Downsizing.. again

The HE misses out the power amp section of the Atom but supposedly has a better pre. (It’s a bit more complicated, but that’s the gist of it.) The power amp duties in the system are taken over by the speakers and you end up with a one box system. There’s loads about Atom HE on the forum to read up about and several highly complimentary reviews.

At least one Naim staffer has used Atom HE with £10k+ active speakers with good results, so it ought to be great with more modest ones. A pre-streamer + actives is a very satisfying way of building a system, at least in my experience.

Roger

1 Like

The Lux amp and the JBLs must be a super system. I’d suggest at least trying them in your new space before selling everything! (I don’t think you’d gain much space by swapping in any of the items on your list, anyway.)

You’re not tempted to go back to the SQ-N150?

I downsized from NDX/XPSdr/282/SCdr/250dr to the Luxman tube with the matching DAC a year ago and, with the just right speakers, it’s amazing. It just needs careful pairing, but with a pair of Zu’s or Omegas, will drive real volume in a large room.

You’ll find that the Luxman SQ range fits on a midi rack (I use a Quadraspire Q4 midi) so it may be seperates but the footprint is less than a single Nova.

I’m not knocking the Naim option. I still have all the Naim gear in storage. But I’ll be dammed if that little Luxman doesn’t outperform the massive Naim in a number of areas.

2 Likes

I’ve recently had ND555, 552 and my old 135’s on trial with the new Rogers LS3/5a Classic SE, a combination I liked very much. A bit less sure sure about the subwoofers but maybe I failed to set them up right. I will try the ProAc Tab 10 Signatures next.

4 Likes

thanks guys!

Just borrowed the NAIM and ProAc to compare with my luxman & jbl system, let’s see!!

If I cannot live with it, possibly will give it a try (again) to the small tube one plus Auralic Mini.

So the Chord DAC is that goood?

I think the Qutest is a rather remarkable DAC. Had mine on the end of my AURALiC Mini whose internal DAC is no slouch.

Buy 2nd hand and if you don’t like it you will lose nothing when you resell. Rob Watts (designer) believes the optical input to give the best results.

Atom or Nova and Tab 10s. I have Atom with Tab10d and love them. I have solid steel 6 stands with mine.

9 Likes

thanks guys, gonna have a look to the Chord.

PS: CrystalGipsy what an amazing and clean setup!

1 Like

How are the Gaia feet when angled as they appear to be on your stands?
Still have some “wobble” to them I assume.

Like the choice of colour (tone?) for your stands & speakers, they integrate really well in that space. Looks really good.

Cheers, Rack.

:+1:t5:

1 Like

Thanks very much.

G

You’re most welcome. :sunglasses::+1:t5:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.