seem to be quite far away. Being on the same channel is not a given that it is problematic. The other radios have to give a stronger signal at your location for them to affect you. Plus they could be hard set as well.

And with your -30 it’s also unlikely you’d see a difference moving to another channel.

Hi @Fatcat. Thanks for this advice. Will try locking my access points to keep my QB2 from “going purple” every other day. Nick

1 Like

Could you put a mesh access point near it that connects wirelessly to the router, but enables a cabled connection to the device?

1 Like

Yes! This is exactly the setup I have with my Star and it works beautifully. Also have my Roon Core wired into the same AP.

1 Like

Do you find some mesh access points are less apt to lose their wireless connection than Wi-Fi access points are? If so, I wonder why those connections should be any more reliable.

Not saying they are not; but the only mesh I ever tried (Asus) failed (reliably).

Nick

That’s a hard one to make a blanket statement about.

I have had a Netgear Orbi RBK50 system with one satellite for well over two years now. Long before I even got into Naim.

It is has been extremely stable. Like all routers it needs a restart nou and again but they are few and far between and my devices never just lose connection to the wifi.

The backhaul connection between the satellite and the router also never drops as long as the path between them are not too blocked up with stuff.

I don’t think that it should per se be more stable with connection but the mesh routers are typically a little more expensive so I would assume that they use better radios in them.

1 Like

Me too, Naim dealer recommended an Orbi RBK50 and it’s been rock solid. In in my case with the (also older wifi technology) ND5 XS.

1 Like

OK thanks for more suggestions… and I’ve just seen that my previous reply is awaiting authorisation so there will be some cross posting I guess…

I have switched off mesh roaming for the Qb, it does appear to be continuously on the right mesh device but you never know.

Putting a mesh satellite next to the Qb and cabling from it might be worth a try, as that will take the Qb WiFi out of the equation. That will mean buying another satellite which isn’t really an option right now, but one to ponder. I could move the existing satellite but concerned that moving it further from the base station will introduce problems, for example weaker signal due to distance and there will be more backhaul on WiFi as it is currently Ethernet wired back to the main unit.

The current satellite position is maybe 8m from the Qb the other side of a stud wall. My phone app tells me the signal at the Qb is about -50dB to -55dB (and about -65dB or less from the base station). I am apparently on channel 1. I occasionally see a flash of a neighbours WiFi on channel 11 at -80 to 90dB.

I also noticed that when I scanned just now my printer’s WiFi Direct is on, I thought it was off, it now definitely is.

If I do get another satellite I could also try putting it halfway between the existing one and the Qb.

The mesh system I have doesn’t seem to allow me to select the channel. I can ask it to do a ‘network optimisation’, it comes back and says that everything is ‘perfect’.

Other stuff - we don’t have a DECT phone (or any landline phone). I did replace some halogen bulbs with LEDs in the next room but these are off during the day so not sure how they could interfere? The thermostat for the Qb room is wireless, I did wonder about that, but it says it uses 868Mhz. I don’t have any smart devices.

Hmmm…

1 Like

I’d say try this. If it introduces issues move it back to where you know it works. You can check speedtests before and after as well. On my Orbi all the backhaul is over WiFi and it works like a dream.

It may provide a workable solution with the Muso wired in until you can get the other satellite and return to the current setup plus with wired in Muso.

The signal strength suggests it should be fine. But personally I have found WiFi to sometimes be dark magic. Things in the path of the WiFi signal can also affect it. I had a case where I adjusted things in my room like 10 cm to the left and suddenly my satellite was dropping backhaul signal constantly. Turned out the way I moved it it was just occluded by my one speakers that is shielded. I moved it away and perfectly stable again. So even if you stand with your phone close by it could just be that a combination of objects is decreasing signal strength at the exact location of the Muso Wifi radio.

So you can also temporarily relocate the Muso to the same room as the satellite and check stability. If this is solid you know it is not the devices. Then you can move it back and try various locations in the other room to see it it works.

1 Like

Just took a look at the wifi analyser this morning on my phone, it’s picking up a lot more wifi routers.

9 No. – Ch 1
2 No. – Ch 5
11 No. – Ch 6
1 No. – Ch 8
7 No. – Ch 11
So, switching to Ch 8 would be a good idea.

Moving aound the house the lowest signal I’m getting is -60dBm.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.