Dog Left Outside

I would record a video along with written text & date if I was about to start monitoring a possible animal abuse.

So sad. Maybe try calling local council as well. When everyone are back to school and in their offices leaving their pets at home, I fear many won’t like the separation and will create nuisance for the owner and neighbors and end up surrendering them or putting them down. :sweat:

I would see if there’s any rescue groups for animals in in your area. After the last hurricanes in the US a lot of dogs were brought up to the northwest and put in foster homes and then placed for adoption. My daughter adopted a Australian blue herder. The process was very thorough and I felt as if we were attempting to adopt a child. We love our dog and take them wherever we go and treat them just like we would treat one another. Good luck on dealing with this situation and God bless you and your wife for showing your concern.

The RSPCA site offers advice and guidance.

1 Like

Thanks all.

And thanks Richard for the links. I read the section the for the dog being outside and the provisions are not being met.

All I can do is watch and record evidence. Video if possible too as that records sound.

Seriously some people shouldn’t be allowed to own pets.

They might not want the dog in the house at all time, and it looks as though they’ve cut some trees down which might have given a bit of shelter?

Does seem very strange leaving it in the soaking rain if they’re in - could they not simply open the door of that ‘Wendy House’ to let the dog get a bit of shelter if it wants it? If the window is open surprised the dog hasn’t tried to jump in.

I suspect they’ve not been successful with house-training and it’s easier to stick it outside. But this is speculation on my part.

Are we not guilty of making tons of assumptions about the owners etc on this thread?

Bruce

1 Like

Yes, but any outside dog still needs shelter from the weather.

I don’t like the French rural way of seeing dogs just as working animals but they do provide outside shelters for them.

What is wrong with some people?!! :cry:

Why is it commonly seen as OK to let cats out all day and/or all night without providing shelter, but not dogs?

(N.B. This is not saying that dogs shouldn’t be provided with suitable shelter if they are left outside.)

You are aware that cats are a different species with hugely different behavioural patterns.

I would have thought that was obvious. A cat will hop the fence and go wherever it wants. It will find shelter without any provision being made by us humans.

1 Like

I think if they really want to cats will find somewhere to shelter from the rain, even if it’s on another property if the owner;s garden is sparse.

I’m a sucker though and used to put little plastic shelters out for cats a few years ago when we had regular stray visitors a few of whom we eventually took in.

Is there a door on the wendy house?

Odd, I thought they were identical animals apart from one barking and the other miaowing! :grin:

Of course they are different - though there are also huge differences between breeds of dog in terms of both behavioural patterns and hardiness, possibly greater differences than between some cats and some dogs. Also a major factor is how the dog is brought up - if it has been brought up to live outside, or brought up mollycoddled and carried everywhere in a handbag, or any shade between.

My observations do not in any way detract from the need to not mistreat any animal, including dogs (and cats), which in the case at least of animal ownership includes ensuring that there is sufficient shelter for the animal (which will vary according to the type of animal, including breed of dog.

It is a valid point that a dog’s ability to find shelter for itself is limited because it can’t climb and in many instances will be in an enclosed area like a garden where shelter can be limited (depending on the garden), while it is true that because cats are not generally trapped in a fixed space there is much greater chance that they will find shelter somewhere - though not universally so. But people I have known who put the cat out seem to do so without the slightest thought for whether it needs or can find shelter (and sometimes they have been shocked when they have found out what the cat did do about shelter).

I’d assume so, unless it’s open at one end in which case you’d expect the dog to go in even if not completely dry.

That was my point. If there is a door and it’s open then theres shelter there which would be acceptable to the rspca.
If the door is closed then there would appear to be nowhere for the dog to shelter in which case the rspca would be obliged to act. (Reading from the links supplied above)

1 Like

Possibly half door. If fitted it is probably not open as tge hinge position means it would be visible unless just slightly ajar.