Dog friendly eateries in Salisbury

Does anyone know any good dog friendly eateries in Salisbury? We will be staying overnight at the White Hart, which is where I stayed on the Naim factory visit. They are fortunately dog friendly, since we go everywhere with the dog. Has anyone got any recommendations for somewhere dog friendly that’s got could food near there?

Many thanks! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Try searching the Good pub guide online - 2022 just released

The CAMRA guide recommends the Haunch of Venison (1 minster st) or Rai d’or (69 brown st)

1 Like

I thought dogs other than guide dogs for the blind were banned from indoor eateries under food hygiene legislation? (I’m not certain as it is so e years since I lived in UK/EU and have only followed their and EU food hygiene legislation insofar as it may translate to where I live).

Doesn’t seem to be. Plenty of dog friendly pubs and restaurants around.

1 Like

I believe the restrictions apply only where food is being served, though outside, non-enclosed seating areas are exempt, (brrrr :cold_face:),at the discretion of the licensee.

From the Bluecross website

Dogs in pubs, restaurants and cafes (UK)

There is no law or any health and safety regulations that ban dogs from being in premises where food and drink is served or sold. However, they must not enter areas where food is prepared, handled or stored, for example the kitchen.

It’s up to the owner of the establishment that serves food and drink whether they’d like to welcome dogs.

2 Likes

Bloody dogs. Why does everyone have them? Or two? Or three? Or four? I’m all for dog unfriendly places. Mike’s dog is lovely but I don’t want to to be in a hotel or restaurant with smelly dribling dogs. Bring back the dog licence. £500 for the first and £1,000 for the second. Their piles of poo in oil based black bags are a drain on both the environment and the public purse. People mither on about their drooling family member not being welcome in place X, Y or Z and how it’s a total infringement on their right to have a lovely life. There is an easy answer, get rid of the bloody dog. Have a dog? Accept that not everyone loves them.

6 Likes

One of my biggest bugbears is dog owners putting poo in bags and discarding them in parks/woodland/natural areas of beauty instead of taking them home - I’d rather the crap was flicked with the proverbial stick into the bushes to degrade naturally (we’ve been here before and all wondered why we never see chalky dog poo anymore).

Even worse to me there’s a local primary school with a bin on a lamp post - it’s always full so dog owners deposit the black poo bags on top of the bin or at the base of the lamp post - not only in a pedestrianised area but where primary/nursery age children could easily come into contact with the bags.

I’ve even had some bags put in my food recycling caddies !!! :face_vomiting:

I surmise you may not be dog-friendly HH :wink:

How a zoologist like you can hate dogs? :chicken:

Do you have dog poo trees in France, suspect not.

Alternatively:
Bloody kids. Why does everyone have them? Or two? Or three? Or four? I’m all for kid unfriendly places. XXX kid is lovely but I don’t want to to be in a hotel or restaurant with smelly dribling kids. Introduce a kid licence. £500 for the first and £1,000 for the second. Their piles of poo cleaned with oil based wet wipes are a drain on the environment. People mither on about their drooling family member not being welcome in place X, Y or Z and how it’s a total infringement on their right to have a lovely life. There is an easy answer, don’t have bloody kids. Have a kid? Accept that not everyone loves them.

For the record, I have absolutely nothing against kids or anyone with them. There are as many bad parents that might justify the second point of view as there are bad dog owners which might lead to the first. There seems to be a lot of intolerance of anything outside peoples own personal ideal of what the world around them should be.

Anyway, sorry Michael, cant help with dog friendly eateries in Salisbury. If you ever come to Andorra, you will find a high level of tolerance and acceptation of (well behaved) dogs in restaurants and shops. In fact, unless there is a sign prohibiting dogs (there are a few), you can generally assume they are welcome.

7 Likes

As a dog owner, I would find that totally unacceptable. Never seen anything like it. Is that a thing in England these days or is that a specific example?

People walking dogs are encouraged to pick up dog poo and they bag it in small bags.

Many bags then just get left or tossed at that site rather than being disposed of carefully. Others seem to decorate trees with the pooches poo, the example pic is from a BBC page, we don’t normally see pink/lavender bags so maybe that’s an attempt at public information.

I took the kids to lovely sand dunes a few years ago - bags of fermenting dog poo everywhere, I just don’t get it, either bag it and dispose properly or don’t.

I think it also shows in urban areas a lack of facilities for disposal, or at least ones that are inadequate.

Apologies to the OP but can’t help with a restaurant.

1 Like

Zizi’s in Salisbury used to be popular?

1 Like

Whouah ! It’s horrific !
What is the idea behind it?
Is it forbidden to throw the bags in garbages ?

It’s almost harder to find a non-dog friendly place in Salisbury, so you will be fine.

Sonder Coffee is a great coffee shop/brunch place.

All the main pubs welcome dogs - The Old Ale and Coffee House is a decent gastro pub, as is the Ox Row Inn.

Sure there are more: it’s a very compact city that’s made for wandering, and you will meet dog owners everywhere that are happy to chat!

4 Likes

Haunch of Venison is a superb place to drink, but I think they are looking for a new chef right now! Superb quirky pub with a TON of history, though.

Rai d’or goes craft ales and good Thai food. A good call, that one!

3 Likes

Thanks to everyone for their replies.

FWIW irresponsible dog owners are as big or even bigger source of irritation to responsible ones as they are to everyone else.

One could of course list any number of social irritants, from big-mouthed willy-waving business meetings in restaurants to unruly kids with dribbling ice creams and spewing drunks. To say that business, men, kids, ice cream and alcohol should be banned in all public places would be delectable to some, of course, but maybe taking things a little far…

6 Likes

It’s the same in Italy…

1 Like

The Haunch is reputedly spooked as well - as an added bonus !

1 Like