Does shorting inputs help or hurt?

Saw a video from ps audio’s Paul : should you cover your audio inputs? I wonder if anyone has tried and what is your experience or opinion given your understanding of Naim design? Paul said they do it all the time when measuring noise and it can make several db’s difference with measuring equipment but more of a myth in terms of audible difference it makes.

Important thing here is inputs, not outputs! Don’t short your outputs. That could blow the amp! Anyhow, I can’t be responsible if you damage your precious equipment experimenting. And sorry, not posting video link here, because pretty sure that’s forbidden.

No issue at all ‘shorting’ inputs. In fact the correct term would be grounding inputs. On a well designed system there should be no benefit grounding inputs, but if you are in an electrically noisy environment it may help.

3 Likes

Thanks @Simon-in-Suffolk! :+1:

1 Like

I tried this a few years ago when I had Audiolab with RCA sockets using RA ‘shortie’ plugs. I measured & listened, the only difference I could detect was a barely perceptible change when the shorties were in or out and that output was switched on, nothing at all on the other inputs being driven normally.
It’s not surprising when each input is a few cm of PCB track to a relay, so all they were doing was ‘shorting’ that section of open PCB track to signal ground. I concluded they did nothing other than keep dust out.

1 Like

To dust my connectors or clean up any oxidation etc coating them, I use DeoxIT contact cleaner. Only needs a tiny little bit and works real well. :slight_smile:

1 Like

You really shouldn’t need any contact cleaner; indeed some can leave nasty residues behind. All you need to do is plug and unplug all your connections several times, every six months to a year or so.

1 Like

Totally agree. I haven’t done this 6 monthly or annual ritual until last year. It was interesting how much the solution removed. But it is important to wipe away residue lest it leaves a film on the contact.

In the 80s there were articles and measurements by Jean Hiraga how leaving switched-off devices connected to preamp inputs would cause distortion. Depending on the circuit used.

Avoid contact cleaners.

The point I was making is that you don’t need the contact cleaner at all. Simple plugging and unplugging is all that’s necessary.

I get you @anon4489532, I bought it just for fun and wasn’t for audio equipment. Just thought I give it a try and was surprised at the result. :grin:

Thanks for nothing guys. Took your advice … inputs only.
One huge bang and clouds of smoke. Now what?

1 Like

Shorting or covering?

Audioquest has these covers, which short nothing and look like insanity to me. Anybody tried those?

Haha, 95% of the price tag is in the AQ logo, rest of it in the electroplating. :rofl:

1 Like

So ungrateful after giving you the perfect op for system upgrade. :rofl:

Ungrateful is an understatement. I shorted out all my inputs and all hell broke loose. Coax digital, analogue inputs, speaker inputs.
Now I’m stuffed.

Is hell silent?

Not :shushing_face:
More like :boom:

Come on did you really blow your amp up :roll_eyes::roll_eyes:

Did you read my post?
What do you think given what I have written?

Did you short ONLY the unconnected and unselected inputs?