Does Spotify Premium stream @ CD quality?

Yes!

Best

Steve

1 Like

So, in a way, it is something like the Tidal MQA streaming technology?

Thanks again @Stevesky for the prompt and quick explanation, and this is the main reason why I always go to the Naim forum for ideas, advices (even I own a Linn DSM/3 streamer, and an ex nDac owner).

I understood that it’s just the normal Spotify, which uses the (compressed) Ogg format at 320 kbps at the max quality setting

1 Like

yes, it is not the same, but similar (I think) from a high level point of view. The reason that I am saying it because it needs to be “decoded” to pcm 44.1/16 in order to achieve the cd quality.

I think sending a compressed audio file is an old story, nothing new about it. It is just that Spotify sends data with Ogg Vorbis audio compression technology.

I think I am spoilt by Roon/Qobuz, which send data in uncompressed flac stream.

Yes, but that’s not much like MQA

I think your (and of course @Stevesky) are correct. It is just that Linn do not explain fully/clearly how their streamer displays the streaming details.

Nice to know I am not alone in my assumptions,

1 Like

Yes, you are (partially) right, except the Spotify audio quality is lossy CD quality, and it is clearly superior to mp3. I think in some cases, it is hard to tell if there are any audible differences between Qobuz and Spotify on the same album.

Except the SQ issue alone, Spotify wins in every aspect as a streaming service. Well, if Spotify goes HIFI, I do not think I need Roon (and HQ Player), and Qobuz.

Spotify is Ogg, you just said it yourself. And Ogg uses a different set of algorithms than mp3, but it works on the same principle and it’s essentially the same. Both have technical strengths and weaknesses compared to each other. It’s lossy, like mp3.

There is no “lossy CD quality”, the whole point of the term lossy is that it loses data compared to its input. If you convert CD-quality WAV to Ogg or mp3, the result is lossy compared to the original WAV. (It isn’t with FLAC)

It may well be that a difference is difficult to hear between CD and a high-bitrate lossy file like 320 kbps, but that’s because the compression quality at this bit rate is good enough, not because Spotify is using any magically better Ogg.

Ironically, non-audiophiles have said so for a decade

1 Like

Really, Ogg Vorbis is not better than mp3? It’s clear according to my ears! I have never enjoyed mp3 music (on my mobile devices), but I like Spotify Premium from CarPlay.

I think the general agreement is that at the same bit rate Ogg is probably better. But if you were to compare a 320 Ogg vs. a, say, 512 kbps mp3, the latter might be better.

Of course that’s worth something for Spotify because it saves them storage space and network traffic.

However, at the basis both are simply lossy compression algorithms, a tech that is two decades or more old and has been mature for one decade. There is no new-fangled “lossy CD quality” here (compressed CD quality, lossless, would be FLAC, which is nearly as old).

1 Like

I said it was 320kbps data rate didnt mention anything about mp3, Spotfy use ogg for theri streaming format. I have never found it sound that bad, like others claim, not as good as rips or Qobuz but its far from unlistenable.

Ok, I got you!

So Ogg Vorbis 320 kbps is uncompressed to lossy 44.1/16 (@Suedkiez, my definition of lossy cd quality), which is not too bad in some instances, and I do not need to use Airplay.

Decoded is the word. Yes these lossy formats have no real bitdepth or sample rate so they can be decoded to whatever you like, most do 44.1/16, but Roon decodes all lossy formats to 44.1/24

Yes, decoded is a better word than uncompressed in terms of technical correctness. I am on the layman’s mindset.

Well hopefully we’ll have true lossless cd quality before the year is over. I signed back up with Spotify in anticipation it was coming out soon. I just tried Tidal hifi for a few weeks and was unhappy with the experience. The app crashed a lot, mixes were only weekly, not true lossless if had MQA badge. The screen lock features barely worked on the iPhone. Usually had to reopen app to get it to know that Tidal Connect was on playing.

Spotify app works much better. You can setup Spotify connect from settings instead of having to start music first on Tidal to get connect options. They also integrate song lyrics music better. The app is slicker than roon on an iPhone. I have lifetime sub to roon but will be dropping Qobuz once Spotify hifi comes out and just use that for everything.

I’m using Spotify for car, working out, and bookshelf speakers. For serious listening with Naim HE and Focal Utopia’s, still using roon/Qobuz for now.

1 Like

Agreed on every word. :slight_smile:

Got you too! :slight_smile:

The other thing that’s nice about Spotify is their advanced search engine. This is something I’ve been asking roon to add for years. They have a great focus feature but only works on albums you have already favorited. I wanted it to work direct on the streaming service. So with Spotify I can quick do an advanced search and get results instantly.

So if wanted a narrow search of grunge music from Sub Pop during the certain years, I can type this in: label:sub&pop&records + year:1989-1992
You can also put in “-“ if want to exclude criteria.

Here is more info.

3 Likes

One thing Spotify gets right and that’s connect. Simple way to play to your hifi or speakers. Shame the app is so damned awful these days. It’s just full of noise and not much of that is related to my listening habits.