Dual 1019 turntable, has anyone got one?

Hi,

My Dad bought one of these idler drive turntables in Hong Kong in 1967. A search tells me it has a big, torquey motor. The deck always sounded good to me, in its custom teak plinth with smoked perspex lid. Cartridge was a Shure.

Have you got one? What do you make of it?

Eventually, the auto return tonearm failed and there was a lot of corrosion on the head shell on Dad’s. It was consigned to my parents’ attic. An old Rega Planar 2 took its place.

I can’t help but wonder how doable fitting a Rega arm (or similar) would be. It’s a bit of a long shot but has anyone done it? And how did it turn out? I should add that I don’t have the skills to do such a fitting myself.

Thanks, Chris

Chris, the Dual 1019 is a true blue classic deck. It’s well worth cleaning it up but leaving it stock, without any unnecessary mods. I have its slightly later cousin, the 1229 and it’s another cool deck, especially in its original white plinth with a front panel that pulls down to reveal various accessories stored within. If you get the 1019 cleaned up and running, please post a picture here.

3 Likes

Thanks Richard. I had automatically assumed that a Rega arm or similar was the way to go if at all possible.

I’m intrigued to know how the cleaned up 1019 would sound here in my Naim set…

C.

You’re not wrong Richard! What a beaut!

7 Likes

That’s a nice looking deck Kevin :sunglasses:

Hmm… I have to agree

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.