Don't expect Tidal Max anytime soon

How does your setup look like?

Roon app with Server (build 1401) on a MacBook (Monterey 12.7.5) playing to Unity Atom on latest firmware, both connected via 5 GHz Wifi.

Might be everything running on WIFI that is your problem when streaming more data. I have a mac mini on ethernet and my Bridge on ethernet.

Which I’d doubt. 44.1 kHz/16 bit is working flawlessly on the same Wifi, as has been Quboz Hires weeks ago - and playback of different tracks from different albums (hence different hires resolutions) all stop reproducibly after the same amount of seconds after the start - I’d rather suspect a software problem then unstable network…Will report back in case it was unstable network and would work tomorrow…

I have to say that I find the mconnectLite option works very well. If anything I’ve been a bit disappointed at how little of what I like is available any better than Tidal’s “High” rather than “Max”, at which point I might as well just use the Naim/Tidal integration!

But I’ll persevere in case the next album I choose to listen to is available in Max resolution.

1 Like

Have to correct myself: roon does support Max and it’s working!

Had to reboot my Atom. Put it to deep sleep mode, disconnected it from power and let it boot up again.

I just wish Naim would release the firmware update already, I’m really disappointed they are taking soooo long, especially seeing much lower quality Asian manufacturers released updates months ago!!! :disappointed_relieved:

5 Likes

Sorry I can’t agree with you re mConnect. Although it will stream Tidal in high res to Naim, it is a terrible piece of software. Very frustrating to use. Personally I would sooner listen at 16/44 via Naim’s excellent app. After all isn’t it the music that’s important rather than the bitrate?

2 Likes

Daniel Ek would say so.

1 Like

It looks like crap, but functions better than the Naim app and the Tidal app for me, for one specific reason: iOS lockscreen control!

1 Like

I’ve found that it hangs a little bit, but overall, mConnect is not bad to explore 24/192 for the odd album or track. I wouldn’t want to use it full time… Here’s hoping Naim gets a solution for Tidal Connect asap…

Is there really something over 44kHz when you listen to a 24B/192kHz track ? There is someone here who put a track in soundforge for example ?

All of my “wow, that track sounds amazing” moments turn out to be 24bit streams. I haven’t experienced a similar reaction to higher sample rates.

1 Like

I wonder why Qobuz offers a lot of 16/48:?

There’s nothing for me in the difference between 44.1 and 48kHz. However 48 is a simple integer down-sample from 96 or 192 masters, which I respect from a production hygiene perspective.

Production hygiène perspective ? Enigmatic for me. Can you explain ?

It’s rare these days to record or produce at 44.1kHz. Typically it’s happening at 96 or 192. And most mastering engineers strive to preserve quality at the tail end of production by keeping things simple: i.e. it’s cleaner to downsample to 48 and have no rounding errors to deal with.

1 Like

Aren’t CDs still 44.1/16?

Yes, but it feels like a significant compromise now as it’s so far below the quality of current recording/production standards. Thus the growth in popularity of “high res”.

Care needed. It may be that the track/album is a different master. Bit depth/sample rate may not be the only variable. Never assume that the ‘high res’ album differs only in bit depth/sample rate.