Dr. Who?

A program of its time, utterly utterly ruined by today’s pc BBC. To redeem it it needs to move from the BBC and have a brand new back to the original dna writer or writing team.
The pallet of opportunity to make interesting exciting stories with quirky characters has been chucked in the bin and needs retrieved.

For me 3 Doctors rise head and toes over rest.
John Pertwee
Tom Baker
Chris Eccleston

David Tennant vs a credible Master was awesome too

I so sorry that kids of today are forced to swallow such pc crap.

5 Likes

This is a meaning of “tarnished” beyond my comprehension. Do you mean “seriously enhanced”? Jon, who even made the Navy Lark listenable, gives a portrayal of the protagonist in Barbara Euphan Todd’s amazing stories, which is one of the highlights of television. It is up there with Mr Geoffrey Bayldon’s performance in the multi-award winning series: Catweezle.

It was 1936 when Barbara wrote ‘Worzel Gummidge or The Scarecrow of Scatterbrook’. surely a tome that changed literature forever. It was the first of 10 books about a scarecrow that comes to life. In the 1950s, no less than Denis & Mabel Constanduros scripted radio plays for children. And who can forget, Gordon Rollings who in 1967 narrated no less than five Worzel Gummidge stories on Jackanory. Sadly, Barbara died in 1976, while negotiations were in progress for the television rights to Worzel Gummidge books, but she should have been proud of Jon’s masterful performances.

Gordon Rollings have previously played a character called Wurzel in the Hammer classic “Captain Clegg”. Clegg aka Dr Syn the parson of Dymchurch under the Wall invents the legend of The Scarecrow and the Marsh People of Romney to deter people from prying too closely into smuggler’s caves. Gordon was also the Night Porter in Carry on Doctor and the Monster in Give My Regards to Broad Street. Russell Thorndike’s tales of Dr Syn are another must for young children (and adults) unless you really do have plans for them to spend their lives in William Hill’s waiting for them to weigh in at Newton Abbot.

2 Likes

I couldn’t agree more for what is lost is never gained again.

Perhaps we need a Tardis to travel back to those times.

You are not alone - what have the BBC done to Sir Arthur’s Conan Doyle’s consulting detective.

3 Likes

Catweazle and Worzel Gummidge two shows the family could watch together.

I do hope there will be another outing for Mackenzie Crook as Worzel.

2 Likes

MC was good - plenty of scope for more episodes

2 Likes

Sorry, word may be misleading: whenever I try to think of him as Dr Who, I can picture his dress style as the doctor, but the image instantly morphs into a scarecrow in the Tardis!

1 Like

Scarecrow in the Tardis would make a great single.

Some might say that when the Doctor regenerated into Peter Capaldi he had indeed morphed in to a Scarecrow, but those who dare might find themselves in the thick of it.

2 Likes

I don’t remember hiding behind the sofa, but I can still remember the shocked look on my sons face when he first saw Davros.

Not really that modern. The Romans from series 2, (1965), was set in Rome, featured Nero and a fire.

1 Like

Remember that I hid behind sofa (I was about seven at time) , having said that the Weeping Angels scared the poo out of me in my fifties.

2 Likes

There seems to be a constant complain of stuff being too PC nowadays. not sure what that means…

Having a diverse cast in the current series - just for the sake of diversity and not adding any value per se maybe?

No ulterior motives - but Can folks give examples of the non-pc stuff in the past they liked? And that would not fly today?

Or is it more the unnecessary PC stuff now?

I grew up to the Dr Who’s of Jon Pertwee and Tom Baker. I loved them both. I enjoyed Chris Ecclestone when the series rebooted and really liked David Tennant. I began losing interest when Matt Smith stepped in to the role and my interest waned further with Peter Capaldi. I managed one and a half episodes of Jodie Whittaker before calling it quits so for me Dr Who is a regeneration away at least.

1 Like

Well the stuff that wouldn’t fly today Are You Being Served?

Mrs Slocombe and her cat

Love Thy Neighbour

Bernard Manning

Jim Davidson

I could go on, but most of it was distasteful then but one I did like and who sailed very, very close to the wind

Dave Allen At Large

"Screenshot 2020-05-24 at 17.05.04 "

These days , never mind the assistants it’s the doctor I fancy :heart_eyes: :heart_eyes: :heart_eyes: :heart_eyes:

You couldn’t say that about William Hartnell.

1 Like

Very true Ian!

But he was still the best doctor by some margin.

My objection arises when shows start to promote agendas, sometimes via enlarging casts to try and round things off and tick boxes (be it ethnicity/sexual orientation) - which is where I think Dr.Who has headed off to. Running with more characters may give more story opportunities but it also limits dedicated screen-time, and the ability to flesh out and develop characters. e.g. with Tom Baker, the writers managed to give K9 a personality (of sorts) - I would say that little traversing metal object had better acting skills & certainly more personality than some of the current cast.

No ulterior motives - but Can folks give examples of the non-pc stuff in the past they liked? And that would not fly today?

That could be a very long list. ITV TV in the UK in the 1970s was riddled with some quite offensive racial content (the BBC not so much IIRC). The subject of 'Allo, 'Allo! (1984-1992), a BBC wartime comedy has been raised on the Forum and, IIRC, things got quite divisive – in truth it did play to some (OTT) stereotypes but it was so hammy and surreal that many (inc. me) struggle to see the angle for offence - but, there are many views in the prism of life.

3 Likes

I’ve only watched one episode of the latest Doctor. Not for me.

As a child scared by the Cybermen and Daleks (especially Davros), that’s the Doctor Who i remember. My favourite was Tom Baker. My Dad met him whilst on a business trip and he signed this postcard (and a £1 note) which was a nice Christmas present for me in 1980.

4 Likes

Yes, but “allo, allo” parodied everybody including the hapless Brits.

2 Likes

Yep - e.g. the hapless airmen.

Thing is, if you look hard enough, you can raise objection about anything.

Would Fawlty Towers be made now with Manuel?

Not a chance IMV.

2 Likes

Ah you mustn’t forget the bumbling policeman :policeman:‍♂

Going retro:

If you want drama & creativity with a romping along musical score and with minimal violence, then the original Thunderbirds would be a suggestion - I think it’s aimed at 5 years+, but many covet it well in to adulthood. Not a BBC production. I’d avoid the relatively recent cartoon versions.

Each episode is ~40 mins long.

If this grabs attention, then I’d suggest you can look up some of (the late) Gerry Anderson’s other productions – again, Wiki is a friend.

Captain Scarlet & the Mysterons is darker, morally founded in good v evil - although I should add the good guys started it!

5 Likes